Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Foam tire storage (not the container aspect) >

Foam tire storage (not the container aspect)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam tire storage (not the container aspect)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Foam tire storage (not the container aspect)

I''m sure this was discussed elsewhere, but it's a broad subject to search for... Sorry.

I ran a new set of foams yesterday, now I need to store them for a while (summer arrived in 1 day). They managed to pick up enough dust to suffocate a small person, though. Before I store them, how should I clean them, and should I put anything on them before putting them away (traction compound etc)?

Thanks guys
Chris
Old 04-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Great question... I would think maybe do a light trim on the tyre truer then put them in a sealed bag...

I wouldn't think they'd dry out as much as rubber tyres.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
I''m sure this was discussed elsewhere, but it's a broad subject to search for... Sorry.

I ran a new set of foams yesterday, now I need to store them for a while (summer arrived in 1 day). They managed to pick up enough dust to suffocate a small person, though. Before I store them, how should I clean them, and should I put anything on them before putting them away (traction compound etc)?

Thanks guys
Chris
I believe people use lighter fluid. I also know alot of people use motor spray, which from my experience is real bad, because it weakens the glue holding the foam to the rim, and it weakens the foam, and it is more prone to chunking. I guess if your money bags and can affords foams every week motor spray is fine, but if you on a budget of a 14 year old, you need to make your foams last long. I found I can get 3 weekends (about 300 minutes of track time total) out of foams before they re too small or chucked up, if I cut the foams low, have the correct camber on my car, don't hit anything, store the tires off the car in a box, and don't clean the tires. For cleaning I will do a very light pass with my truer, if I see a build up of compound, which only happens with certain compounds. Hope that helps.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I store my tires in tubes (generic Wal-Mart brand) Crystal Light type containers. I clean them with a mild dishwashing soap and warm water...towel dry, then air dry overnight. I don't true them when putting them away...instead when I'm ready to use them again, I hit them on the truer and they are fresh like NEW.

Stuff like Non-Pumice GoJo hand cleaner works to freshen them up after they've been cut also - the lighter fluid does ok too but NOT to store them.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

thanks for the tips, guys! I think I'll try the lighter fluid method, maybe see if I can also give some life to an old set of tires.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Suspended

you're such a smart guy, you should be able to figure that one out on your own
Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

and you're such a ****sucker you shouldn't even have time to be on r/c tech replying to EVERY thread on here with nothing important to say.

No, really, you're a giant ****sucker, like paris hilton, but you're probably fat and bald.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

i dont really clean my foams as well even though our outdoor track is dusty. i do true them twice though, once when brand new to obtain optimal size and 2nd when the tire is out of shape due to conning. im agree that motor spray may damage the structure of the foam especially those with rubber content eg. 1/12 scale foams.
if its me, just a damp cloth will do just fine or a light if you're losing traction
Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
and you're such a ****sucker you shouldn't even have time to be on r/c tech replying to EVERY thread on here with nothing important to say.

No, really, you're a giant ****sucker, like paris hilton, but you're probably fat and bald.
I don't think Paris Hilton is either fat or bald.

Not so fun getting hassled, and having your own little stalking game turned around on you, now is it moron?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RocketRob40
I don't think Paris Hilton is either fat or bald.

Not so fun getting hassled, and having your own little stalking game turned around on you, now is it moron?
Actually he was saying your like Paris Hilton, but your different because your fat and bald. He never said Paris Hilton was fat and bald, so your clearly wrong, and I think your first post on this thread was uncalled for so you might want to change it because it makes you look like a d***** bag. Have a nice day.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RCSteve93
Actually he was saying your like Paris Hilton, but your different because your fat and bald. He never said Paris Hilton was fat and bald, so your clearly wrong, and I think your first post on this thread was uncalled for so you might want to change it because it makes you look like a d***** bag. Have a nice day.
I know what he tried to say.
But since I've never sucked a single ****, I thought the statement made about as much sense as Paris being fat and bald. Maybe in your oh-so-wise state of being you could explain how it could work out otherwise?

You think my first post on this thread was uncalled for?
Are you my mother, or my wife, or my boss or something?

You chiming in and adding your piddling 2-cents worth not only makes you look like a d****bag sucking moron that can't mind their own business, it shows your mind-numbing ignorance. Why? Because you were't aware that he's been stalking me on several threads and writing me profanity-filled emails for weeks - totally unprovoked, just being a jerkoff... kinda like how you're acting now!

Get the facts straight next time pal......................

Last edited by RocketRob40; 04-14-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Lock this one up Mr Moderator no need for this kind of talk.