2008 1/12th Euros, Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 1/12th Euros, Germany

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

If I had taken time off work, forked out for new tyres/rims and then spent more money on going to a big meeting like this, I would be totally p****d off to find that those tyres/rims where in fact illegal to use at that meeting. We are only talking .2 mm for god's sake!! What performance differance is any normal racer going to get with that!! NONE WHATSOEVER!! That's like saying that it's illegal to true down more than 20% off the original tyre when it comes out of the box. Some people have to remember that people like me spent a lot of hard earned money on this hobby and stupid rules like this one spoil it. It's fine for the sponsored racer out there that gets everything for free or cheap but I for one could not afford to replace 6 sets of tyres/rims just because of .2mm!!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Gang,

We are still investigating exactly what happened at the 2008 Euro’s. We are very sorry to hear that the competition was tarnished by this problem. This is a delicate issue so I do not want to post any information that could be untrue.

As I mentioned on the UK forum (after being alerted to the problem this morning in an e-mail), the facts are as follows;

1 - I do know that all the US manufactures were e-mailed by ROAR on 3/19/2008 regarding oversized wheels in 1:12th scale. Manufactures on this list were Parma, Jaco, CRC and BSR. We were alerted to check our wheels as some manufacturers were too large. Ours were re-checked and found them to be within the rules.

Here is a link to the actual ROAR Statement e-mailed to us 3-19-08;

http://www.teamcrc.com/ftp_temp/ROAR...ifications.pdf

2 - Hoeco Modellbau is the mainland European distributor for CRC. Robert Bachofner is not the distributor for CRC in Europe. Robert is not employed by CRC nor Hoeco (to my knowledge).

3 – If there was a protest filed, CRC played no part in the protest or dispute.

We need time to gather some additional information as to what actually happened and report with an official statement from Calandra Racing Concepts.

Regards,
Frank Calandra
Old 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thank you for the response Frank, Jack and you have been put in an awkward situation.

I'll bet 85-90 percent of the racers count/assume/what ever the products CRC, Jaco, and others sell are within ROAR/IFMAR specifications. Motors, bodies and batteries are closely teched, but this the first time I've heard of 12 scale foam tires being DQ'd.....

Live and learn.....
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Couldn't you argue that JACO knew about the issue weeks before the event and didn't tell anyone either, leaving their own customers in the lurch?
After reading this thread, from my point of view as an average Joe hobbyist, it would have been nice if the race management team decided to allow the “average Joe” racer to use the illegal items during the duration of the race. And the tech team should have warned the top level competitors that this product will not be allowed in the A-main. Something of that nature would have not penalized anyone. The Average Joe would still have had fun running around in the D main without the expense of buying new tires. However, the top drivers who felt they had a chance to make the A or win the event, they would have had to find legal product to use.

Assuming the ROAR letter posted by Team CRC is authentic, each manufacturer knew about possible problems well before the event.

Shame on Jaco and CS (? or who ever else was found illegal) for not responding to ROAR’s letter and “taking a chance” by sending their customers and team drivers to a big race without telling them of possible legality issues. This is where the blame should lie, not with the race management team, technical inspectors, other manufactures or the protesting party. The manufacture is at fault, simple as that, they were warned and turned a blind eye. It is improper to blame others.