Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Car weight?

I have seen guys get carried away with the whole weight issue on electric sedans for stock...I was even foolish enough to buy ceramic bearings for my car in effort to lighten the drivetrain...I does not make a real difference in the end it is consitency and the ability to make car carry corner speed...really more consitency than anything.

If you really are 1 full second a lap slower (this is an enternity on most tracks) and your are driving "a perfect line" the likely cause of slow lap times is the fact that your car scrubs corner speed or you do not have right gearing. I would spend the money on different tires, bodies, practive fees etc to try to get your car to handle better....I have never met anyone go faster with ti screws or other hopups.

Just for fyi...one of the local racers at my track is on a real budget and he does not buy the newest and greates batteries, engines or car parts most of his cars and engines are second hand (he uses 2000mah batteries in eletric sedan seriously) and yet he finish in the top 10 week in and week out out of classes of 50 racers...He's got a strong knowledge of setup and he rarely makes errors and practices alot on raceday.

I am not slamming you it just that I have seen so many people get carried away in equipment and it really is just practice and setup.

Jamie
Old 05-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Having a car that is heavier than others IS a penalty end of story. There is no doubt about it at all, anybody who is saying otherwise does not know what they are talking about. Why in full size motorsports do teams spend so much effort on lightweight parts?

However you guys are right about one thing, driving and setup are far more important than making the car light. But at the end of the day if you drive well and are nose to tail with the leaders a lighter drivetrain or car mass will make a difference. If you are winning or losing by a mile I would practice before lashing out mucho coin on hopups.

Same holds true for anything however. I used to beat people with good RS and NS motors with a stock MT12 regularly. Now these guys are driving much better I have needed to upgrade my horsepower.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

i agree with AMGracer, if you're driving skills are good then you need to start worrying about weight.

and i the electric guy you are talkin about is finishing top ten, and has the best set up.... .if he also has the lightest car and or the best equipment, then there is a very good chance that he will finish top 3, and at least for me i would rather be second than seventh
Old 05-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

your right 1 second per lap is an eternity thats why i am upset

no matter how well i drive at this point i cannot get onto the same lap as the top 4 qualifiers

my best time all season is a 20 in 5.00.07 the top guys are getting 21 laps and this week someone got a 22

i drove well my set-up is good but i cant really keep up i think its the weight coupled with the fact my engine isnt on par with my competiton

i have qualified for the A at each onroad race ive attended and NCC and proteus and lilrobby will tell you thats not as easy as it may sound at our local track

my car is 200g heavier than my competition and i know its effecting my times no question

goldenboy try the gearing i recommended it will probably be pretty close i run a slightly modified but still ROAR legal mt-12
Old 05-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I gained more speed changing the shock towers(which gave me more cornering speed AND predictability) than I did lightening the car.....Yes, the car was faster being lighter,but the towers and the changed geometry gets me through corners faster..

So I have to go with set up over light weight also...
Old 05-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ofna Pink Starter Box

I finished assembling my OFNA pink box today. Great documentation OFNA !! I think I would have been less mixed up by having none at all.

Anyway... after I finally discovered how to assemble the whole thing and make it work, a final question still pop in my mind. How do I set the rubber pins on the cover to fit the R40 well. (I didn't use any starter box before).

Briefly what is the cover configuration (Lots of pin slide up-down, left-right).

A picture and a short explanation how to use the box safely for the car would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Frag; 05-02-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey DomoIsCool,

I just found some Sidewinder fuel at Sheldon Hobbies (it's even closer to your place).

On 880 south in San Jose, take the east Montague exit. It's the first light to your right (Oakland street). Sheldon hobbies is situaded on Oakland street. You will find some there.

I wanted to buy some, but I still have 2 spares gallons of ODonnel ...so I'll wait a little.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Ofna Pink Starter Box

Originally posted by Frag
I finished assembling my OFNA pink box today. Great documentation OFNA !! I think I would have been less mixed up by having none at all.

Anyway... after I finally discovered how to assemble the whole thing and make it work, a final question still pop in my mind. How do I set the rubber pins on the cover to fit the R40 well. (I didn't use any starter box before).

Briefly what is the cover configuration (Lots of pin slide up-down, left-right).

A picture and a short explanation how to use the box safely for the car would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
Put the rubber things on the curves of the chassis. For example the front where it gets wider and in the back the same too.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Frag
Hey DomoIsCool,

I just found some Sidewinder fuel at Sheldon Hobbies (it's even closer to your place).

On 880 south in San Jose, take the east Montague exit. It's the first light to your right (Oakland street). Sheldon hobbies is situaded on Oakland street. You will find some there.

I wanted to buy some, but I still have 2 spares gallons of ODonnel ...so I'll wait a little.
Thanks, do you know if they are open on Sundays?
Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone make a titanium screw kit for the R40?
Old 05-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by HPIRACER310
Does anyone make a titanium screw kit for the R40?
I think HPI is coming out with a titanium screw kit for the R40.
Try this link.
http://shopping.rcmodel.com.hk/produ...oducts_id=4057
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-hp-z368.jpg  
Old 05-03-2004, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by PSI Racing
I think HPI is coming out with a titanium screw kit for the R40.
Try this link.
http://shopping.rcmodel.com.hk/produ...oducts_id=4057
Thanks for the info PSI.

Wow! the product lists it at 150 grams....
I wonder how much weight that will save, if any at all?
A good buy, or not worth it?
Old 05-03-2004, 02:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info PSI.

No Problem.
I'm sure it will save some weight if that's what you're looking to do.
Maybe someone knows the weight of the stock screws, so you could compare the two.
I wonder why this kit isn't here in the States.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

"I wonder why this kit isn't here in the States."

Who knows, conspiracy maybe!!!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info PSI.

I believe that the shipping weight of the package for shipping calculation purposes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.