Wiki Posts
Search

The state of 200mm nitro touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default The state of 200mm nitro touring

I have a simple question that might stir some ideas that might help the 200mm nitro touring class grow.
I am curious as to the popularity of this class in different sections of the US and the world and how it compares to it's poplularity in past years.
What has contributed to the decline in popularity? Or its increase in popularity, whichever the case may be in your area?
How do you fix it? If in fact it needs fixed?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I think price has some to do with it, and most of the 1/10 nitro cars for some are fragile, and most get frustrated because they break so much. but the biggest reason I think is the growth of 1/8 offroad and because they rarely break anything. Althou nitro on road in my area is very popular because of 301 raceway which is awesome
Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Lack of tracks and organization within the local area. Off-road can be run almost anywhere, on-road on the other hand requires certain surface types. School, takes a toll, and being a student = broke....LOL
And since the economy is in such a slump, i doubt it'll get any better.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If 200mm nitro is losing popularity someone needs to tell me soon. I have a new 4R that hasn't been run yet and I don't want to scratch the chassis if the class is dying out. Let me know quickly before I run this thing.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

To the contrary in my area. We have more guys running touring than 1/8th right now. I think the cost is what is bringing some guys over to touring car, and we've had quite a few electric guys come out to the nitro scene.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by petevette
If 200mm nitro is losing popularity someone needs to tell me soon. I have a new 4R that hasn't been run yet and I don't want to scratch the chassis if the class is dying out. Let me know quickly before I run this thing.

what part of the country are you in? What is the car count like in this class?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by genesisG4
what part of the country are you in? What is the car count like in this class?
South Florida but I have been out of the on road scene for a while. I haven't been to my local track since I have been running off road for the past two years. I bought a 4R because I still love on road but just haven't been out yet. I am going to try and get out in the next couple of weeks and take a touring car count. Does anyone know if the count was up or down at the Winternats or the Kissimmee race?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

200mm seems to be dying a bit around where I live, I race at joyce park in cincci and we usually never have more than 5 cars and last week we had 3 total. Compare this to the 18 8th scale cars we had and this teels me that the class is dying or that perople dont liek to run then at our track...
Old 04-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i think the trick here is to keep the tracks open and operating. here in Australia we are experiencing major difficulties with noise pollution.
as residential ares creep up to recreation areas and industrial areas, there have been a few major issues with the noise levels. our track in Perth has been closed down, and we have no where to race unless we travel a 5 hour round trip. i think now Melbourne is having an issue and has had a time schedual to keep to. if its broken then they could be shut down also. next year youl probably find all gas cars here will have to be using INS boxes. its not as much which class to race here, but its where can we race.
once the track is gone, its gone. then no one can race on it. so to all the clubs out there, to take care and consideration on how often , and times of the day the track is being used. even invite any surrounding residents to a fun day or something alike, and see if there are any issues with them before its too late. thanks.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

some tracks are being mismanaged customer service your not getting what you pay for
Old 04-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know here in richmond va, touring car has seen some growth lately. A few years ago, we had the same number of 1:8 as 200mm. But we had a few 1:8 guys retire so there were more 200mm than 1:8. Because of that, people wanted to go with the biggest class so right now, 1:10 nitro is it. But, I race at 301 sometimes also and I know that 1:8 is growing there really fast. Some of 1:10 guys here are interested in running 1:8 and since I just bought one, the class might build back up again. That's what's going on here anyway. We're a small club though so I don't think our changes reflect what's going on in the world of r/c.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Touring car in Florida is up versus last year more competition this year more drivers biggest increase in class has to be 1/8th off-road buggy & truggy due to more tracks this year than last year & cost is way lower
Old 04-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

Same for Evolution Raceway this year. So far we have MORE sedans than 1/8th. We used to have just as many 1/8th as we did sedans. I think with the skyrocketing engine prices of on-road both classes are starting to suffer. Who would have ever thought that a .12 would be over $500. That's CraZy. Even the 1/8th are outta control. So what I'm seeing is borderline 1/8th drivers are starting to go Sedan and borderline sedan drivers are just going else where (ie.. offroad). In all the on-road scene is declining.

I think we need some sort of SPEC engine class to help with cost. If one sedan driver buys a $500 motor and goes fast then others will follow and soon we'll all have the same speed at a cost of $500 each. So why not just limit the motor to something more reasonable (cost wise) and we can all go the same speed with some lunch money left over in our wallets. Maybe good for another thread.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by evostyle
Same for Evolution Raceway this year. So far we have MORE sedans than 1/8th. We used to have just as many 1/8th as we did sedans. I think with the skyrocketing engine prices of on-road both classes are starting to suffer. Who would have ever thought that a .12 would be over $500. That's CraZy. Even the 1/8th are outta control. So what I'm seeing is borderline 1/8th drivers are starting to go Sedan and borderline sedan drivers are just going else where (ie.. offroad). In all the on-road scene is declining.

I think we need some sort of SPEC engine class to help with cost. If one sedan driver buys a $500 motor and goes fast then others will follow and soon we'll all have the same speed at a cost of $500 each. So why not just limit the motor to something more reasonable (cost wise) and we can all go the same speed with some lunch money left over in our wallets. Maybe good for another thread.
I tend to agree with the spec concept...maybe the way to control motors is to control the tires? I was involved in a 1:1 spec late model project a few years ago and one thing we looked at was a harder compound spec tire. On a local level the guys were spending $30,000 on motors for a $1,000 to win weekly show...totally nuts!! If you can't hook up the big dollar motors then they loose their effectiveness. I think it would be easier to police the tires? Maybe there is a rubber tire available that could be a spec tire?

Last edited by genesisG4; 04-26-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

at the Florida state series ( forgass ) the nitro sedan cal is big i think there is more sedan compititon then eighth scale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.