Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8IGHT 'V' RC8

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the replies. I THINK i am going to go with the losi. I'll let you know how it gets on!!
Gota find an engine now too
Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

A good, fairly cheap engine is the Go tech 3 port Race, I have a couple of the Go Tech motors and for the price they are pretty good.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
That's a good point on the Losi wear. There is a bit more to maintain the Losi compared to some other buggies... but Losi parts are some of the least expensive in the industry. 3 particular areas that I know of wear are: Ackerman plate bushings (there's a mod on the Losi thread that I have done to mine, problem solved, for about $2) center differential cases (there is an upgraded one with metal inserts to solve that, less than $10) and the front-center CVA shaft. (Sorry, no fix for that- it wears faster than most buggies due to the extreme angle of the shaft.)
I read that some are using a CVA and maybe cups from Mugen that are much more durable than the Losi stuff. I believe this was in the "1/8 Electric Conversion" thread. The electrics have a lot more torque so this needed to be addressed.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

AE's new parts are also going to the craps. My buddy has one that he was running since it came out and all the new stuff is starting to go out in races, he has been threw 6 gas tanks in the past 7 races, center dif mounts pulling apart, drive shafts spitting pins in the out drives. not saying the car is bad but it also has the parts quality issues also.

on the losi with the comment on teh steering bushings, leave them slopy. I have been running the buggy since the day it came out and have replaced them one time. and when i did replace them they were back to th same slopy shape after the 1st 2 tanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
AE's new parts are also going to the craps. My buddy has one that he was running since it came out and all the new stuff is starting to go out in races, he has been threw 6 gas tanks in the past 7 races, center dif mounts pulling apart, drive shafts spitting pins in the out drives. not saying the car is bad but it also has the parts quality issues also.

on the losi with the comment on teh steering bushings, leave them slopy. I have been running the buggy since the day it came out and have replaced them one time. and when i did replace them they were back to th same slopy shape after the 1st 2 tanks.
Oh, come on now... you KNOW we can't leave well enough alone! I did the "bronze bushing mod" in the ackerman... haven't touched them this season, and it has no more slop than the day I did it.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Reading through this thread I feel kind of lucky. My RC8 hasn't given me any trouble once I put on the service pack. Yes, I was blowing hinge pins out left and right prior to the upgrade, but that is because my M2C end cap was slightly bent. After the service pack, not one problem. (knocking on wood now)

I have known people with fuel tank issues but not sure what is happening there. I am running the original tank still. (fingers crossed).

After reviewing some of the Xray 808 threads, I am sure this tread will be changing to 8IGHT "v" RC8 "v" Xray 808. Just a matter of time.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Oh, come on now... you KNOW we can't leave well enough alone! I did the "bronze bushing mod" in the ackerman... haven't touched them this season, and it has no more slop than the day I did it.
but was there any increase in performance from the mod other than saying you dont have the slop anymore?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
but was there any increase in performance from the mod other than saying you dont have the slop anymore?
Yup, there is. If the front end gets too sloppy, the car is twitchy when landing a jump. A little slop is fine, a lot will drive you nuts on big air when it hits the ground and skitters off in some direction you aren't expecting. Mine got so bad it was loose and wild on any larger jump.

I'm not a great driver, and I was having just that issue... my buds were telling me I was doing something wrong- until they drove the car. Then they said "something's wrong." It was... too much slop in the steering. I replaced all the bearings in the servo saver/steering post and did the bushing mod. No more issue.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, even better on the ackerman, I used a 7x3 Ikarus helicopter bearing just ream the bushing hole bigger, cheap and works great!!