Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 01-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

if you hit an immobile barrier/wall/track separator, knuckle tends to pop out. Pops back in though

cf shock towers are nice, shaves weight from those alloy units & allows more adjustments for susp. geometry

stock centax is good.

springs might be a little soft if you race on prepped track.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

OK I know about the dont crash principle. More wondering if I dont crash how long the arms and ballends last before flogging out.

Can somebody please tell me the height of the engine mounts and the diameter of the flywheel?

My V1RR EVO has 14mm engine mounts and 33mm flywheel, trying to do a comparison............
Old 01-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey bud..flogging out means what exactly?....Also,I'll give you my opinion of the car,but just out of curiosity,why are you so interested in it?..Esp since you own a v1r...(and since everyone seems to have skipped this car as a serious contender..esp. with the release of the 710)....
Old 01-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by fastharry
hey bud..flogging out means what exactly?....Also,I'll give you my opinion of the car,but just out of curiosity,why are you so interested in it?..Esp since you own a v1r...(and since everyone seems to have skipped this car as a serious contender..esp. with the release of the 710)....
hey.. don't scare him away!

i think everyone already forgot about hara..
Old 01-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Hehehe flogging out means to me an unacceptable amount of slop or play in the hingpin holes or the ball ends.

Interested in it since it looks quite good. Heaps of Mugens and such here, and I dont like the Snake cars for various reasons, mostly personal choice.

My V1R EVO is a kick ass car BTW I still love it even tho it is "old".
Old 01-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

also, i will just add a little philosophy to the mix of opinions..

most cars are awesome now a days.. you simply cannot go wrong in any direction.

brand loyalty is a major deciding factor for everyone, including myself. but for the completely new face to the r/c scene, the plethora of brands tends to create an overwhelming feeling. thus, these people ask about the pros and cons of each car they hear about or eye.

what these guys don't understand is that every car is going to have an infinite amount of possibilities.. or in the negative light, infinite amounts of minuses.. its all in the eye of the beholder.

now, of course, you can take a look at the innovative features of each pro car, and decide for yourself what you really want.

it's nice to experiment, and judge for yourself one car to another, and finally land on one you feel hooked with, but many people don't get this opportunity, either financially or time wise. so they look around, often times to this board, where many experienced people dwell, and ask away.

curiosity killed the cat, i must say. it becomes an endless struggle to discover the perfect performance vehicle, and so i must come to my OWN conclusion that you should stick with what you buy. and if it is an initial decision in that class, take a look at build quality, and materials quality of the brand in their other offerings. maybe you owned a yokomo car, liked their instructions/build process.. grab the GT4.. or maybe you loved the packaging of Kyosho kits, grab the EVO.. OR maybe you just felt a little venom in your system, in which case the Serpent is your choice..

in the case of HPI, their only other competition level car is the proceed, which is slightly dated now. the quality of the proceed is top notch, and that quality really did transition to the R40. each part seems to fuse with the next, creating a seamless structure. it is really a very sturdy car. HPI's other cars shout "introductory" at you, aimed at a squarely bashing level. not too inviting for the racer. but to be honest, this car is no where near the same level as the others. it is, in my opinion, at a much MUCH higher level.

i've had my rants about certain things of the R40 previously in this thread, but those were fits. just overreactions to things not necessarily all that important.

As said many times, by many people, your choice is exactly that, your choice. No matter what someone else may say, what it comes down to is preference.

Me? I'll be happily zipping away with my optioned out R40

---
Old 01-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default leaking diffs

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had experienced the problem with the diffs leaking may it be the front or the rear. Anyinput would be appc.

thanks Jason
Old 01-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: leaking diffs

Originally posted by jscamry
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had experienced the problem with the diffs leaking may it be the front or the rear. Anyinput would be appc.

thanks Jason
Hi, please check the gasket of the diffs, its a black gasket, it might be torn or dirty which leaves room for leaks. If the leak comes from the middle part where both halves meet, then its a gasket or seal problem. There is no way for it to really leak unless gasket is shot.

Btw, for those who are thinking of buying the R40, all I can say is that it is really a good car. Easy to setup and it easily reacts to small set up changes.

I joined a race last sunday and that was my R40's 1st outing on any track coz I just built it the night before. My kit came with Front One ways but the thing was we use rubber tires in our nitro races. Man! I never knew that you can't drive oneways with rubber tires (well that's what they say back here) because of the very aggressive nature the car tends to drive. Anyway, to cut the long story short, I was able to set up my car with ease still with the oneways and managed to bag 3rd with a 3-port HPI 12xs engine, and the rest had 5 port RBs, SIRIOs and NOVAs. I could have won it but my engine stalled which gave the other guys chance to catch up. Just an experience I'd like to share with people who are interested with the R40.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AMG......What tranced and FJ said are true......And I'll add one more thing........If anything hurts the R40 is the preconcieved notion that its the same quality as their other cars...its NOT....

Some people don't figure the car to be race worthy.....and they are dead wrong........Yeah,some of the ball cups have a little bit of play......and some of the arms need a little shimming.......but through a gallon and half of fuel,my car has held up very well.....

Look at the 710 and Mugen forums......People accepted the Mugen sloppy fit in the rear arms like its a mormal thing..and the fact the UNI's and front Knuckle's break like its a normal thing...

The 710 guys are all reetuning their set ups,the centax is a pain to set up,the car's steering servo is a pain...etc...But everyone accepts that as normal......

The HPI has a little slop in the steering,and its a few grams heavy,and they hate the car........

Why?.....Because of pre concieved notions......They hate the HPI before they even have it(because it DOESN'T have a racing heritage)......and put up with the 710 because it comes from a racing heritage....

All Cars on the market have some issue's.........But its their strong points that sell the car....and the HPI has plenty.....

Keep in mind that teh r40 is HPI's first generation car....and they are developing it....I guarentee you the car you see in less than a year will have running changes to it....(bigger gas tank,lighteened 2 sp with .8 pitch gearing,etc..).....

That being said......heres what I have to say about my R40....

The car drives extremely well......it is easier to go fast with this car than my tc3's.......The r40,being heavier than those cars,doesn't
accelerate the same(but what car does?).....But with the new lightweight shafts,and the 2 speed coming,it will be close...

it responds VERY well to small changes.......and is a very stable car to drive.....also,it has to be the easiest car on the market to work on.,.diffs pop right out...the servos can be taken out without removing the top tray...(as well as the tank)...

it holds its tweak,even on heavy impacts.....shows no tourque steer issues.........the centax works great......and the car has WAY more low speed steering than my tc3's.......

I like the fact that it comes with BOTH gear diffs (teh ball diff is coming soon)...Parts are inexpensive.....and the plastic,which I think is a shade to soft,makes up for that by holding up very well in crashes......

BTW,when I say to soft,I mean wear wise(ball cup stuff).......there is NO flex in the arms....

FYI,I take a piece of teflon tape and put it over the balls......it takes up the slop,and reduces wear..

I was all set to try a 710...but I have a good freind(treky 11) who told me I was crazy(esp with all the teething problems)...

So I'm sticking with the HPI...(and my tc3's).....

Remember,heres the bottom line.....No One has gotten on the HPI thread and said the car drove bad....

even these guys..

http://www.teammagic.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=186

Try the car....you'll like it..
Old 01-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Harry, did you clip your sig file short?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:36 AM
Tech Prophet

The 710 guys are all reetuning their set ups,the centax is a pain to set up,the car's steering servo is a pain...etc...But everyone accepts that as normal......
Harry, there is one thing that I cannot stand is the wrong facts that are put out.

No, we are not retuning our setups. Just trying to venture into different setups and explore the multitude of setup possibilities of the car. That's all. As they say, there are more ways to skin the cat !

The Centax is not a pain to set up. Loosen the clutch spring to 0.4 or 0.5 mm instead of 1 mm from the clutch nut thread, narrow the end float gap to 0.4 to 0.5 mm instead of 0.7 mm and the car accelerates like a bat outta hell !

The steering servo linkage measurement is taken to be correct if you use Sanwa / Airtronics servos. If you're using other servo makes, the linkage should be shorter.

The HPI has a little slop in the steering,and its a few grams heavy,and they hate the car........
Now who's having inferiority complex? We never said we hated any cars.

Keep in mind that teh r40 is HPI's first generation car....and they are developing it....
As I recall, the 710 can also be considered 1st generation...

The r40,being heavier than those cars,doesn't
accelerate the same(but what car does?).....
The 710?

it responds VERY well to small changes.......and is a very stable car to drive.....also,it has to be the easiest car on the market to work on.,.diffs pop right out...the servos can be taken out without removing the top tray...(as well as the tank)...
Which car does not? You make it seem that the R40 is the only one being able to do that.

I was all set to try a 710...but I have a good freind(treky 11) who told me I was crazy(esp with all the teething problems)...
Come to think of it, perhaps treky11 did the right thing by steering you off from Serpent !
Old 01-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Default graphite shock towers?

does anyone know where i can get graphite shock towers for the r40? i already have the the lite shafts and the chassis.where can i get those towers? thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

lilrobby if you live anywhere around an LHS, stop by and have them order for you.

last time i checked the rear towers were not able to be delivered yet, but i did get the front ones in promptly.

those little CF shock-bottom raisers look so cool
Old 01-19-2004, 09:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Harry, there is one thing that I cannot stand is the wrong facts that are put out.

No, we are not retuning our setups. Just trying to venture into different setups and explore the multitude of setup possibilities of the car. That's all. As they say, there are more ways to skin the cat !

The Centax is not a pain to set up. Loosen the clutch spring to 0.4 or 0.5 mm instead of 1 mm from the clutch nut thread, narrow the end float gap to 0.4 to 0.5 mm instead of 0.7 mm and the car accelerates like a bat outta hell !

The steering servo linkage measurement is taken to be correct if you use Sanwa / Airtronics servos. If you're using other servo makes, the linkage should be shorter.

Now who's having inferiority complex? We never said we hated any cars.

As I recall, the 710 can also be considered 1st generation...

The 710?

Which car does not? You make it seem that the R40 is the only one being able to do that.

Come to think of it, perhaps treky11 did the right thing by steering you off from Serpent !
Who cares what anybody thinks of any of these cars. I just wish guys would 'man up', make a decision on their own, and quit asking everyone else what they think of a car.

The result is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS the same. You hear mostly great stuff from people who own the car, and bad stuff or claims that 'ours is just as good or better, yadayadayada...' from people who run another car. Then the eventual arguement pops up.

So, why ask in the first place. The best thing to do is for people to do their own research, make up your own mind, and if their not happy with the purchase, sell it and buy another car.

Simple!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Darkseid
Who cares what anybody thinks of any of these cars. I just wish guys would 'man up', make a decision on their own, and quit asking everyone else what they think of a car.

The result is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS the same. You hear mostly great stuff from people who own the car, and bad stuff from people who run another car.

So, why ask in the first place. The best thing to do is do your own research, make up your own mind, and if your not happy with the purchase, sell it and buy another car.

Simple!
what you say is true, no doubt about it.. just that some people feel satisfaction in knowing that public opinion is backing their future investments

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.