Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Question for L.A. area R40 owners

Originally posted by 007kel
I see quit a few L.A. area R40 owners. I was just wondering, where do you guys get your R40 parts and hop ups around here in L.A. I'm in Eagle Rock and Pasadena. Hobby People Pasadena doesn't have much (as far as hop ups), Elite Hobby doesn't have much either. I would have to go to Ultimate Hobbies in Orange to get my spur gears for the .8 speed or any other hop up. Where do you guys go (besides online)? Thanks in advance.
You could try Tony's hobbies in West Covina. Not sure how much you know about the history between Tony's and Elite, but I'll let you decide if you want to go there. Tony's does stock a lot of parts though. It's kind of a chore getting there since they are almost mid way between the 60 and 10 FWYs on Hacienda Blvd.

There's always Pegasus in Monte Clare. Isn't there a gyro's hobbies in your neck of the woods?

www.mircorcshop.com is a good source too, although they don't have the .8 stuff.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Rapid Roy thanks for the info. Yeah I kinda know the history between Elite and Tony's. I go to Elite once a week. You heard about the break in a few months ago at Tony's right? I do go to Tony's once in a while, but his prices (overall) were higher than Elite's. I didn't know he stocked alot of R40 parts though, I'll look there more often. Pegasus is out of my way, I would prefer to go to Ultimate. Microrc is a good source, but they don't have much hop ups.

And there is Gizmo's, they claim to have all HPI parts (but their price markups are kinda high, might as well order online) But whenever I go there, they don't have the R40 part or they need a part #.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks a bunch. Im gonna rewire it right now.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default r40

I am selling my r40 check it out in the for sale section.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by BF
Here's a good one ...

HPI stripped dealership from an Australian Company this year as they where known underperformers.

A small southern hobbyshop now has the dealership and Tower in the US has now banned exports of HPI products to Australia???

I emailed Tower as to why .au is banned from HPI parts and they said :

My local hobby shop told me there is no HPI agent in .au and he can't get parts.

I haven't tried stormer yet but the Hong Kong shops are closer and cheaper for postage. But still, where are my parts coming from? Time for another car I think.
There are parts coming soon for the HPI from Frontline Hobbies. Most LHS are setting up accounts right now (Hobbystation definately is) and Frontline should have parts coming in the short order. Hopefully parts supply will be back to normal or better soon. I would not give up the R40 just yet.

BTW I buy around 95% of my gear from overseas and it works out nicely usually.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rc_king1
I know about Tower Hobbies and the HPI super light weight chassis, but where can a person pick-up the special Hara chassis that you speak of? Thanks
I have only seen it available in Japanese shops myself. I just picked up the Hara one piece engine mount from RC Champ who are an advertiser on this website.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Tabushi
2 questions about the R40 :

1.- Too much difference between the normal kit and the 2004 edition kit ?

2.- How about plastics and all around parts quality ?? ... really HPI its making this kit for REAL racing ??

thanks !
1. The 2004 kit is the one to get. Revised geometry and overall lighter.

2. Parts quality in my opinion are on part with the other pro level kits out there.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Downhere in Chile (Southamerica) we run IFMAR based rulebook but closed to rubber tires ... its the R40 a good option with rubbers ? (the 2004 edition kit comes with 2 diffs ?) ...

Finally, what is your opinnions between the R40 v/s VoneRRR, Serpent 710 and FW05RR ?

thnaks guys !!
Old 12-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was close to getting a serpent but parts are expensive, hard to come by, and the cars are hard to set up. And no one stocks kyosho parts any where near me. And the r40 is cheap thats why i go it.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Downhere in Chile (Southamerica) we run IFMAR based rulebook but closed to rubber tires ... its the R40 a good option with rubbers ? (the 2004 edition kit comes with 2 diffs ?) ...

Finally, what is your opinnions between the R40 v/s VoneRRR, Serpent 710 and FW05RR ?

thnaks guys !!
I run mine on rubbers and it is as fast as most of the other cars out there on rubbers. Only thing holding it back is me

There are actually 3 versions of the R40. US, Japanese and 2004 spec. The japanese and 2004 spec are both oneway equiped cars. Only the US spec comes with the 2 diffs.

A complete diff set with everything needed is only US$18.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Tech Initiate

We are 120 drivers in my area and I am the only one with an HPI R40.

I am far from being ridiculous and I am located at the medium of the classification. thus much 710, FW05 and RRR are behind me.

These are my fingers which prevents to me from being at the head.

This is a really good car which deserves to be better known in France.

To my knowledge there are only 20 HPIR40 in France. It is a pity
Old 12-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Minus
We are 120 drivers in my area and I am the only one with an HPI R40.

I am far from being ridiculous and I am located at the medium of the classification. thus much 710, FW05 and RRR are behind me.

These are my fingers which prevents to me from being at the head.

This is a really good car which deserves to be better known in France.

To my knowledge there are only 20 HPIR40 in France. It is a pity
Glad to know that.....to be honest, if USA does import the 2004 spec, this car will be more popular then 710, RRR or MTX3 (not sure about NTC3...that car is just too hot)....the car itself is NOT any slower then those, otherwise, Atsushi Hara will not win the ROAR National with the exact same car back to back....

I saw Hara's car (replica probably) at the Chicago hobby show...the car is no different then my stock R40 except all the 2004 spec hop up plus a little bling bling...Hara is good for sure, but if R40 is just another RS4, there is no way HARA can win the National against the other big boys.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

thnaks guys !!
I cannot see there is a car is good on rubber tires but bad on foams, vice versa........any touring car are capable to mount foam or rubber tires on it........the different is, SETUP...rubber tires setup should be totally different then foams, due to the roll out difference and the sidewall effect between the 2.

Opinions between RRR, 710, FW, NTC3, MTX3 and R40 are impossible to answer.........RRR took the world champ, 710 took over Europe....Mugen took over Asia (untill Kyosho took it away)...and NTC3 are the local (usa and oversea) all time favorite.....and R40, just as good as these other cars.

All I can say is....get a R40, you will not be ended up not as fast as the others...ppl heres already proved that this car can race at big time show, Atsushi Hara won National back to back with this car....but ppl still buy others because PARTS support, Price of the parts, availability of the parts.........then there are some DIE HARD brand name fans that won't support other except this specific brand (like Serpent and Mugen).......so many reasons, and impossilbe to answer....
Old 12-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

hpi r40 for sale on ebay less then 7 hours going at a cheap price
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT
Old 12-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-hpi-front.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.