Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Proteus
Pretty good calculation. But you forgot one thing. The kits here in japan have the one way and aluminum shocks. Thow in the 2004 upgrades and it exceeds the $293 price. I've seen them for as cheap as $315 here, but it is difficult to come by these cars. I picked up two while I was at the store. I think they had one more in. I did notice that there were alot of upgrade kits. I think that people here in Japan have ditched there stock R40 and just bought a whole new kit.
It really doesn't matter anymore, it seems like USA will not pick up the 2004 spec and HPI has no plan to release the 2004 spec anytime soon........
Not even the UPGRADE kit.......and god knows they will have the revised 2-speed gearbox package......
So that really doesn't matter how much it is....I do know that the Japan PRO kits are came with 1-way and alum shocks...but again, it will never see the USA shore...

If you are in Japan.....you can pick up some 2004 spec and bring them back here in state and ebay it......I am sure you can make some money........beside, RCmodel said they can import one 2004 spec and shipped via EMS to me for $435 via Paypal............

$435 for a HPI..........I have nothing to say.....
Old 03-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: 2 speed

Originally posted by Vr6vroom
Track Temps are in the 50's F, but the tracmk is indoors, so it doesnt have the chance to change with the elements, if it's 50 or if it is ninety outside it is still cool on the track. It is sprayed with VHT, and alot of OIL ontop of the track. It is a very weird type of traction. You should see this track, Lap times are in the range of 11.00 secs. I can do a ultra fast 27, but if I go 28 forget it man!
Indoor nitro track! Wierd. Well if the track temps are around 50 then I can see why the soft tires.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
It really doesn't matter anymore, it seems like USA will not pick up the 2004 spec and HPI has no plan to release the 2004 spec anytime soon........
Not even the UPGRADE kit.......and god knows they will have the revised 2-speed gearbox package......
So that really doesn't matter how much it is....I do know that the Japan PRO kits are came with 1-way and alum shocks...but again, it will never see the USA shore...

If you are in Japan.....you can pick up some 2004 spec and bring them back here in state and ebay it......I am sure you can make some money........beside, RCmodel said they can import one 2004 spec and shipped via EMS to me for $435 via Paypal............

$435 for a HPI..........I have nothing to say.....
Hong Kong will be getting the car for sure soon. It will be far cheaper than that price. Just be patient a little while longer............

As for HPI USA they need to have some serious attitude adjustment I think.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

How do you adjust the centex on the r40.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

I finally got my GPM parts. The quality of the parts are not bad at all!

Titanium pivotballs. I pulled out 2 of the stock items and weighed them versus the Ti ones. Stock was 6g and the Ti ones were 3g.

Graphite side stiffener. The stock alloy item is 6g minus the tensioner. The graphite item is 3g.

I will report on the hingepins and the graphite drag plate soon.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Hong Kong will be getting the car for sure soon. It will be far cheaper than that price. Just be patient a little while longer............

As for HPI USA they need to have some serious attitude adjustment I think.
It was quoted from HK Rcmodel.......$435, and I think Mr. Lam at Hormony is just a hair cheaper....
What I am pissed about is.....why they are not importing something like 2004 spec in USA...? Is that 2004 spec something THAT SPECIAL or HPI think NO ONE can actually afford this car..?

HPI just surprised me one thing after the other.....

But thanks for the info...and hope HK will lowered the price when they actually get those in stock.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:24 AM
Tech Addict

no 2004 ed. R40 for the US???

Once again car manufacturers shafts the US market. Usually its overseas manufacturers like european and japanese makes. HPI is an american company. So sad....
Old 03-30-2004, 03:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default 2004 edition

I dont understand this. This car has been out for quite some time now, and the nature of the beast is to modify and change every damn part on the car. MOST of us who already own the car, have the carbon towers, hollow shafts, updated chassis, alloy shocks(not needed), and all that is left is their two speed. So what is the problem. Would you prefer to sell your investment because it say 2004 on it? The car kit hasnt been changed, its just been updated with the option parts. Anyone can buy these parts, here in the US from any HPI participating LHS. So come on guys, I know it is frustrating but lets get a grip. It is HPI's loss on one end of the scale, and the gain on the other. Its a loose alittle, win a lot for them.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the point is.....Is to get the most RACE WORTHY version of the car,at the best value...and NOT have to go back to the HPI money pit mentality.....

For some reason,HPI Japan has always gotten the better versions(and best value cars)...I thight that would change with the r40 and pro 4 intros...and HPI's opening statements(the HPI USA website) that BOTH these cars would have a full racing commitment from the company....
Old 03-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

OK, I got my motor in the mail yesterday, and installed the Centax on it. I went ahead and used the HPI flywheel collet included with the kit, and the black shim behind it. When mounting the clutch bell, the flanged bearing overhangs the crank (sg) by about 1mm and I used 2 copper shims and 1 silver shim between the flanged bearing and the thrust bearing. This leaves me with about .5mm of end play.

The clutch bell feels a little sloppy and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to fix this. I may go to a better bearing to see if that helps. I'm worried that this will cause the bearings to fail.

J
Old 03-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

As most ppl know...HPI is actually a USA BASED company....and yes, like typical business plan. they will concentrate on selling the best to the best profit area.....ie, Hong Kong, Japan........

But never USA.............that really bothers me, because I don't believe the total amount of ppl that owns HPI in USA is ANY LESS then HK or Japan....probably both of them combine...

But still..........forget about ppl in USA, they already have the SAVAGE SS kits that is backorder for like 6 months......they don't need anything beside the SAVAGE.

And for me.....sold the brand new R40 and cleaned up the work station just for the R40 2004 spec....got my $70 RD Logic Turbo 2 pipe, new engine, new radio gears................and I have this "WONDERFULL" news from HPI USA.....no 2004 spec.

Tell me, do I need to switch to FW-05R, or MTX3, or G4 or ...........get a stock R40 and trust me, the day I received the stock R40 in my hand, HPI USA will RELEASE the 2004 spec immediately after....trust me, I have all kind of LUCK like that.......

I don't think we can wait anymore, Nitro season is a month away, we have to break in engines, start tunning, and get used to the R40.....we have to buy the stock one and spend the money on upgrades....
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: 2004 edition

Originally posted by Vr6vroom
I dont understand this. This car has been out for quite some time now, and the nature of the beast is to modify and change every damn part on the car. MOST of us who already own the car, have the carbon towers, hollow shafts, updated chassis, alloy shocks(not needed), and all that is left is their two speed. So what is the problem. Would you prefer to sell your investment because it say 2004 on it? The car kit hasnt been changed, its just been updated with the option parts. Anyone can buy these parts, here in the US from any HPI participating LHS. So come on guys, I know it is frustrating but lets get a grip. It is HPI's loss on one end of the scale, and the gain on the other. Its a loose alittle, win a lot for them.
I sold my brand new 80% finished R40 because of the 2004, thats why I was Bxxtching about HPI USA...of course, if I brought the R40 a year ago when it first came out, I would not worry about the 04 cause my R40 will be exactly like yours and others.....just waiting the 0.8 pitch 2 speed to complete the whole deal....
Old 03-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by fastharry
.....For some reason,HPI Japan has always gotten the better versions(and best value cars)...I thight that would change with the r40 and pro 4 intros...and HPI's opening statements(the HPI USA website) that BOTH these cars would have a full racing commitment from the company....
Does the JAPAN version PRO 4 has more then the USA version..? Not a electric guy but I think they are the same.....yeah, I think they CASE is better looking then the USA version.

I am sure US Nitro market is not as strong as the electric market, thats why they have to import then PRO4, and dump the 2004 spec.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, i have a R40....I wanted a MT-12 because this is my first Kit and i want to start with a good engine. I went to my LHS yesterday and i realized that they have that engine at $ 235.00.

Is this too much money for a MT-12???

Do you think it worth to get that engine???

Is there many version of this engine out there (Turbo/Non Turbo, 3 ports/ 5ports, etc ???

Please help me here thanx.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default look around

Yes that is a little high! Look around at some mail order houses, you can get it cheaper, why dont you try a mr 12 or any of the new nova based short stroke motors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.