Where To Get 26mm Slicks??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Does Ellegi still make rubber tires?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, but I don't know of anyone that carries them for sure in the states.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually since Ellegi is a moniker of GRP, you may be able to find the same tires just under a different name. There are still the same tires.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Where To Get 26mm Slicks??

Originally posted by NTC3 Racer
Hi Everyone,
I have a ntc3 and my tires are worn out. I am running on asphalt (NOT TREATED) and i'm looking for some high performance tires for a good price. Everywhere i look, all i see are 24 MM TIRES ! NOBODY MAKES GOOD WHEELS THAT LOOK LIKE REAL ONES IN 24 MM WHEELS. Anyways, i'm looking for really good tires and i can't find them. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places. Please help me as i can't run my car.

THANKS
CJ DUDLEY
NTC3
You can put 24mm tires on a 26mm rim and vice versa; it helps eliminate the air gap and provides less sidewall flex as well. Put some sorexs on the traxxas inch up 26mm rim. Have you seen HPI's 24 mm rims; some of those look pretty realistic IMHO.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Lythion
I noticed on the grooved tires that the outside shoulders were not worn at all. This is what makes me suspect that 2 deg. might be a little too much.
When you inspect a tire for even tire wear, grooving doesn't really count.

If you look at every tire that has grooving on it, you will notice that the grooves only form on the inside. They are never formed on the outside. What this means is that too much weight is being transfered to one side, and during high speed cornering, the tire is folding under on the outside tire (the side wall is not supported enough so it flattens out). Also, as it folds under from the outside edge, the tire tread shifts inwards and the inside tire's sidewall gets pushed over and since the sidewall is so thick, it pushes out that little patch of rubber where all grooves form.

Grooving is a case where the insert is too soft, and you simply have too much traction for your equipment to work properly and consistently.

Having too much negative camber will never... never, be the single cause of grooving. I know because I've seen cars that have had 5 degrees of negative camber (they crashed) and they did not have tire grooving. The only thing that happens to a tire with excessive negative camber and proper tire inserts will be excessive inside tire wear, but not grooving.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Tech Initiate

what is shore???what does it mean??
Old 08-04-2003, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TRF_TG10R
what is shore???what does it mean??
shore is the firmness of foam tires

kina like 33r and 35r for HPI tires

and 36r and 40r for sorex tires

the higher the # the firmer the tire
Old 08-04-2003, 02:43 AM
Tech Master

Did you mean to put tire heat ratings? Because that is quite different from foam tire 'shore' ratings.

A tire with a shore rating of 35 has 35 ?(don't know the measurement, but doesn't really matter) as measured by a durometer. 35 is soft, 45 is harder 55 is super hard and 25 is ridiculously soft. For Nitro tourers, we use between 35 and 45 shore tires, usually. Jaco makes 50's for the front tires, and others must make softer, but just ask around your track for the hot setup, but it can differ greatly between drivers.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

closest thing i could think of

it is some wat similar in wear, if im not mistaken
Old 08-04-2003, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

Okay, I get it, but that could give the idea that 35 shore foams work best when a track is cold. That isn't necessarily true. Foams are relatively unaffected by temperature changes, while rubber tires are. And, really, 40R's aren't actually harder than 36R's, it is just that they provide less wear than 36R's if the track temp favors a harder compound (your point, exactly).