Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
2008 GRP tuned .12 on-road engine >

2008 GRP tuned .12 on-road engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 GRP tuned .12 on-road engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys, has anyone had any tuning issues with the GRP? My buddy and I are still a bit traumatized after all the tuning issues we had with his old Ninja and would hate to go through something like that again. We couldn't even turn the needle on the ninja's carb 1 minute without the engine giving us a hassle.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I had no problems with the Ninja or GRP holding a tune.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by almtx3
Hey guys, has anyone had any tuning issues with the GRP? My buddy and I are still a bit traumatized after all the tuning issues we had with his old Ninja and would hate to go through something like that again. We couldn't even turn the needle on the ninja's carb 1 minute without the engine giving us a hassle.
i have no problem with my ninja! hehe... what problem u facing?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kanea6
iam running the grp .12 and .21 onroad engines in my cars, i use too run the ninja both .12 and .21 onroad motors and the ninja compared to the grp is awsome the ninja was lacking bottom end i found, but with the grp there is so much bottom end its not funny and better still there is heaps of top end, ive been racing against the novarossi's and there not that much quicker, but the grp is a great cheap motor
Hello, It's an old post but I too have a Ninja engine 12 and 21 do you know if the parts are interchangeable like rods and piston and sleeve? Thanks.

Bert
Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

GRP and Ninja parts are indeed interchangeable.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mtbkym01
Hey guys,

Anyway, with the GRP, what plugs are you guys running? (another reason I'm thinking about moving away from the Picco, is plugs are now $11 us each....OUCH )

Cheers
I think PICCO is catching up with computer printer mfg. Give the printers for $50 but charge another $50 for ink cartridge.

Picco do make super fast engines at a super value price, but their plugs are the most expensive, and can't be interchanged with others.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dnitro
I think PICCO is catching up with computer printer mfg. Give the printers for $50 but charge another $50 for ink cartridge.

Picco do make super fast engines at a super value price, but their plugs are the most expensive, and can't be interchanged with others.
I use OS P7 on my EVO 3 with no issues....last longer then picco plugs, cheaper, and easier to find!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default GRP's are good little mills....

I own a motor mod company, called Sinister Mods. I have built two of these little mills, and I have to say they are pretty strong little motors!

My team driver who races Dirt Oval, really likes this motor in a 1/10th Sprint car. So for you guys who are wondering if they are worth it... Modded, they are very much worth it, they are very strong, excellent running little motors.

Now, if you want my personal opinion, I would stay with Novarossi, because you know what you are getting from a Nova... They are the top of the barrel as far as motors are concerned. I have yet to have a bad Novarossi! Just something to think about.

I did notice one thing about the GRP's, they are very similar to the Old GRP Ninja line, but do have suttle differences that make them just a bit different.

Just my two cents, hope it helps....

Oh, and by the way GRP's interlocking pipe design is kick ass!!!! No springs or anything! way cool engineering....
Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default JLR notes....

Guys who are running JLR Red Dots..... Have I good news for you.... For those who find the JLR is a bit sluggish on the bottom..... Free Advice from a motor modder..... Get a Novarossi Carb from a RER3 and put it on the RED Dot..... Oh My God you will not even believe the difference! It is like a total night and day comparison.....

Some food for thought!

Merry Christmas !
Old 12-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Hi

I have been running in my GRP .12 MRT motor on RunnerTime fuel and i am having an issue with it.

I have started to lean the HSN and since doing this it now runs on for awhile and then comes back to idle. I have been using the MyTSN engine tuning guide and have tried everything and it is all the same result...

I am starting to think i have an air leak, but someone told me at the track today that you can't tune an engine until it looses it's pinch and that is should contine to run fuel through it?

Any thoughts?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hooked_on
Hi

I have been running in my GRP .12 MRT motor on RunnerTime fuel and i am having an issue with it.

I have started to lean the HSN and since doing this it now runs on for awhile and then comes back to idle. I have been using the MyTSN engine tuning guide and have tried everything and it is all the same result...

I am starting to think i have an air leak, but someone told me at the track today that you can't tune an engine until it looses it's pinch and that is should contine to run fuel through it?

Any thoughts?
Sounds like its too lean. Richen the HSN back about 1/2 turn and see if it still does it.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Don't qoute me but I have been hearing that with the GRP engines, once you break em in, your best interest is to tune it by the low speed needle. You know the routine, lean the low end then compensate by richening it on the high end.

Now I don't own a GRP so if someone can confirm what I have just said so we have no confusion. Hope this is true and it helps you out.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

my buddy has gone 2 races with the grp... no issues and impressively giving a hard time to other top motors.

as for me i am still in the breakin in process. already gone through 2 tanks and goin to continue for another 5-6 tanks . i will race it this weekend.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcabj
my buddy has gone 2 races with the grp... no issues and impressively giving a hard time to other top motors.

as for me i am still in the breakin in process. already gone through 2 tanks and goin to continue for another 5-6 tanks . i will race it this weekend.
well , just went through it's first race last weekend. although i did not perform very good but the motor and pipe combination was satisfactory, i believe a little more fine tuning here and there should do the trick , and a better clutch setup would show it's true potential.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.