Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry level 1/8th buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Entry level 1/8th buggy?

Well, im just getting back into the RC scene, this time id like to compete a little at the local club level. I am moving to a new city with a nice dirt track, and an active 1/8th scale group. Ive only ever ran electric cars before, and never any more than for my own fun in a backyard or lot .

it doesnt need to be a "ready-to-run" rig, i can handle any assembly and setup. Im just looking for a nice entry level setup, nothing fancy, something that can handle a new-ish driver.

Thanks in advance,
Absolution/Mike
Old 04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What is your budget? The Losi 8ight and Associated RC8 are some of the cheapest kits that are awesome race buggies. The Hyper 8.5 is also a solid performer.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Be sure to check what companies the local hobby shops carry. Unless you want to always wait for shipping.

some of the top entry level cars right now seem to be in no particular order:
Kyosho 777
Mugen MBX5
Losi 8ight
Associated RC8
Ofna / hobao / Jammin : hyper 8.5 and that jammin X1X
Xray coming out with 808

some more budget minded companies:
team vtx rtr
thunder tiger rtr
XTM rtr.... lol
Old 04-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Rookie

i can spend pretty much whatever, but im looking to keep it as low as possible, incase i end up not enjoying the 1/8th as much as i think i will.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Check out the Redcat Hurricane, sub $300 ready to run buggy.

www.redcatracing.com

www.affordablerc.com
Old 04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xjedix
Check out the Redcat Hurricane, sub $300 ready to run buggy.

www.redcatracing.com

www.affordablerc.com

lets not turn this into another bash thread like what usually comes out when someone says redcat, but 99.9% of the people will agree that its not a quality buggy for what we put RACE buggies through..

buy a race quality buggy man, dont let a sub-par manufacturer ruin your fun..

i reccomend going to that local track and to the local hobby shop and see what everyone else is running, and decide from there.. something you can get some help and parts are easy to come by in a pinch..
Old 04-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

If you are comfortable with any level of RC car building and maintenance, check out the For Sale forums on here. I was in your position, looking for my first 1/8 scale buggy and not really sure what direction I wanted to go in. I found a very nice XRAY XB8 EC here for $200 - just needs what any roller kit would need.

Couldn't beat that price, not for a $700 car. Just a thought, unless you want to go new for sure. The way you can download manuals, get forum help, and get parts support in just 2-3 days online really expands your options.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Try This

I belive you should wait until you get to the new town/track and go on a practis? day and try to meet the guy running things. He knows what is working on "His" track and could more than likely know of a good deal on a good runner/starter. And you could see what's "hot" there. But if you can"t wait to start to playing just get a name you know and start building and burning soon. You'll know soon enough if you went the right way. Have fun/burn nitro.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on your budget, I agree on getting a used one first.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Don't buy a cheap off brand,get a quality machine thru your LHS if you don't like it at least it may be worth something to someone else unless you want a cool paperweight.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

i did a little digging and im interested now in either a RTR Losi, or RTR associated, any advice on either of these? should i even bother w/ the RTR versions?

parts for both will be easy to get at the local shops here, and i know at least 1 guy at the shop runs the Losi, tho im not sure if he has the RTR version or the kit car.

as far as new or used goes, id like to buy new, but im not against searching for a nice used buggy.

id like to get something soon, which is why i was asking, i havnt had a chance yet to see the track or talk to a lot of the drivers, just a few of the hobby shop guys over the phone.

Thanks -
Abso/Mike
Old 04-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

VTX B1B is a good starter buggy 350.00 and mine is very competitive with the Losi,AE,Mugen. just have fun
Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Absolution
i did a little digging and im interested now in either a RTR Losi, or RTR associated, any advice on either of these? should i even bother w/ the RTR versions?

parts for both will be easy to get at the local shops here, and i know at least 1 guy at the shop runs the Losi, tho im not sure if he has the RTR version or the kit car.

as far as new or used goes, id like to buy new, but im not against searching for a nice used buggy.

id like to get something soon, which is why i was asking, i havnt had a chance yet to see the track or talk to a lot of the drivers, just a few of the hobby shop guys over the phone.

Thanks -
Abso/Mike

If you are planning on racing, the RTRs typically come with a .28 engine which may or may not be legal at your track. That's the main drawback. Other than that, either the Losi or AE would be a great choice, with good support and typically lots of other racers who run them.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It always boils down to Losi and Team Associated. Both are awesome cars and usually end up on the podium. Before I give you my opinion let me disclose something. I race the RC8. With that said, I will try to be as neutral as possible. Although I have never raced a Losi, I have read that they are very finicky. However, once you get them set up and adjust to the way they like to be drivin, they kick but. The Associated is also an awesome car. One of the great things about the associated is that it kicks but right out of the box. You can keep fine tunning it for even more performance. They are both great cars, but from what I read the Losi is for experienced racers that like to tune their cars.

Anyways, that is my two cents worth. Good luck and rest assured, both chassis serious race cars.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Rookie

well, i am for sure a newby when it comes to tuning cars, but having said that, id like to learn to be able to do it. is one harder to tune than the other? it might be better for me to get the Losi just because i know theres at least 1 person at the track i can ask for tuning tips...

Thanks again -
Abso/Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.