Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Fuel Comparison/Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro Fuel Comparison/Review

Does anyone know if there is a thread already where everyone has discussed the various brands of nitro fuel? My search on the forum didn't turn up anything and a quick Google didn't give me much either.

I have been using O'Donnels (20%) in my Revo's for years. Just moved back to CT and my LHS here didn't carry it so I got some Blue Thunder (20%).

Anyone out there not happy with running Blue Thunder?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you can go to www.amainhobbies.com search for the fuel and they have a lis of them to look at but the blue thunder i ran in my boat and i had no problems with it
Old 05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Drive to Wolcott, CT and get soem Byrons Gen 2.

I drive from Bridgeport, CT there just for that stuff...
Old 05-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Branford Hobbies in Branford, CT carries the O'donnell 20 and 30% fuel. Thats what ive been using and have had no issues at all.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I bought a gallon of byrons gen2 (20%) to see what all the hype was about.I went back when I got low to buy two more gallons, it's just that good. My.21 has gone crazy fast on this stuff,power out the wazoo and cool temps. I was running Trinity monster horsepower (20%) don't get me wrong this is good fuel but gen2 is better.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

I use Nitrotane 30% and have never had a problem with it.

I dislike their containers though, rectangular metal ones.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

I used to be a big Tornado fuel (great stuff!) user, but after running Byrons Gen 2, I'm hooked! Lower temps and my motors run smoother. Try it!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Byrons Gen 2 is excellent stuff
Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have ran a few different fuels and which one I will run more has more to do with what I can get the easiest from the local shop(s) with out having to drive all over the place. I do like the Gen2 as it is better than the first gen by about 30 to 45 seconds on a tank for me with lower temps. The Sidewinder fuel has worked well for me too, seems that many of the plane and heli. guys like their air fuel more than Byrons. Yet there are many who like the Byron's for their planes and heli's. Preferance I guess. Losi's fuel is right there too and I think the newer Blue Thunder is better then some of the early stuff. If you are willing to drive for the Gen2, then do so. I am sure you will like it. If not than just about any of the other top fuel co.'s out there should be close to as good. At the current price of gas and the fuel to play with I try to get what I can close to me.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
I have ran a few different fuels and which one I will run more has more to do with what I can get the easiest from the local shop(s) with out having to drive all over the place. I do like the Gen2 as it is better than the first gen by about 30 to 45 seconds on a tank for me with lower temps. The Sidewinder fuel has worked well for me too, seems that many of the plane and heli. guys like their air fuel more than Byrons. Yet there are many who like the Byron's for their planes and heli's. Preferance I guess. Losi's fuel is right there too and I think the newer Blue Thunder is better then some of the early stuff. If you are willing to drive for the Gen2, then do so. I am sure you will like it. If not than just about any of the other top fuel co.'s out there should be close to as good. At the current price of gas and the fuel to play with I try to get what I can close to me.
yup, gas here in canada is like $1.30 a liter..... $1.30 x 3.8 = $4.94 a gallon.

and for a gallon of 30% nitrotane its like 42$... or 12$ a liter
Old 05-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i used to run o'donnell 30%, then tried some tilted clear, now i am running byron's gen2 and will switch no more...the fuel is awesome!! cooler temps, more power.the tilted is good also, i just like byron's over them all.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I've read these kinds of reviews on Gen2 nearly everywhere. The one thing I haven't found is longevity reviews in using it. Is there anybody out there that can say something like, "yes, the fuel gives you better performance, lower temps AND longer engine life"? I'd be content with somebody stepping up to the plate and simply saying that it lasts at least as long as any other fuel. I've got a gallon right behind me that I haven't opened as I'm still using up the last gallon+ of Trinity Platinum I have. Is it REALLY so good that I should not use Trinity Platinum 30% that I have and open the Gen2 30% bottle? When engines cost what they do it's a great question that doesn't seem to have too many answers.

All replies welcome, of course.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wolverini
I've read these kinds of reviews on Gen2 nearly everywhere. The one thing I haven't found is longevity reviews in using it. Is there anybody out there that can say something like, "yes, the fuel gives you better performance, lower temps AND longer engine life"? I'd be content with somebody stepping up to the plate and simply saying that it lasts at least as long as any other fuel. I've got a gallon right behind me that I haven't opened as I'm still using up the last gallon+ of Trinity Platinum I have. Is it REALLY so good that I should not use Trinity Platinum 30% that I have and open the Gen2 30% bottle? When engines cost what they do it's a great question that doesn't seem to have too many answers.

All replies welcome, of course.
thats kind of hard to answer. considering gen 2 hasnt been really on the market long enough to really tell the test of time. but i can say i run about every other weekend or more. 3 6 min heats and a 15-20 main in truggy. i also ran the 72 hour race in atlanta in feb (when i switched to gen 2 form gen 1) i run a RB .28 and still have a hard time turning it over by hand and i have to still heat the motor to get my started box to spin it when i get to the track. im 1.5 gallons in of gen 2 in my RB and dont see why it wouldnt last as long or longer then the other competitive fuel brands.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Gen 2 30% and never looked back
Old 05-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

since i am on my first gallon of gen2, i can't answer the longevity issue either. i did run gen 1 two years ago and i race every weekend except 3-4 times a year.i liked gen1 then. but LHS's stopped carrying it for some reason so i switched to o'donnell,then tilted. now that LHS's are carrying byron's i'm running it again and really like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.