Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi Jack,

you have a PM.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tries out the Jaco rubbers this weekend on asphalt. Must say that I was not too impressed. Either I was using too warm of a tire or they really need a long time to scuff in.
Was about 65-70 degrees out and I put on a brand new set of Jaco 28's. Ran them for about 12mins to scuff them in, was sliding like crazy. Lots of loose rear end slides and not much steering feedback. For kicks I put on my old beat up Sorex 28's. With these I was stuck like glue and improved my lap times by 1 1/2 -2 secs.
Not sure what to think, should I have ran Jaco 24's? Perhaps I needed to scrub them in on a warmer day? Damn shame because they are so affordable and the wheels look killer. Outdoor season is almost over anyhow I guess, maybe I will try them on carpet over the winter.

Tony
Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by under200
Tries out the Jaco rubbers this weekend on asphalt. Must say that I was not too impressed. Either I was using too warm of a tire or they really need a long time to scuff in.
Was about 65-70 degrees out and I put on a brand new set of Jaco 28's. Ran them for about 12mins to scuff them in, was sliding like crazy. Lots of loose rear end slides and not much steering feedback. For kicks I put on my old beat up Sorex 28's. With these I was stuck like glue and improved my lap times by 1 1/2 -2 secs.
Not sure what to think, should I have ran Jaco 24's? Perhaps I needed to scrub them in on a warmer day? Damn shame because they are so affordable and the wheels look killer. Outdoor season is almost over anyhow I guess, maybe I will try them on carpet over the winter.

Tony
actually the Jaco Blues are really good tires for outdoor, you just need to do some set up changes for the tire (as "Butter" has mention before) You need to run shorter camberlinks and a little more camber usually around 2 to 2.25 degrees.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
actually the Jaco Blues are really good tires for outdoor, you just need to do some set up changes for the tire (as "Butter" has mention before) You need to run shorter camberlinks and a little more camber usually around 2 to 2.25 degrees.
Thanks for the tips will try that next time out.

Tony
Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips will try that next time out.

Tony
I did that last weekend and it made a world of difference
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

OK heres the thing. Son and I run T2 007's he had greens on and I had blues on. He runs novak 17.5 and I run Speed Passion 17.5, he has Speed 6 body I had Stratus body.Running on carpet, temps around 65 maybe 70F ambient, Paragon compound full coverage front and rear. Both cars were loose in the rear, mine was loose front and rear not terrible though. I swapped put greens in front and blues in rear on both cars and both handled well enough I felt no more tuning was needed ( ran out of time before mains). We ran OK. Was working on the cars and both cars fronts tires were glazed over, like was putting too much heat in them during the run. We had good steering, would like a touch more, would a stiffer front spring or less dampening help? No compound on the fronts? Was only running 1.5* camber, 1/2* out front toe,2* rear in toe. More camber, more or less toe?
Was running same basic set up we ran with CS-27's.
Tim
Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Tony
Jaco 24 or 28 for outdoor asphalt? You should be running the Jaco Blue tires, which are more like 32. The new Jaco Blue tires are the tires everyone is running outdoors. You will get much better results with them. Make sure to use 2.25-2.5 deg of camber on all tires, as has been recommended previously.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

In Vegas, these tires could do no wrong and lasted forever. On our local track, however, which has medium traction at best (ozite), it sure seems like they fall off more quickly than you'd expect. Is anybody else noticing this?

Jack, you'd mentioned in Vegas that you guys might be doing something different with the insert in the blues. Any news or progress there? Any word on how it will affect the tires?

I really like these tires and their availability, and we've made moves toward making them our spec tire this season, but the way they seem to be falling off is a bit worrisome.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

We are in the process of having new inserts made for the blue tires. This insert will fill the tire up a little more, thus reducing the air gap and widening the tire slightly. The testing we have done on asphalt indicates that this improves the wear pattern and consistency of the tire. We will be doing some carpet testing very soon. I don't think we will be implementing these changes for a while, however. Perhaps after the first of the year.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Tony
Your findings seem consistent with some other tracks. We couldn't find a setup that would work on our asphalt parking lot track. Regardless of the changes the back end always seemed to break lose and the cars were slower as compared to the Sorex. In Florida I believe they are using them as a spec tire which I think is fine. I would say if you are running open tire though then you may have to work at it a while to get it up to speed.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
We are in the process of having new inserts made for the blue tires. This insert will fill the tire up a little more, thus reducing the air gap and widening the tire slightly. The testing we have done on asphalt indicates that this improves the wear pattern and consistency of the tire. We will be doing some carpet testing very soon. I don't think we will be implementing these changes for a while, however. Perhaps after the first of the year.
Thanks for the update. Everybody is definitely enjoying them around here, we were just a little worried that they seemed to be falling off more quickly than expected. We'll continue to test and gather information.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi Jack,

You have a PM. I need a reply a.s.a.p.
Thanks
Darren
Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

I am going to give the Jaco 28's another try this weekend outside. Weather forecast is about 60 degrees and cloudy. I tuned the car last night, added 2.5 degrees of camber all round as recommended. We will see if it hooks up better.

Tony
Old 10-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

how are the jaco greens ( new style) comparing to the older dish style wheels? I ran the old style at the carpet nats last year and I liked them. I was wondering if it is just a camber change or a whole new setup to switch to these?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Just an update on my last post. Now that we've been running on the carpet a while, the groove has come up quite a bit, and the tires are back to lasting nearly forever. I put 15-20 runs on a single set yesterday while doing 10 hours of tuning at the track, and my fastest laps were in the final run of the day.

We've had a lot of people convert from foam to rubber this year, and many of them have commented that the grip is nothing like they remember rubber being. Lots of people swearing off foam and running rubber with us. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.