Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the outer edge of my rubber tires are wearing so fast

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default the outer edge of my rubber tires are wearing so fast

but the rest in the inner side (around 80 % of the width) are just wearing slowly or normally, so what is my setup problem?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Tech Champion

Camber, toe and suspension settings are all very important to the lifespan of the tyre.

I'd check the camber first, excessive camber or wear in the ball joints will shred tyre walls quickly.

Then check your suspension. If its too hard the car is pushing and riding the edge of the tyre.

Then check the toe. Excessive toe in or out may wear tyres quicker.

hth
Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Simple, add more Negative Camber to the affected tires. If your track has several high-speed turns, add .5-degree more negative camber to that specific side. If both sides are wearing evenly, add .5-degree negative until the rounding mostly stops.

Additionally, setup can play a big part in tire wear. Roll Center, Track Width, Track Length, Springs, and Shock Rebound, etc... all play a part in traction and tire wear. When you don't have enough traction, the tires will wear greater as they push through a turn.

One last thing, your personal driving style could be the cause of the tires wearing poorly too. Some people oversteer their cars in the turns to compensate for a poor setup, or simply give the car too much power while going in or out of corners, causing the car to push no matter how good the setup is.