Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Much Tekin Prez!

One quick noobie question:

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
Another thing we have learned is the the unit will not calibrate the brake signal if you have any kind of antilock turned on in the radio.
I understand that I should have my "ABS" turned off during calibration. Would you recommend leaving it disabled while I drive?

My setup: AE TC5R, Tekin RS, Tekin 17.5, Futaba 3PKS.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
In effect we have a 3 speed tranny which allows you to run lower gearing, get better launches and acceleration and still get good top speed with less overall heat…. In short it makes you go fast!

Tekin Prez
First off again, im not bashing the esc timing! I'm using the RS and SPX and cannot see the real benefits, as yet.

if the esc timing allows you to get better acceleration, is this cos purely from the lower gearing you can run, I gather?

I have tried all combos, and to be honest with you, my car is not out running a normal esc car with normal gearing. Not that I dont see the benefits of running tekin. I love the small physical size compared to the monster lrps and novaks.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hacker
First off again, im not bashing the esc timing! I'm using the RS and SPX and cannot see the real benefits, as yet.

if the esc timing allows you to get better acceleration, is this cos purely from the lower gearing you can run, I gather?

I have tried all combos, and to be honest with you, my car is not out running a normal esc car with normal gearing. Not that I dont see the benefits of running tekin. I love the small physical size compared to the monster lrps and novaks.

I share your opinion
Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

I dont really agree with motor timing statements you made.

motor timing, to me anyway, affects not just the initial first few feet, but the entire power range. I know this is an onroad forum, but when I apply full throttle, and then change the timing, I can physically see the tyre expand considerably! More motor timing equals less torque, and more rpm. So your statements are very contradictive to what actually happens in real situations.
I'm pretty sure the President of Tekin know's what he's talking about.
Are you refering to the tyre growth of off road tyres in the air at full throttle? If so this is a function of unloaded RPM, but not really a measure of power- it's not the same thing.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not the expert...but I do see what you are saying. However, the benefit is being able to fine tune if and when needed. The LRP has added timing in the ESC also. It's just at set intervals.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BagofSkill
I'm pretty sure the President of Tekin know's what he's talking about.
Are you refering to the tyre growth of off road tyres in the air at full throttle? If so this is a function of unloaded RPM, but not really a measure of power- it's not the same thing.
yes in the air.

But regardless, you can see on track that advance motor timing does substantially increase top end, with the downside of less torque. Whereas stated earlier, motor timing apparently only affects the first few feet, which I disagree.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

yes in the air.

But regardless, you can see on track that advance motor timing does substantially increase top end, with the downside of less torque. Whereas stated earlier, motor timing apparently only affects the first few feet, which I disagree.
I think you're mincing words here. The Tekin Prez was trying to provide a simplification for how things work. What is more correct (and a lot wordier and confusing) is that of the three referenced types of timing (motor, boost, and turbo), only motor affects the start, motor + boost affect the middle, and motor + boost + turbo affect the top end.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've been having a problem with my RS recently. I seem to lose power to the car intermittently. Sometimes I lose steering as well and sometimes I dont, just motor. What could it be? Is it possible I blew the cap? Would that do that? All the wires seem fine.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default profile search

Okay guys just need to have a little help with setting up my rs pro for 13.5, it will be in a cyclone tc and the track is 120x60. Im looking for profile and gearing with a redline 13.5 motor. I do have the hotwire and the latest 198 software. Trying to get this setup before sundays race in Camarillo.

Thanks
Ron P
Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Orbital

Sounds like an issue with power getting to the reciever. That could be the BEC, the wires running from the ESC to the reciever, or the reciever itself. I would check the wires where it plugs into the reciever...I see often on club transponders where we'll get an internal break in the wire but the insulation is fine so from the outside the wire looks fine. The same thing could be happening to your ESC.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What is this "turbo" that people speak of?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

InspGadgt

I had the same with my Spektrum receiver. Open it up and get rid of all the debris and the problem will go away.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default 13.5

Ron P,

Start out with a FDR of 5.2 and work your way down based on temp.
Set your motor timing to 8-12 and boost at 20. No drag brake and 60
brake strength to start...the lower the brake strength the lower your
motor temp will be.

Good luck!
Brett
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I dont really agree with motor timing statements you made.

motor timing, to me anyway, affects not just the initial first few feet, but the entire power range. I know this is an onroad forum, but when I apply full throttle, and then change the timing, I can physically see the tyre expand considerably! More motor timing equals less torque, and more rpm. So your statements are very contradictive to what actually happens in real situations.
I am going to jump in here, I think you misunderstood what the prez was referring to, he was explaining how it works when you utilize the distinct features of the RS or RSPro as you set them to be run. If you were able to increase the physical timing on the motor as you were racing, it would effect the rpm, exactly as you found while you held it in the air and adjusted it. But you are doing something dynamically to the physical timing while it is running, nobody is doing that as a car is racing, yet... so, you are changing something (the physical timing) that would not be changing as you are running.

The RS or RSPro, starts with the set motor timing, which is what the prez was referring to as to why it effects the start-up, THEN moves to the other features of timing adjustment in the RS or RSPro, one being boost, and soon, turbo. (and these will do what they do with the given starting physical timing that you set the motor at) Each of those are unique in what they do, but all help to increase rpm (overall speed), without sacrificing low end power,, and when all is set up correctly to use all of these features, it also helps keep heat lower at the same time. Thats means its more efficient too, so the battery holds a higher peak, that makes you faster also.

Your face hurt from all that smiling yet?

Hope I got that right prez,
Going to see you at IIC?

-Alex

Last edited by oldrcr; 06-13-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Crosson
What is this "turbo" that people speak of?
Turbo is a new feature currently being formulated and will be out when it is done with testing and troubleshooting.
Soon we all hope, but willing to wait till its ready, as long as that is before tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.