Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 11-23-2003, 08:29 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been reading all this and trying to grasp exactly what the argument was about.

Whats being said...
-Other cars are better out of the box, but also cost a bit more...
-Other say that the R40 is a good car, just not as well stocked out of the box

This seems to be agreed on, so whats the debate about?

Heres my take on this. I'm not a nationals level racer I have no delusions about that. I'm a club level racer who likes to compete with other club level racers. So it doesn't matter to me whether I owned the regular Trinity RefelxNT instead of the Team Only addition. It doesn't matter to me whether the car comes with all the hopups or just a few. Do the darn shocks work? Fine, then I don't care if their aluminum! Its not that big a deal to me.

Another thing to remember is that not all tracks/drives need a one-way. I considered getting a G4, but one thing I knew I would want is a front diff. I don't consider that a flaw in the kit, its just personal preference.

And just to clear something up, ALL team drivers cars are very different than what we buy out the box. THAT GOES FOR THE G4 AS WELL. Take a look at Cyrul's car in RC Car Action. How much of that car was box stock? Not any more than Atushi Hara's R40. So again whats the debate about?

I only disagree with one thing thats been said. I think the R40 is well above RTR status......I mean come on. I compared what it comes with to what my ReflexNT came with, and the only difference is aluminum goodies(heavy aluminum goodies) here and there. Plus the R40 comes with sway bars which are about a $75 investment on the ReflexNT($50 front, $25 rear). And that it! Thats about the only difference! And the ReflexNT was considered an all out race car when it launched. So I think we can at least agree that the R40 is above RTR level.

One other thing to consider is that with the seeming endless battle Mugen and Serpent have waged in the nitro wars, neither is winning many big races lately. So what really says their cars are any better than anyone else's. Just a thought...
Old 11-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by rc_alan
The new 75cc fuel tank for the G4 are now in stock...

Cool! Thats good to see. A company recognizes a problem, and they addressed it.

Sweet! You gotta love when that happens!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:33 AM
Regional Moderator

just trying to show the for the same price, you can have a much better car...
For the "same price"? Where can I find a the top class G4 for $269 like I can the R40? That would make me consider the G4 again!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

RCMushroom have the g4 for 255

Last edited by rodrigo1508; 11-23-2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One other thing to consider is that with the seeming endless battle Mugen and Serpent have waged in the nitro wars, neither is winning many big races lately

not for nothing,the R40 just won the german nationals..
Old 11-23-2003, 09:07 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by rodrigo1508
RCMushroom have the g4 for 255
Is that the E-class?

-Edit-

Well I took a look and you really can't tell. They list the features of both types of cars. But I would have to guess that it was the C-class(less expensive model)

Last edited by Darkseid; 11-23-2003 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

there it says that is the pro version but you could ask them
"Team Magic G4 Pro Kit" the Pro is the E and the Racer is the C
They could have it wrong but I think If you plan to buy it ask them first
Old 11-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by fastharry
not for nothing,the R40 just won the german nationals..
I don't understand the debate either. Out of the box, the r40 is a good car. Alum shocks, just added weight considering the stock ones work great. I'm not racing on a national level so I don't need every hop up. Yes I want the graphite shock mounts but that's about it. And a front one-way, hey like someone said, all tracks don't call for a one-way. If you ask me, there is no debate, oh, and btw, I have raced agaist a couple of G4s. the car looks nice, but you just can't beat the price of the r40 parts and the ease in which they can be obtained.

Last edited by C0NTENDER; 11-23-2003 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Im not from Germany but that seems to be a rubber-based championship.

Here are some results from the foam class:

http://www.mugenseiki.com/2003gc-touring.htm
http://www.mid-mugen.de/cgi-bin/news...20030908175427

This is beside the point, I know. Just a clarification...
Old 11-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Regional Moderator

After I get mine, the only hopups I plan on looking at are:

-Graphite shock towers
-Graphite side brace

After those, I'll have to think hard about anything else.

maybe.........maybe...........

-lightweight shafts
-HPI new upper deck
Old 11-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

i dont get the point of this little discussion really. the R40's base price is cheaper than the serpent and the mugen cars and only comparable to the racer version of the G4. so of course it doesnt include the optional parts that we would like.

rc_alan:

no matter how hard you try to convince me, i'll still get an R40 . i've already had a full blown kawahara v one rr, and i really dont want to get another one of those again (good car, just i want something else).
Old 11-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by C0NTENDER
Why would you want the 3racing graphite upper deck, isn't it the same as the stock one?
similar in shape but has more cutouts. i dont like the hpi optional one cuz it has too many cutouts and looks way narrow. i think the 3racing one is a happy medium.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by johan
Im not from Germany but that seems to be a rubber-based championship.

Here are some results from the foam class:

http://www.mugenseiki.com/2003gc-touring.htm
http://www.mid-mugen.de/cgi-bin/news...20030908175427

This is beside the point, I know. Just a clarification...
Love it when he gets put in his place !!!

Here's one for my sig.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

johan, great post and info on the German Nationals... I see Mugen really did well there... I'm not trying to sell any car or tell anyone to buy this and that car... Buy what you want. If most people here just drive at club races... Great, the R40 will do well for you. And again, it all comes down to driving... But after that... The car can make the difference between winning and losing... Funny thing though... When I read in the Serpent, Kyosho, Associated Electric, Mugen and Trinity forums, there just seems to be a different attitude about racing... Don't get me wrong, HPI has taken a big step in getting back in the RC racing business with the R40... and like I said I bought one because of the hype and reading about it... Not my first car and if it was, I wouldn't have nothing to compare it to... Again, for some, the R40 is great and all they need... Strange though that when I go the Cystal park RC race way, KZ RC race way... "had the 1/5 scale nationals there this year and Revelation... Roar 1/10 nationals this year, I don't see any R40's.. Ok mine and maybe one or two others... You want to know what all the drivers and team drivers are using??? You guess it... G4's, Mugen's, Serpent's, Kyosho's, Cen's, and NTC3's... Team drivers like in Robbie Collins, Berry Baker and Mark Pavidis and Steve Nguyen of OFNA just to name a few... They all know great products and companies that have a racing history in winning... Ok, except for Cen... lol... HPI had a great start and I hope that continues in the future... In them doing well, we'll see better parts and products for that car. The Proceed is pretty much dead if not on it's last breath. The goal is to have fun and enjoy racing while trying to beat the next guy... and with that, enjoy the R40... No debate... Never was.

PS.. No one was talking about the Trinity Reflex NT... That car was long on the tooth and was replaced by the G4... I guess some don't read all the posts when trying to quote someone... And if anyone is racing with rubber tires on... Skip it... Never mine...
Old 11-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Regional Moderator

PS.. No one was talking about the Trinity Reflex NT... That car was long on the tooth and was replaced by the G4... I guess some don't read all the posts when trying to quote someone...
rc_alan: Ummm.......Actually, I was the one talking about the ReflexNT. And the only reason I was talking about it was because I spoke of comparing the specs of the R40 to the specs of the ReflexNT, because I owned one. I just mentioned it to show that the R40 comes with some items that even the ReflexNT didn't, and the ReflexNT was designed to be an all out race car. I wasn't trying to quote anyone that I was aware of. Maybe I missed something...but I was just speaking of why I'm thinking of buying an R40, I wasn't trying to quote anyone.

As for the different 'type' of talk in the other forums. I'm kinda at a loss to see what that has to do with anything. You seem to persist on three topics over and over again...

1. you like the car.......okay then why have you said its on RTR level...

2. its not as good as the others........okay, then why does HPI seem to be doing well with it dispite having a team thats much smaller than other companies.

3. buy whatever car you want.......okay, then why continue to go out of your way to tell everyone here why this car isn't as good as others.

You say "No debate...Never was", but everytime someone says something good about the kit, you come with something about why Serpent or Mugen are better.

Am I missing something.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.