Wiki Posts
Search

sensored vs sensorless

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default sensored vs sensorless

Would somebody please compare/contrast sensored and sensorless motors with a focus on racing? Why would I go with one over the other?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

sesor based motors check temp for thermal problems, no lag off the line and better braking. all around is the better deal for racing, for bashing i used the unsensored motors....
Old 04-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, traditionally the sensored systems are better/smoother at low speeds and starting out. Sensorless systems are better at high speeds, can adjust timing. So many/most racers ran sensored for the control, and guys like sensorless for blasting down the road.

But the sensorless guys, well Mamba anyway, claim their latest software pretty much cleans up the starting and low speed smoothness. Don't know myself.

And some of the sensored guys, like the SpeedPassion GT, and I think the yet to come Tekin RS too, do both, start with sensored, then switch to sensorless with adjustable timing as they wind up. Hybrid drive SpeedPassion calls it. The SpeedPassion GT can actually run either way, with or without sensor. I think the Tekin RS will be the same way. Maybe others.

One thing to be aware of, is that ROAR stock rules require a sensored motor. I think they meant to require a complete sensored system, but many claim that the rules don’t actually require a sensored speed control. Mod is pretty much wide open, except at ROAR national events you have to use stuff from the approved lists.

Me, I love my SpeedPassion GT, it covers all of the possibilities, and want a Tekin when it comes out, my traditional fave, if that wasn't kinda obvious already.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm building first race truck (Losi XXXCR) and wanted to have a better understanding of what I was doing. Anyway, I went with sensored so that I could compete in the stock and super stock classes.

I just picked up the Losi 13.5 with their controller because it was almost $60 less than the Novak combo and the programability seemed to be fairly extensive. I'm hoping performance will be comparable or at least tunable so that I can compensate for various differences.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Tech Initiate

sensorless motors cannot identify the sector of the rotor that need to be pushed,, so sensorless is chaging performance all the time especially in low speed and in sprint..
Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Img
Attached Thumbnails sensored vs sensorless-img_0546.jpg   sensored vs sensorless-img_0549.jpg   sensored vs sensorless-img_0601.jpg   sensored vs sensorless-img_0603.jpg  

Last edited by mattnin; 04-01-2012 at 08:09 PM.