Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by burger
I keep seeing people mention the 22t pulley. I guess this would replace the 21t front pulley for the mid-belt and overdrive the car a little. Is this only for a one-way setup, or can it be used for the front gear diff setup too?
You cannot use overdrive with rubber tires, it must be used with foam only. You can true the foams 3mm smaller in front to retain the 1:1 drive ratio. You could in theory use it with a front diff if you keep the 1:1 split close at all times. If the front starts overdriving too much the front wheels are trying to turn faster than the rear. With a one-way up front this is OK as the oneway just disengages and the front wheels freewheel whereas the rears drive the car. With 2 diffs the front cannot disengage and your straightline speed decreases and sweeper handling may become quite ugly as the front wheels turn faster than the rears.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by luchinlb
People i still have problems deciding which equipment i should get.

I want Mid range stuff. Nut too expensive but not that sheap.

Can you guys give options (Brands, models and price) of a good:

Strater Box
Glow plug ignitor
Engine
Radio Equipment

Please help me out here...I´m starting on this hobbie and i want to be on the track ASAP.

TIA
Starter Box- OFNA ready to run starter box w/ accesories. Great box, great price, comes with gel cell, powerpanel, and glow igniter cable. $89.99 All you need extra is a gel cell charger $7.99.

Glow plug ignitor- the above box comes with a ignitor that plugs into the power panel. Never worry about whether your ignitor is charged.

Engine- I had great success with my OS .12 TR last year, and have gotten a great start with my Sirio 12 TRP this year. I've also seen the Sirio 12 EVO2 run up close this year and its quite impressive. The OS .12 TR is about $110 these days, and both Sirio's are about $160 these days.

Pipe and manifold- You didn't mention this, but you'll need one! I use Trinity's one piece pipe set. There are lots of choices out there though. I prefer the one-piece units though.

Radio- Any FM radio with things like end point adjustments, dual rate, and maybe synthesized channels so you wont have to buy any extra crystals.

These are just suggestions, but hopefully they'll give you somewhere to start. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by AMGRacer
I also have a D3 and I am not really having that bad of a time with it. I have adjusted the carb and nicely and the exhaust clears the belt pretty comfortably. Just crank down on the belt tensioner, the belt will still run nice and free.

The hardest part is definately getting the motor in and out for sure.
I checked the D3 and compared it to my old Novarossi SX12 RE and it really does mount lower in the car. Almost a full 1/8"! I made the spacers last night and raised the motor 3/32" and it is perfect. The belt tension is right where I want it and not touching the exhaust, and the carb clears the tank mount much better. Before, the flywheel was about level with the bottom of the chassis, now it has a little more clearance.

Pulling the motor with the side brace off is easy enough for me.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

does anyone think any of the parts for the 2004 spec will fit the old car. saw a pic of it and a new top plate that goes over the front bulkhead looks like a mugen top plate
Old 04-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

I checked the D3 and compared it to my old Novarossi SX12 RE and it really does mount lower in the car. Almost a full 1/8"! I made the spacers last night and raised the motor 3/32" and it is perfect. The belt tension is right where I want it and not touching the exhaust, and the carb clears the tank mount much better. Before, the flywheel was about level with the bottom of the chassis, now it has a little more clearance.

Pulling the motor with the side brace off is easy enough for me.
Well that is pretty nice Mine fits in there pretty well without the mods however, I will try and get a picture this weekend. You run the D3 yet? Man that badboy requires some serious breakin.............
Old 04-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
does anyone think any of the parts for the 2004 spec will fit the old car. saw a pic of it and a new top plate that goes over the front bulkhead looks like a mugen top plate
That would be some achievement. The bulkhead cap holds the diffs and the front layshaft bearings in place with some U shaped "clamps". Would be interesting to see this picture....................
Old 04-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Tech Lord

go to the mtx vs r40 marcos posted it
Old 04-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

The radio plates doesnt go over the front bulkhead. The picture he posted was the MTX3 Pro Spec.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Tech Lord

thought it looked like a mugen
Old 04-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by CraigH
The radio plates doesnt go over the front bulkhead. The picture he posted was the MTX3 Pro Spec.
LOL classic
Old 04-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Lord

guess thats what happens when the brains going faster than the eyes, stop look close than speak
Old 04-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

guess thats what happens when the brains going faster than the eyes, stop look close than speek
Can you post the picture into this thread??
Old 04-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Well that is pretty nice Mine fits in there pretty well without the mods however, I will try and get a picture this weekend. You run the D3 yet? Man that badboy requires some serious breakin.............
Nope, haven't run it yet. I need to get a gallon of 16% with high oil content for the break-in. All I have is 20% O'Donnell.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well it runs. It's just now the beginning of Spring here, so the first warm day we get I'll fire it up.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Nope, haven't run it yet. I need to get a gallon of 16% with high oil content for the break-in. All I have is 20% O'Donnell.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well it runs. It's just now the beginning of Spring here, so the first warm day we get I'll fire it up.
I would not worry about the fuel too much. If you want a bit more oil squirt a little afterrun into the tank. I broke mine in on my race blend, 16% nitro, 10% oil. It took me around almost 2 litres of fuel. I used the WOT very rich top needle approach and it took ages to start to loosen up. But now it is broken in it is pretty darned impressive Does not seem to be NS12 fast yet, but at least as good as the modified RS series..........
Old 04-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

go to the mtx vs r40 marcos posted it
I'm sorry to butt-in but this is the pic that i found of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44015

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.