Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:27 PM

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Questions?? oiling shocks

what does re-oiling shocks do?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

After oil has been in shocks for some time, it loses its viscosity and is like water. There is no shock action then other that what the spring does. The oil simply wears out with use. Also you can change the way the buggy/truck responds to jumps by changing oil viscosity. Heavier oil slows shock reaction, lighter speeds recovery.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

The fluid/oil tends to leak out some, leading to air pockets and inconsistent damping. Also some dirt and grime tends to get into them and contaminate the fluid.

The vehicles are so light that is difficult to make a good enough sealing system without generating too much friction. Thus the good stuff leaks out and the bad stuff gets in. Better seals would just bind everything up, the cars are just too light, and we demand too much performance. Devices do not scale evenly, it’s not possible/practical to just scale down real car stuff.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

that's very true,

my shock had really old oil in them, and the handling of my RC was getting really poor

I rebuilt and refilled them and the handling was back to great!

(I'd let mine go for almost a year)
Old 04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Also shock oil will make shock o-rings swell. They will bind up against the shaft and limit ur travel. After while the o-rings go bad and will start to leak. I dump oil and spray motor spray inside shock bodies to remove all old oil residue. Then add ur new rings and I grease them with AE green slime. Then add ur new oil and bleed properly. This is the best way to keep optimal shock performance.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Kyosho shocks are dialed.... There x rings are unreal. i change them every 6 month's.

I think i have finally mastered the ae shocks !!