Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hacker
why is the latest software maxboost of 40 or 45(cant remember) not anymore then the old 30 max?

Now this is starting to get confusing.

first off it was 100
30 boost
now 40/45 boost

So with the latest software, 20 would equal around 16-17 in the old scale?
1 - You're getting confused between Timing in sensored mode (0 - 100 scale) and Timing Boost in sensored mode (0 - 30 degrees).

2 - I think the new "scale" is to reflect the actual timing rather than just the timing added by the boost. As has been said numerous times, in sensored mode even if you set the timing on the motor's endbell to 0 degrees you'll actually have 15 degrees because of the way it works. So 30 degrees of boost and 0 motor timing is in fact 45 degrees of timing which is what is shown by the new hotwire.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

ah that makes sense now.

Maybe in future, the manual should state about the 15 degrees timing as standard in sensored mode. People just would not know, unless they frequent this excellent forum.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

ah that makes sense now.

Maybe in future, the manual should state about the 15 degrees timing as standard in sensored mode. People just would not know, unless they frequent this excellent forum.
What manual !!!

Thats the only gripe i have with Tekin at the moment.

"2 - I think the new "scale" is to reflect the actual timing rather than just the timing added by the boost. As has been said numerous times, in sensored mode even if you set the timing on the motor's endbell to 0 degrees you'll actually have 15 degrees because of the way it works. So 30 degrees of boost and 0 motor timing is in fact 45 degrees of timing which is what is shown by the new hotwire."

to clarify if i was using a SP motor which has 12 deg timing i would add 15 deg and if using 20 degrees boost would effectively be running 47degrees timing ? is that correct ???
Think that would be pushing it.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

why is the latest software maxboost of 40 or 45(cant remember) not anymore then the old 30 max?

Now this is starting to get confusing.

first off it was 100
30 boost
now 40/45 boost

So with the latest software, 20 would equal around 16-17 in the old scale?
The latest software is broken.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by razzor
to clarify if i was using a SP motor which has 12 deg timing i would add 15 deg and if using 20 degrees boost would effectively be running 47degrees timing ? is that correct ???
Think that would be pushing it.
Yes that is correct.
I drive with the speedpassion with boost on 23.
THis because we have a longer straight.

I have a total timing of 50.
On smaller tracks i drive 40 tot 45 total timing.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So,
I'm just curious, but is it better to runner a smaller pinion and increase timing or leave timing the same and adjust your gear?

Or are you using timing to adjust the car when you get the Final ratio you want?

Josh
Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikky32
Yes that is correct.
I drive with the speedpassion with boost on 23.
THis because we have a longer straight.

I have a total timing of 50.
On smaller tracks i drive 40 tot 45 total timing.
Would this also apply if using teh SP GT esc ??
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

just a question on the push control. Does it help a brushless motor to "coast as well or is it purely for brushed motors? or is it with push control and brushless motors that the motor is still running a little when i go from full throttle to no throttle if i put push control on?

If so how would that work with drag brakes then? Is it then that when i leave the throttle from full throttle to no throttle that first the drag brakes are applied and then after a while i get the coasting effect? That would be interesting to use.

edit:

Ok i tried it just now cause i was curious. Put coasting on 40 and hold my car up in the air and the effect is just the opposite then what i thought! After i leave throttle then first coasting is applied and then after that draggbrakes are applied. Hmmm maybe i can use that as well lol but would have preferred the other way around more.

Maybe an idea to put an extra function in hotwire to sellect wich effect you want? First dragbrake and then coasting or first coasting and then dragbrakes.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 05-26-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
just a question on the push control. Does it help a brushless motor to "coast as well or is it purely for brushed motors? or is it with push control and brushless motors that the motor is still running a little when i go from full throttle to no throttle if i put push control on?

If so how would that work with drag brakes then? Is it then that when i leave the throttle from full throttle to no throttle that first the drag brakes are applied and then after a while i get the coasting effect? That would be interesting to use.

edit:

Ok i tried it just now cause i was curious. Put coasting on 40 and hold my car up in the air and the effect is just the opposite then what i thought! After i leave throttle then first coasting is applied and then after that draggbrakes are applied. Hmmm maybe i can use that as well lol but would have preferred the other way around more.

Maybe an idea to put an extra function in hotwire to sellect wich effect you want? First dragbrake and then coasting or first coasting and then dragbrakes.
You should not have push control on as well as drag brake otherwise you will get the effect you just found. Put the drag brake slider to 0 and then up the push control. You should notice some residual power being fed to the motor after you have returned the throttle to neutral.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

well the reason i want both is this:
1. I want to have drag brakes as it is something wich is a constant factor and my brake finger is not :-). I can slow down later for a turn because the brake is automatic. Only have to leave the finger of the throttle.
2. The downside is when i don't want to brake but only coast through a u turn for instance then i can't do that cause of the dragbrake. I then give a little gas but it happens that throttle is first on neutral ( it will brake instantly then) and then coast through the u turn with just a little throttle. It is not a fluent movement and it slows the car down.
3. when combined i can coast better through turns ( just have to find the sweet spot of the amount of push that is nescesary for my track, should not be much but just enough for when i leave throttle that dragbrake are not imediatly applied) but i still have dragbrakes when i have to brake after the long straight.

I gues the speed controller will get a little more heated cause it needs to do more work but i have a fan installed so no problems.

These are just my ideas of how i can use this feature. It could be that it drives horrible in reality and after one round i just put it back the way it was lol

Last edited by 2wdrive; 05-26-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoshM20
So,
I'm just curious, but is it better to runner a smaller pinion and increase timing or leave timing the same and adjust your gear?

Or are you using timing to adjust the car when you get the Final ratio you want?

Josh
That depends on witch track you drive.
I drive on a track that is bigger than a indoor track and to compensate the top speed i use 50 timing instead of 40 to 45 timing.
What track do you drive? how big is it?
Normally 45 is the best on most tracks.
If you come top speed to short you can ad some more boost but keep it than around the 50 timing.

On smaller tracks like indoor tracks keep the max on 45.
0 on the motor and boost on 30. that is a good setup.
tried it here and the acceleration was great.
Because of the long straight i hath to go to 50 timing.
lost a bit of acceleration and got some more top speed.

Originally Posted by razzor
Would this also apply if using teh SP GT esc ??
I don't have a SP GT esc.
Don't now how it works.
I have a Speedpassion 10.5T motor, LRP X11 10,5T, Tekin Redline 10,5T and some mod motors and a 9,5T Speedpassion motor.
And most important, a Tekin RS Pro esc.
That makes the motors go fast.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

1. I want to have drag brakes as it is something wich is a constant factor and my brake finger is not :-). I can slow down later for a turn because the brake is automatic. Only have to leave the finger of the throttle.
2. The downside is when i don't want to brake but only coast through a u turn for instance then i can't do that cause of the dragbrake. I then give a little gas but it happens that throttle is first on neutral ( it will brake instantly then) and then coast through the u turn with just a little throttle. It is not a fluent movement and it slows the car down.
3. when combined i can coast better through turns ( just have to find the sweet spot of the amount of push that is nescesary for my track, should not be much but just enough for when i leave throttle that dragbrake are not imediatly applied) but i still have dragbrakes when i have to brake after the long straight.

I gues the speed controller will get a little more heated cause it needs to do more work but i have a fan installed so no problems.

These are just my ideas of how i can use this feature. It could be that it drives horrible in reality and after one round i just put it back the way it was lol
Hi, you defiantly wont get away with doing that, the two settings are complete opposites in their nature. Simply, Drag brake = More braking feel at neutral throttle, Push control = Less natural braking at neutral throttle. The ESC cant know that you’re in a “U turn” and don’t require the drag brake.

It defiantly sounds like you’re driving style require drag brake, keep the PC turned off, the only thing you can work on is to try and improve your braking skills to allow you to use a lower value of DB, making it easier in those “U turn” situations. Also keep it present in your mind that the DB is only ever active when the ESC see’s neutral, as long as you provide a tiny bit of throttle you’ll be free from the braking effects.

If you find your braking to be to inconsistent, it is helpful to turn down the brake strength for smoother braking.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

If you strictly use drag brakes to brake I assume you have a flowing driving style and even if you had brakes you wouldn't use them much anyways. I would suggest setting up push to your liking and then lowering the brake strength so you can grab full brake on your radio and it will apply the same amount of brakes as your previous drag brake setting.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What was the wrapup from the reedy by class?

Did someone find the smoke release button on an RX8?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Krio
If you strictly use drag brakes to brake I assume you have a flowing driving style and even if you had brakes you wouldn't use them much anyways. I would suggest setting up push to your liking and then lowering the brake strength so you can grab full brake on your radio and it will apply the same amount of brakes as your previous drag brake setting.
Alternatively you can set drag brake where you want it then change your throttle curve so that there is very little throttle when you initially pull...so to coast you essentially just hold a little bit of throttle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.