Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 06-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default thinking of changing cars

this is a question for the the former NTC3 drivers
How would you describe the handling differences or similarities of both these cars?
Also can someone post a set up for a non preped but broomed technical parking lot track for the R40
thx
Lou
Old 06-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thats an easy one for me...

The R40 has way more steering.......is just as easy to work on..seems to be more resonsive to tuning changes...AND,it does NOT need to be retrimmed in the steering every time you graze the boards.......

I sold one of my tc3s..and the other one is going...

oh yeah..the r40 is just as stable,and has the same(the faster it goes,the better it handles) feeling as the tc3...
Old 06-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default handling

what kind of track do you race on fastharry?
can you give me a starting point on setup for a nonpreped but broomed parking lot track
thx
Lou
Old 06-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

start with the kit set-up

if you dont start there you will never know how the car is supposed to be set-up

make changes from there

there is no possible way for someone to be able to know what set-up will work for you

i still use a set-up very close to the original kit set-up

except for the tires i really didnt think the kit tires worked well at all get a set of 37 or 40 shore front and rears
Old 06-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

thx
Old 06-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fastharry, or AMG, I'm trying to rebuild my R40 and need to change out the front knuckle's. I can't seem to get them in my hobby shop, and can't find them online. Any idea's?

Thanks..
Old 06-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: handling

Originally posted by look
what kind of track do you race on fastharry?
can you give me a starting point on setup for a nonpreped but broomed parking lot track
thx
Lou

Our track is the same....

but I'm not running a stock r40...though I am running the stock springs,pistons and camber settings.....

build the car stock.......see how it runs..make changes from there....

One more good point...

the HPI aero 2 stratus body fits like a glove..and happens to be one of the best bodies I've ever used

Last edited by fastharry™; 06-13-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

not always true! there are some talented 8th scale drivers there.
i am hoping to hit up floyd as soon as i can, possibly friday.
maybe i'll see u there boom?

Originally posted by HarKonnenD
8th scales don't seem to have much of an advantage over the smaller cars at Floyd. LOL. Just not enough room for them to really speed up. So they just get lapped by everyone else all the time.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

yes, i changed my second pinion gear to green, and thus topped out around 3/4ths the way down the straight. much better then being out gunned by the 710 and mugens, with stock gearing that craps out half way down.

Originally posted by boom
I was just there (floyd) yesterday.... it was all good till some speed racers decided to change the track layout into a straight + huge chicanes...... so boring

I found my stock R40 gearing was too short for that straightaway though. Did you guys raise your pinion count a tooth or two?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does anyone else have a leaky fuel tank? After every run my upper deck is wet from fuel, so I decided to pressure test the tank. Bubbles escape from the seal between the lid and the fuel tank rim, and I tried to clean up any flashing that was on the rim with no improvement.

I might have to run a pressure chamber or get a new tank
Old 06-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i am looking for a body that gives more steering will the new areo stratus be what i need

i was breaking in my x-12 this weekend and was running body off and the car was great then i put the body on and my steering went to crap in comparison

i was using a pro-line original stratus body which i plan to cut a bunch of the rear wing off of to see if that helps
Old 06-14-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by fastharry
thats an easy one for me...

The R40 has way more steering.......is just as easy to work on..seems to be more resonsive to tuning changes...AND,it does NOT need to be retrimmed in the steering every time you graze the boards.......

I sold one of my tc3s..and the other one is going...

oh yeah..the r40 is just as stable,and has the same(the faster it goes,the better it handles) feeling as the tc3...
You hit that one on the head. Not having to worry about spinning the gears also helps when driving the R40. LOL
Old 06-14-2004, 09:50 AM
NCC
Tech Adept

Originally posted by PTP Racing
i am looking for a body that gives more steering will the new areo stratus be what i need

i was breaking in my x-12 this weekend and was running body off and the car was great then i put the body on and my steering went to crap in comparison

i was using a pro-line original stratus body which i plan to cut a bunch of the rear wing off of to see if that helps

In my opinion, yes. It wont hurt to try one.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone else have a leaky fuel tank? After every run my upper deck is wet from fuel, so I decided to pressure test the tank. Bubbles escape from the seal between the lid and the fuel tank rim, and I tried to clean up any flashing that was on the rim with no improvement.
I had the same problem. I just replaced the tank since R40 parts are so cheap anyway.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by PTP Racing

I haven't run the Aero on a nitro but I have on my electric sedan and it's a nice body. To me, it's very neutral all the way around (like the other stratuses) but very stable/planted on under high speed conditions like the straight and sweepers. If you need low speed turn-in steering I would suggest the Mazda 6 or Losi Alfa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.