Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8 starter box

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 8 starter box

What do you guys think of the 8 box I'm not very impressed it doesnt have much power with those motors and I to put wire loom around the the wires for the batt I'm using a gel cell way to many sharp edges in the box.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the losi box is the Bomb...all u gotta do is rewire it with some Wet Noodle and Solder all the connections....I have yett to have the box Not Start anything i got....the motor's are more then enuff imo...also breakin in the motor's helps alot and keeping the brush's/comm in good condition.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Agreed... fires up my Go Tech .21 7 Port without issue and I use 2 stick batteries...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fire Me
What do you guys think of the 8 box I'm not very impressed it doesnt have much power with those motors and I to put wire loom around the the wires for the batt I'm using a gel cell way to many sharp edges in the box.
If you can't start an engine with a dual-motored starter box you're not using it right: I've been starting a massively tight Nova P5X on the Ofna plastic starter box that has about half the torque.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I may not be doing it right but I've been trying to break in a Novarossi P5X on a Losi starter box and it's been difficult. Engine is locked at the moment but I believe the problem might be I've not brought the engine up to a high enough temp.

I had it up to 150 degrees with a hairdryer and it did fire up. It cooled a bit then wouldn't start. I bought a heat gun to get it around 200 and hopefully I will be in good shape. (crossing fingers)
Old 04-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
the losi box is the Bomb...all u gotta do is rewire it with some Wet Noodle and Solder all the connections....I have yett to have the box Not Start anything i got....the motor's are more then enuff imo...also breakin in the motor's helps alot and keeping the brush's/comm in good condition.
I was just wondering how you keep the brushes and comm in good shape on these motors? Please explain what you are doing to keep these in good condition?
Old 04-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I think losi updated the box I was told. I own a new losi box and it turns over my new rb s7 fine
Old 04-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A Can motor's is Just that....they are just like a Race motor ud throw in a Touring car and go racing on carpet with....so in reality can be cared for the same way.....When BRAND new the brush's arent seeted to the comm....so the wise idea is to take 15-20 min and work the motor's On and Off for couple minutes at a time with NO load/....and somewhere in between use some comm drops and even some bearing drops on the motor's shaft...that will help the bushing's Or Bearing out.....basically this will ensure your motors will last a while....Most Can motor's u cant pull the comm and everything out...but thats not soo important...as most guys arent gonna be goin and buying a Comm truer for the sole purpous of starter box motor's.....u should get at least a couple good seasons on a starter box.....then look into swappin out the motor's for fresh 1'z...and MAke sure to line up the chassy on the box Without the motor installed so then u can get a visual refference of where the box wheel is in relation to the flywheel....Sometimes its on either end to the extreme..and might not be 100% on the flywheel....check that and make sure its smack in the middle.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Maybe I go a bad box or something I don't know but other boxes I have used seem to be stronger.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Is the battery freshly charged? I find that when I use 2 stick batteries I get more power than with my 12v cell. I also soldered all of the connections as some were very loose... I even replaced the stock wires with a thicker gauge.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes I picked up a new batt and peaked before I used it. I going to solder the connections like you said I did notice they were a little sloppy and not a very heavy gauge wire.Also the pig tails are to short to hook up.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

Perfect starts everytime. Replaced all the plugs with Deans, lower guage wire and using two 2 cell 2100mah LiPo's.