Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
MurfDogg Motor Works Discussion thread >

MurfDogg Motor Works Discussion thread

MurfDogg Motor Works Discussion thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The MurfDogg
My theory, is that timing should be added through either the motor or the speed control. NEVER BOTH!

Our motor have adjustable timing in 10 degree increments. They can be set to 0-10-20 degrees of timing advance. Where should the timing be set? That depends on the individual motor and what it likes in particular. All our motors are dyno tuned, to see what timing setting yields maximum power. Sometimes it is 0 degrees, but the majority of our motors run best with 10 or 20 degrees. If you want to play with timing, figure out if your motor and speedo has a timing adjustment, then figure out which one you choose to use first.

Using our motors, I highly recommend(beg you) to run the Speed Controls throttle settings at the linear/smooth setting, with 0* timing advance, and let the motor timing do its thing. In our extensive testing, this yields the best results, having great power, and running cooler and longer.

Using Novak, LRP, Hacker, Orion, and Speed Passion motors, I recommend setting the motor timing to 0* advance, and use your speed control to advance your timing about 10* to start. Run 5 minutes and check motor temp. Should be 140-160, If hotter, you should drop one tooth for every 20 degrees higher than 160. Rotors do not like heat excess of 180*F. Heat will kill your rotor. If you need more top speed, advance the timing another 10* and lower your pinion one tooth.

Timing is a complex, tricky "adjustment", that can get you lost in no time.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.

Matt Murphy
MurfDogg Motor Works
Its funny you say that. Not too long ago i picked up a tekin rs/17.5 combo and they recommend a combo of timing on the can and thru the esc. Im real happy with the motor/esc right now but after reading these forums and talking to our mutual buddy Joey Olson i kind of want to try one of yours.

What are your FDR recommendations for a 17.5 in a B4 and T4?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Jason,

Not to say that timing in ESC and Motor will not work, it can, but with my motors I very strongly recommend zero timing advance through your speed control. I suggest team drivers run their speed controls with zero timing advance, linear throttle curve, and punch profiles turned off.

Our motors usually are the class of the field (thanks in part to great drivers) and I have not been to a national level race in the last 2 years that we were not accused of cheating.

And just so people do not get worried or confused and spread anything untrue, "No MurfDogg motor has ever been deemed illegal at any race by any tech officials at any time." Rumors fly around here like you wouldnt believe...... we just build the fastest motors around, and leave people scratching their heads. Thats why we say.........

Race One or Chase One!!!

The MurfDogg

Last edited by The MurfDogg; 05-04-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Typo, yes it happens
Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

And we Typically gear MurfDogg 17.5 Motors @ 72spur-34pinion in the associated B4. 78spur-32 pinion in the associated T4.

This is only for our motors as all motors are different. This is also assuming you run zero timing on esc and linear throttle profiles.

Matt
Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Race One or Chase One baby So True.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Jason,

Not to say that timing in ESC and Motor will not work, it can, but with my motors I very strongly recommend zero timing advance through your speed control. I suggest team drivers run their speed controls with zero timing advance, linear throttle curve, and punch profiles turned off.

Our motors usually are the class of the field (thanks in part to great drivers) and I have not been to a national level race in the last 2 years that we were not accused of cheating.

And just so people do not get worried or confused and spread anything untrue, "No MurfDogg motor has ever been deemed illegal at any race by any tech officials at any time." Rumors fly around here like you wouldnt believe...... we just build the fastest motors around, and leave people scratching their heads. Thats why we say.........

[B][I][SIZE="5"]Race One or Chase One!!!

The MurfDogg
SOLD!!! Im gonna pick one up for sure, i gotta try it. It will be no problem setting the speed control to those recommendations. My buddy will be racing against me in stock tomorrow night running a brand new Murfdogg 17.5 in his B4. Im curious to see how fast my car stacks up against his.

Thanks for the info on gearing too! Stop by Hot Rod tomorrow night.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess I gotta come on out and see for myself. Not too bad living 1/4 mile from a world class facility...he he he! Now if we could only get a dirt oval track there..................
Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I guess I gotta come on out and see for myself. Not too bad living 1/4 mile from a world class facility...he he he! Now if we could only get a dirt oval track there..................
Matt you have a PM..
Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

heard the team did work last weekend,good job to all..
hope i can add it in couple weeks..
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

JBRL Race #3 at OCRC was business as usual for the MurfDogg team. Stock classes were dominated in qualifying by Brent Calvert. This time the mains were not gonna be handed over to slower cars/ drivers as happened at race #2. Brent Calvert walked away with the win in Stock Truck followed by teammate Josh Mitchell, and Josh prevailed in Stock Buggy. Cody Turner TQed and won Super Stock 4wheel. Travis Erkeneff finished second in Super Stock Truck.

All in all it was another great weekend for the MurfDogg team, continuing our winning tradition.

Race one or Chase one!

The MurfDogg
Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Matt,

Installed that 13.5 i picked up from you today. Made the mistake of running it with timing boost from my esc for about 2-3 minutes. Temps got up to about 165 in that time span before i realized and stopped. Any chance damage was done to the motor during that span?
After i reset the esc to 0 timing and linear throttle i took it back out again. I could flip the truck over doing wheelies off the line at first but after running for a few minutes it lost that capability. Is that normal as the engine gets hot to lose a little punch. Im not saying i want to flip it on throttle but i want to know im getting the best possible performance. Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasons36
Matt,

Installed that 13.5 i picked up from you today. Made the mistake of running it with timing boost from my esc for about 2-3 minutes. Temps got up to about 165 in that time span before i realized and stopped. Any chance damage was done to the motor during that span?
After i reset the esc to 0 timing and linear throttle i took it back out again. I could flip the truck over doing wheelies off the line at first but after running for a few minutes it lost that capability. Is that normal as the engine gets hot to lose a little punch. Im not saying i want to flip it on throttle but i want to know im getting the best possible performance. Thanks for all your help.
jason you shouldnt have damaged anything from only runnin 165 most peeps on here run there that hot maybe even hotter..
lol i got mine upto 245 deg's before it damaged my old lrp mod motor..
Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Jason,
You should be fine, 165 cant hurt it. I suggest running it at 160-175 after a 5-7 minute run. Yes it is normal to lose punch, partly due to heat, but mostly due to voltage drop in the battery. However you may want to get better acquainted with your slipper clutch since switching to our motors. You have way more punch now than before, and traction control is huge in offroad.

Bis,
Aint seen you in a while man, starting to have withdrawals. See you at Hot Rod on the 24th.

The MurfDogg
Old 05-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Attention All Team Drivers and Customers

A very controversial, and incorrect action was taken by the OCRC staff this past weekend at the JConcepts Wave Race. Several of our Team drivers and customers were told that MurfDogg Motors were not legal and will not be allowed to run. They claimed we use 12 turn motors in super stock, and 16 turn stock motors. There was no motor tech, or a proper protest procedure. Not a single motor was torn down and tested for inductance, not that they even have the proper tools to do such inspection. They did not pull out the rotor to measure the size with a pair of calipers, perhaps they do not know how. To make a decision and call me a cheater, with zero fact behind their claims is a poorly thought out, bull$#!t call.

My rotors are 12.25mm, much smaller than the ROAR Maximum diameter. All motors are checked to be within ROAR legal limits on induction before leaving the motor lab. All MurfDogg motors are ROAR legal. We ran the same motors at the ROAR Nationals in 2008 without a single motor being deemed illegal. In fact we won both 17.5 classes and had two 2nd place finishes in Super Stock.
The same motors dominated the Reedy Truck Race sweeping all 3 Non-Factory classes. Never was a motor found illegal.

I ask that all Team Drivers and customers alike join me in a Boycott of OCRC. They have unfairly treated my customers, and slandered my very reputable, trustworthy name. Please do not support a place that will accuse people of cheating without any evidence. They made their racers, their own paying customers feel uncomfortable and unwelcome at their own facility. This is a very serious situation, and until Robert Black calls me to clear up the situation, i will maintain this position. My #is 661.644.5860.

Matt Murphy
MurfDogg Motor Works
Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

A very controversial, and incorrect action was taken by the OCRC staff this past weekend at the JConcepts Wave Race. Several of our Team drivers and customers were told that MurfDogg Motors were not legal and will not be allowed to run. They claimed we use 12 turn motors in super stock, and 16 turn stock motors. There was no motor tech, or a proper protest procedure. Not a single motor was torn down and tested for inductance, not that they even have the proper tools to do such inspection. They did not pull out the rotor to measure the size with a pair of calipers, perhaps they do not know how. To make a decision and call me a cheater, with zero fact behind their claims is a poorly thought out, bull$#!t call.

My rotors are 12.25mm, much smaller than the ROAR Maximum diameter. All motors are checked to be within ROAR legal limits on induction before leaving the motor lab. All MurfDogg motors are ROAR legal. We ran the same motors at the ROAR Nationals in 2008 without a single motor being deemed illegal. In fact we won both 17.5 classes and had two 2nd place finishes in Super Stock.
The same motors dominated the Reedy Truck Race sweeping all 3 Non-Factory classes. Never was a motor found illegal.

I ask that all Team Drivers and customers alike join me in a Boycott of OCRC. They have unfairly treated my customers, and slandered my very reputable, trustworthy name. Please do not support a place that will accuse people of cheating without any evidence. They made their racers, their own paying customers feel uncomfortable and unwelcome at their own facility. This is a very serious situation, and until Robert Black calls me to clear up the situation, i will maintain this position. My #is 661.644.5860.

Matt Murphy
MurfDogg Motor Works
Matt- Was this before the races or during the races that they made this call. Kinda surprized.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Josh

It was about 20 minutes before the mains started on Sunday.

Travis Erkeneff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.