Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 05-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by performula
What shore are the factory HPI tires in the kit?
Perf- I believe they are 40 somethings. Sorry if that isn't much help.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

40 35 me thinks.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Oh man, I finally got to run mine yesterday. Felt nice to finally get some lap time on it. Too bad I was flaming out all over the place. Took it to the track owner and he tuned it for me just by listening. I still managed to lose the retaining screw on the clutch bell! At one point it was starting to get frustrating, but once it stayed lit for a full tank, I was definitely hooked on this nitro thing.

It never shifted into second gear, so I need to play with the 2-speed setting. It also pushes like a pregnant woman at full dilation. It has Hara's set up on it (minus the optional rear mounts). If his car pushes like this, I'd be very surprised. What's the first thing I should try? I went a bit softer ont he front springs, but it was only a bit better. Also, I'm running rubber tires.

Which brings me to my next question: would there be a drastic effect in the handling if I ran 26mm foams in the back instead of 30mm? I really screwed myself with my side exhaust engine. The header clears the pulley just fine, but a 30mm tire won't clear the header under compression! So I had to run my rubbers.

Also, anyone have a URL or know where I can find spring rates for the HPI springs?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by gibbous
Oh man, I finally got to run mine yesterday. Felt nice to finally get some lap time on it. Too bad I was flaming out all over the place. Took it to the track owner and he tuned it for me just by listening. I still managed to lose the retaining screw on the clutch bell! At one point it was starting to get frustrating, but once it stayed lit for a full tank, I was definitely hooked on this nitro thing.

It never shifted into second gear, so I need to play with the 2-speed setting. It also pushes like a pregnant woman at full dilation. It has Hara's set up on it (minus the optional rear mounts). If his car pushes like this, I'd be very surprised. What's the first thing I should try? I went a bit softer ont he front springs, but it was only a bit better. Also, I'm running rubber tires.

Which brings me to my next question: would there be a drastic effect in the handling if I ran 26mm foams in the back instead of 30mm? I really screwed myself with my side exhaust engine. The header clears the pulley just fine, but a 30mm tire won't clear the header under compression! So I had to run my rubbers.

Also, anyone have a URL or know where I can find spring rates for the HPI springs?

** What brand&rating and which tire inserts? Are you running on concrete or asphault? How is the traction; low med, or high? Is it pushing at both "on-power" and "off-power"? You might start with higher grip front tires or lower grip rear tires or try softer springs in front.

** I have a friend who runs 26mm all the way around and it works ok; not optimal , just OK.

I think http://www.hpiracing.com ... ( I just checked and their springrate PDF has a bad link rigth now). Silver - soft Black - med, and GOld Firm. If you want the exact spring constant I can give them to you as well.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Clutch is a pile of junk

I don;t see how anyone gets this thing to work.Have tried everything .have to use 8 shims to get all they play out.The the spring breaks and the clutch starts sticking.got maybe 10 laps
for ahole race day.Looks like time to go back to the mugen!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Clutch is a pile of junk

Originally posted by athrun
I don;t see how anyone gets this thing to work.Have tried everything .have to use 8 shims to get all they play out.The the spring breaks and the clutch starts sticking.got maybe 10 laps
for ahole race day.Looks like time to go back to the mugen!!!!!!
Mine has worked really well for 18 months after making some simple adjustments to it.

Tell us how you go with the Mugen.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by gibbous

The Hara setting does not work very well with rubbers generally.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...postid=1310737
Old 05-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm expecting the kyosho V one RRR floating mount to use with the lola body, does anyone know if the HPI proceed floating mount will work on the R-40????
Old 05-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by KLANDERMAN
I'm expecting the kyosho V one RRR floating mount to use with the lola body, does anyone know if the HPI proceed floating mount will work on the R-40????
Any 1/8th car is way too wide to fit on to a sedan.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Clutch....

Hey all....

I'm having lots of issues getting the clutch to engage fully.
I've put uew weights in and a new clutch shoe.
There's almost nil play in the bell. everything's the way it says in the manual....

It engages way too high, I've got the tension spring loosened off as far as it will go and it's still too high, and is slips too...

Anyone got any suggestions/tips/mods that can make it work??

kyle
Old 05-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Tech Adept

i am using kyosho clutch. it works fine.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Tech Rookie

On your r40?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Tech Addict

I had clutch issues also. Installed the entire clutch from Mugen MTX3, including the flywheel. It works perfectly.

Dave
Old 05-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Dave, I shall do some research on that part...

Last edited by Kyl3; 05-08-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

yes. i am using kyosho clutch for for R40. No problem with tat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.