Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Charger question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Lipo Charger question

Has anyone used one of these yet?? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB9607

and if so how well does it or doesnt it work?

What is everyones perfered Charger that charges atleast 10amps?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Has anyone used one of these yet?? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB9607

and if so how well does it or doesnt it work?

What is everyones perfered Charger that charges atleast 10amps?
Not sure on this one, but I can tell you that more and more are coming out with a built in balancer... This seems to be key when charging to the full 100%. The reason, one set of cells could get over charged, while the other set gets under charged...

Just my thought, but before I invest another 35.00, I will be looking for smaller chargers with built in balancing... Since the airline lines are going to charge me 25.00 more for a second bag, I want be able to travel with small equipment... Need to make room for my shorts and shirts...

I know that Core has a new charger/balancer which is getting great reviews.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah i was looking for something small as well that will go up to 10amps....the Core charger only goes up to 5amps...they are nice and priced right.

Maybe something like this is better yet???

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=THP610

Is this charger a knock off of another charger on the market that Thunder Power slapped its name on?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

It only works with 3-4 chargers on the market, go to losi's site and read the fine print on it. I don't know of any chargers that go that high. Why would need to charge that most lipos don't like that high.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Yeah i was looking for something small as well that will go up to 10amps....the Core charger only goes up to 5amps...they are nice and priced right.

Is this charger a knock off of another charger on the market that Thunder Power slapped its name on?
That is the charger I'm looking for... What is the name of it that is available on the the current market? PM me if you need to....
Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Kevin,

That is the thunder power 610. It is a great charger with built in balancer. I just bought one and a buddy of mine has one too. They are nice!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
That is the charger I'm looking for... What is the name of it that is available on the the current market? PM me if you need to....

Thunder Power 610. My local hobby shop ordered it for me and I picked it up a week ago and have already used it.......it is nice!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by picco007
Kevin,

That is the thunder power 610. It is a great charger with built in balancer. I just bought one and a buddy of mine has one too. They are nice!
Thanks....that looks like what I will be hunting down.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1 for the Thunder Power 610C. picked one up late last week, it's a great charger. love the size too - compact.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Kevin, what LiPo do you need to charge at 10A that your putting in a TC?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Kevin, why do you need to charge at 10-amps? Are you planning on running 10,000mAh LiPos? I'm not being a smart ass here, but really with charging at 1c I can't really see why you'd need anything over 6A, with 5 being ok in most instances.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

From what I’m told a higher rate just charges faster correct? And from what I can gather is needed some times depending on how much time you have and how much you take out of the pack? Plus from what people are saying a higher rate of charge is making the packs run faster...getting them hotter? If none of this is true then I guess I don’t need a 10 amp charge....but I would rather have a charger that can go that high and turn it down then one that doesn’t and have to buy another one later.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

If you are charging nimh batteries then the highest most people charge is 5-6 amps. Thats only done in stock or 19 turn, because it lowers capacity. Mod guy chage at 4-5 amps. Nimh do run best when warm from a freash peak charge. Lipo is totally different. You do not want them to feel warm. That means a possible fire or explosion. The charge rate for lipo is measured as 1c. Which means for every 1000mah of capacity, the charger charges at 1 amp. So a 5000mah pack would charge at 5 amps.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by revo61
If you are charging nimh batteries then the highest most people charge is 5-6 amps. Thats only done in stock or 19 turn, because it lowers capacity. Mod guy chage at 4-5 amps. Nimh do run best when warm from a freash peak charge. Lipo is totally different. You do not want them to feel warm. That means a possible fire or explosion. The charge rate for lipo is measured as 1c. Which means for every 1000mah of capacity, the charger charges at 1 amp. So a 5000mah pack would charge at 5 amps.
I don’t know if you go to a lot of national races but most people in stock and 19t don’t limit themselves to 5-6 amps....more like 8-10 amps. Mod guys from what I have seen are charging at over 6 amps as well. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago the amp rates you posted were the norm but they are far from that now at larger events that mean something. Also if you have been following anything with the lipo packs you will see that people are heating them up to make them run faster....hence the reason I was looking for a 10amp charger...so I could use 10amps when I need to.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

over charging your lipo packs is a big no no. it doesnt give you any additional run time, or better voltage. what over charging does do is shorten the life of the battery, and could be very dangerous. it could cause the battery to fail, would would then cause it to cath on fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.