Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
how to remove rubber tires already glued on rims? >

how to remove rubber tires already glued on rims?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to remove rubber tires already glued on rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Default how to remove rubber tires already glued on rims?

if that's possible at all
Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

ca remover but it would be very messy. Are you trying to save the tire or the rim? I presume the rim?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sharp Xacto knifes........nothing else. But result is not going to be good.
Rims are way cheap....buy a new one. My guess is he is trying to save the rubbers...good luck.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

I have boiled them for around 20 mins before and it works a treat. The adhesive goes brittle and all you need do is peel the tyre off.
But beware; others have tried it at my club and the rims have warped, so it does depend on brand.

Never attempted dished rims myself because they are normally past their best and are not worth saving.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by shawnh
I have boiled them for around 20 mins before and it works a treat. The adhesive goes brittle and all you need do is peel the tyre off.
But beware; others have tried it at my club and the rims have warped, so it does depend on brand.

Never attempted dished rims myself because they are normally past their best and are not worth saving.

i actually want to save the tires and insert, not the rims, so does boiling hurt the tires and rims? thx
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Boiling wont hurt the tires. Be careful when you are pulling them off. If the glue is still adhering well you can rip the bead and leave some rubber on the wheel. Just boil longer if this happens. Acetone works well also, but soaking the tire in acetone will change the compound and may damage the insert.

Brad
Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Initiate

thx gents
Old 04-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Soak em in acetone, glue will be gone and nothing will get damaged.
Careful with the foam til it dries, it'll swell up and be very, very soft.
Squeeze the tires and let em fill up with acetone and they'll sink to the bottom of a paint can full of acetone and in a day or so they will peel off easily.
Guaranteed!
Old 04-19-2008, 02:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Soak em in acetone, glue will be gone and nothing will get damaged.
Careful with the foam til it dries, it'll swell up and be very, very soft.
Squeeze the tires and let em fill up with acetone and they'll sink to the bottom of a paint can full of acetone and in a day or so they will peel off easily.
Guaranteed!
That's if the rims don't dissolve into a liquid/acetone blend, which is what happens to Much More and Tamiya onroad rims
Old 04-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
That's if the rims don't dissolve into a liquid/acetone blend, which is what happens to Much More and Tamiya onroad rims
Ahh... The joys of harsh chemicals in the morning...

Seriously though, i have used the boiling, and acetone methods before. i much prefer boiling, just be careful not to burn yourself. maybe get some gloves for pulling the tires off.

cheers!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you really want to save both the tire and the foam then boiling may not be the answer since it doesn't get the bond hot enough to break free easily. You will end up ripping one or more of the tires also boiling will just about ruin the foams. Acetone will ruin both the tire and the foam not to mention that acetone is easliy absorbed through your skin and is carcenogenic.

The only sure fire way I know of and have used repeatedly with excellent results is to bake them off. Set an old toaster oven (or if the old lady doesn't mind, the regular oven) to 300F or 325F and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes. Let the wheels cool and peel the tires off. The glue becomes brittle and will flake off. (Boiling sort of does the same thing but the temperature is too low, only 212F). Only drawback, the stink which is why I recommend an old toaster oven outdoors.

Now you can reuse the tires, foams and wheels.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

it depends
are they factory glued?
or did you [or someone else] glue them?
factory glued, throw away almost impossible to do
regular [c-a] acetone, I use a dropper to squirt around rim & work by hand saves a lot of acetone & rims, wear rubber gloves to keep from ingesting chemicals thru skin
boiling is VERY dangerous, scalding hat water is worse than acetone trust me

I own a small LHS & do this all the time

Thankx, Speedy
Old 04-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
...not to mention that acetone is easliy absorbed through your skin and is carcenogenic.
Not this BS again. If it was carcinigenic, it would be labeled as such when included in nail polish remover and all the ladies at the nail salons would be dead (well maybe not right away, but acetone has been used in nail polish remover for decades).

Originally Posted by speedybill
regular [c-a] acetone, I use a dropper to squirt around rim & work by hand saves a lot of acetone & rims, wear rubber gloves to keep from ingesting chemicals thru skin
Acetone doesn't dissolve CA in an instant. Better to find a large container, put acetone in it and suspend the rims above the liquid. Let the vapors attach the CA. This takes a while but very little effort.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Tech Addict

I've just been through the process of acetone and a sealed container. Worked a treat !

Put the tyres into the box, and covered the bottom edges with acetone, then sealed it and left it overnight. In the morning turn the wheels over and leave until that evening. I managed to save three sets of tyres this way (wasn't fussed about the rims, although they weren't damaged in the process).
I'd recommend you check first with a little acetone on the rim to see if it damages it or not.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Tech Champion

Whatever way you choose to follow, don't overdo it. I could imagine boiling or chemicals making the wheel softer and/or make them brittle.

At least this could warp or weaken the wheel, at worst they'll snap when you are using the car, neither of which will end up being very productive...

Im not sure about the tyres and inserts either, foam inserts could fall apart, the moulded inserts may distort....

That said, ive never tried removing glued tyres from their wheels though, so the people that have already tried doing it and posted their experiences here are probably worth listening to more than me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.