HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Contender - almost everyone was running the escudo. I think 2 guys ran stratus, one ran a lambo all the rest were escudo in nitro mod. I might have missed one or two but the far majority were escudo.

Check your private mail too contender.

AMGRacer - the escudo body is very good, lots of steering and that big wing really helps. Depending on the track and your setup skills the body will work well for you. I think with a good driver and some setup skill that most of the popular bodies can work well on any car. That said the escudo is one of my favorites.

Those wingy things last long if you dont hit the boards. Me, I don't even bother putting them on anymore. But they do make a difference, so if have the patience to keep reattaching them or don't hit things too often then certainly use them.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by treky11
AMGRacer - the escudo body is very good, lots of steering and that big wing really helps. Depending on the track and your setup skills the body will work well for you. I think with a good driver and some setup skill that most of the popular bodies can work well on any car. That said the escudo is one of my favorites.

Those wingy things last long if you dont hit the boards. Me, I don't even bother putting them on anymore. But they do make a difference, so if have the patience to keep reattaching them or don't hit things too often then certainly use them.
Well looks like the wings are out for me, I smash boards all over the place. Agree with you on the body theory, I can usually get any body to work nicely for me. However my track is very low grip right now and a bit more aero effect will not hurt! Thanks.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check your private mail too contender.

Checked and thanks, I will respond back tomorrow.

Fastharry - Thanks for the response to the shaft question.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

What compound of tire does the R40 like?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Craig. Its the track that likes the foams not the car. Depending on the car setup, track surface and the tempature you will run different foams.

I have run everything from 35-45 fronts and rears depending on conditions.

There simply is no answer anyone can give you on that. Go to the track you will be running at and see what others are running.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you really want to get upset with anyone about the shafts, complain to Randy from Ohio, he protested about them the first day we were there as soon as he heard someone else had them. I think it was him that go those of us that had shafts in the situation of having to take them out. He also brought it up during the drivers meeting to make sure again.
This wasn't Randy's fault... he only complained AFTER they told him that he had to remove those shafts. He was arguing that if the Americans had to remove the parts, then so should the Japanese... either that or let anyone that had the parts keep them in. He was pushing for an even playing field for everyone, and that's what it should have been. He also suggested that if the Japanese were allowed to use different parts, then they should be in their own class... maybe R40 modified and the rest of us in R40 stock.

This was HPI's dumb rule, not Randy's.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Actually Randy didnt even bring them to the track. So there is now way he could have takent them out of his car. He had them but didnt bring them.

I got there on Thursday with a friend and we were talking to someone pitting next to him about the hollow shafts. The first words out of his mouth were "I'll protest that, your not allowed to use them" "I had them in my had but didnt bring them"

He NEVER argued to let anyone that had them run them. He did the exact opposite.

I had never even met him, nor did I know his name but he was happy to protest me using them because he didn't have them.

You can say what you want, but I was told by HPI on Thursday that I could run them. Then after someone protested I wasn't allowed to. I took them out of my car right away even though I was told I could run them for the first qual. They were willing to do this because they were okayed the day before and that morning they said no. So since the time was short I was permitted to use them, but I didn't. I switched them quickly.

Like I said earlier, it wouldn't have made a difference as far as how I finished so I don't really care. But the facts are the facts.

If it wasn't him that protested, well maybe it was someone else. But he did get loud about it right away, and did bring it up in both drivers meetings.

If you doubt any of this ask Fastharry. He too had them, he ran them for the first round of quals but them removed them. And he witnessed all the above.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

I pitted with Randy all weekend and he was mad that the Japanese got to use parts that the US drivers could not use, I'm sure of that. He wanted an even playing field, not an uneven one. If someone complained that other U.S. guys were allowed to use the parts, it wasn't him. His point was always that the Japanese should not be able to use parts that we couldn't use.

Regardless of whether the U.S. guys were allowed or not allowed seems irrelivant.. the fact is, the Japanese guys were allowed to run those parts. And Randy certainly didn't make any rules... he's not an HPI employee, so how can he be blamed for anything? HPI made the rules, and the rule was that the Japanese guys could use parts that U.S. drivers could not use, and that's a dumb rule.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

I agree he was mad. I was too. But the point is he didn't have to start protesting my use of them just because he left his home.

I agree the field should have been level and I got vocal with HPI about it. But all he did was help the Japanese have an advantage over the rest of us. He could have kept quiet about it so at least some of us had a chance to run them.

Had he not complained, the ruling I and others that got the okay ruling the day before would have run them. But since he complained and started going on about the commercial availability rule we had to take them out.

He made sure that since he didnt have them with him that anyone else that did wouldnt be allowed to run them. Childish in my opinion.

It won't be a problem in the future, HPI has fixed the rules. The new rule - if its available anywhere you can run it. The rule was made to keep one driver that had gotten hold of some prototype parts from running them. Unfortunately it had an adverse effect once somebody started complaining.

I said enough on this and won't comment on it anymore. I know what happened.

Last edited by treky11; 10-16-2003 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, enough on this topic... dumb rule, has been fixed. Not a problem anymore.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

this rule was to help out the jap guys. without it they would lose, they know the americans are better
Old 10-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Americans are better? That's why Atsushi Hara is the Roar National Champion?

Your use of the phrase "Jap" to describe Japanese people is pretty lame dude. If your gonna use a racist term, then why do you even drive an R40. HPI is owned by a "Jap" and the R40 was designed by a "Jap" too. Idiots on this board man. So many of them.

btw, I'm American, just to clear the air. If you want to be part of this hobby, you cant be prejudice like that. First off, its just dumb; secondly, its an international hobby. Asia, U.S., Europe, South America. So cm'on, have a little more manners.

Last edited by BossPlaya; 10-16-2003 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Ok.........
Well I'm done with my research everyone tells me to buy the MTX 3 so I'm going with the R40. Just seems easier to tune and I'm not as much as a perfectionist about small details. After I hit the wall several times I doubt either one of them will run very well anyways so... anything other then the front oneway to buy before I start building it Sat? Lubes ,oils, Loctite, Special tools? Any other hop ups I can't go without before I put it all together?Anything I need to lookout for over tightening or unclear instructions? I'd hate to repeat any mistakes that I might make that everyone else knows about. all input will be greatly appricated! Thx
Old 10-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

ok first off make sure you don't overtighten the 2speed clutch shoes, several people have cracked them that I know of so far.

on the centax take your time go over the pics several times before you even touch it.

same goes for both front and rear shafts.

as for special tools you should already have what you need HPI supplies the more R40 specific tools like the wrench needed to build the 2 speed.

and locktite is a must.

as for oils etc etc I would build it stock first then if the need arises fine tune it from there.

for me out the box was damn near perfect for me, although I may add 2 more spider gears to the front & rear diff as well as diff oil 3k or so, but that's for next season.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Treky- Going to the track wont work cause its winter here and no one is racing. And the comment about the what the track likes isnt always true. I ran 40/40 on my NTC3 and it worked good everywhere.I was just curious,thought if I had extra cash I would order tires for next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.