Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yeah even though the LW 2speed's gearing is less, with less rotation mass it spools up quickly. So it's faster than stock. Try new pinions before changing the spur.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by KLANDERMAN
HARK on the LW I will try the 58T+22T and 52T+ 28T set up to see if my car loses a bit of torque and gains top end... I don't know if it'll work, but I'll give it a try...
that set up will give you more top end in first and it will kill your bottom end.
That is a pretty drastic change in gearing. your engine may not have the torque requiered (sp) to pull that high a gear off the line. witch will mean you'll need to change the engagement on the centax.

I'm with Hark on this one try changing the pinion first, like 2-3 teeth at a time then use the spurs for fine tuning.

Or you could go with the free option let up on the throttle a bit, slower is faster. LOL
Old 04-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanx for the remark, I just about ordered every gear they have for the R40 LW tranny, so on saturday I will have a blast tryin out combos to see whichone suits me better... As for the pinon, I have 21T and 27T with spurs in 60T and 53T. How about this 60T+22T and 53T+29T ?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

my self i'd go up 2 teeth on the first speed. but it all depends on how much your actually breaking loose.

as for the second gear you will see a difference in the top end for sure. just make sure you readjust your shift point.

I'm still waiting to see for myself how the LW tranny will perform. I finally managed to get the gear off the clutch bell without warping the clutchbell. hopefully i'll get to test it out by sunday.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Klan where did you find the gears? tower?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by regg151
Klan where did you find the gears? tower?
yeah I bought every single one, except for the 29T pinion and the 59T spur
Old 04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by regg151
my self i'd go up 2 teeth on the first speed. but it all depends on how much your actually breaking loose.

as for the second gear you will see a difference in the top end for sure. just make sure you readjust your shift point.

I'm still waiting to see for myself how the LW tranny will perform. I finally managed to get the gear off the clutch bell without warping the clutchbell. hopefully i'll get to test it out by sunday.
60T and 22T are the top gear for the first... I'll go ahead an try 60T+21T and 53T+28T too see or 60+22 and 53+28 to lose a bit of torque on the first...
Old 04-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The 60/21 or 60/22 may to a bit too sluggish on take-off. If your car has not shed at least 70 grams or more, that ratio will put you at a disadvantage. If your car is fully stock, you might want to go with the 58/22 first gear combo. If your car has shed some grams, then you might want to try the 59/22 first gear combo to give you enough punch/snap at the bottom for smooth, quick take-off but not too much to spin your car out or put you sideways and hinder your take-off or acceleration out of corners.

Last edited by JLock; 04-07-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JLock
The 60/21 or 60/22 may to a bit too sluggish on take-off. If your car has not shed at least 70 grams or more, that ratio will put you at a disadvantage. If your car is fully stock, you might want to go with the 58/22 first gear combo. If your car has shed some grams, then you might want to try the 59/22 first gear combo to give you enough punch/snap at the bottom for smooth, quick take-off but not too much to spin your car out or put you sideways and hinder your take-off or accelleration out of corners.
Thanks for the imput, actually my car has all th graphite parts, the LW chassis and the LW 2 speed, so Im far passed those 70 grams. Right now I was usinf the 59+21T and 53+27 combo that comes with the 2 speed but a tooth broke off the 59T spur, so I switched to 60+21 and kept the 53+27 for the second gear. I feel that I have a good take off, and in corners it tends to slide out, too much torque, so what I; like is less torque, and more top end... lol
Old 04-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

OK here is how I gear my cars (nothing to say this is a good way).

Firstly I whack any 1st gear on dont really matter too much. Then you run the car until you hit the deceleration point on the longest straight (brake or let off point). You ideally want the car to be hitting peak RPM at this point, gear to suit this. Now you will be in the ballpark.

However now you need to find 1st gear. What you need to do with this is look at the slowest corner you have on the track and the speed you take that corner at. If you are almost at a stop you need a low gear, if you are rolling quite quickly then you can use a higher 1st gear. You want to minimise the gap between 1st and 2nd gear if possible so that on shifting the motor does not drop too far out of its peak power band. So you want to use the highest 1st gear you can based on the speed of your slowest corner. If you run too low a 1st gear on a fast track it will make the car handle strangely as your 1st gear will be far too low not matching the speed of the track.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by AMGRacer
OK here is how I gear my cars (nothing to say this is a good way).

Firstly I whack any 1st gear on dont really matter too much. Then you run the car until you hit the deceleration point on the longest straight (brake or let off point). You ideally want the car to be hitting peak RPM at this point, gear to suit this. Now you will be in the ballpark.

However now you need to find 1st gear. What you need to do with this is look at the slowest corner you have on the track and the speed you take that corner at. If you are almost at a stop you need a low gear, if you are rolling quite quickly then you can use a higher 1st gear. You want to minimise the gap between 1st and 2nd gear if possible so that on shifting the motor does not drop too far out of its peak power band. So you want to use the highest 1st gear you can based on the speed of your slowest corner. If you run too low a 1st gear on a fast track it will make the car handle strangely as your 1st gear will be far too low not matching the speed of the track.
NICE! thanks AMG... As I was saying earlier I will definately try this on saturday, The car feels fine as it is, but could use more to end, I will switch to a 28T pinion and a 22T pinion for less torque as the slowest turn is not that slow, but when I punch the throttle I sometimes spinoff and lose time...
Old 04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the imput, actually my car has all th graphite parts, the LW chassis and the LW 2 speed, so Im far passed those 70 grams. Right now I was usinf the 59+21T and 53+27 combo that comes with the 2 speed but a tooth broke off the 59T spur, so I switched to 60+21 and kept the 53+27 for the second gear. I feel that I have a good take off, and in corners it tends to slide out, too much torque, so what I; like is less torque, and more top end... lol
That's cool, dude. I do a lot more big track racing in TX and with a free-flowing ribbon track (as the RCRCNT track of the 200mm Tour Car Nationals), my suggestion works the best because you rarely use the brakes unless you are pitting.

Last edited by JLock; 04-07-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

NICE! thanks AMG... As I was saying earlier I will definately try this on saturday, The car feels fine as it is, but could use more to end, I will switch to a 28T pinion and a 22T pinion for less torque as the slowest turn is not that slow, but when I punch the throttle I sometimes spinoff and lose time...
Oh, you might want to check your camber (to see if it has not be knocked off on one side) or possibly change your droop. I had the same problem and change increased my droop one millimeter, holding the camber and toe-in the same, and it solved the spin-out problem.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JLock
That's cool, dude. I do a lot more big track racing in TX and with a free-flowing ribbon track (as the RCRCNT track of the 200mm Tour Car Nationals is), my suggestion works the best because you rarely use the brakes unless you are pitting.
I rarely use the brakes, basically we have a fast flow track, Id say around 200ft straight, but the first turn is kinda tricky check it out...
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-pista_rc-roosevelt.jpg  
Old 04-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

I rarely use the brakes, basically we have a fast flow track, Id say around 200ft straight, but the first turn is kinda tricky check it out...
That track is not much different from the 4 Aces Racing track in Las Vegas. Your track has more option configurations than our track does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.