Himoto High Down Force Wing v2 >

Himoto High Down Force Wing v2

Himoto High Down Force Wing v2

Old 03-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Himoto High Down Force Wing v2

Hi has anyone seen this wing??
It looks so different with the air holes in the gurnie flap.
Got it cheap from A Main.. looks ok otherwise.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

i will NEVER purchase another himoto product again. ever.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadRacer
Hi has anyone seen this wing??
It looks so different with the air holes in the gurnie flap.
Got it cheap from A Main.. looks ok otherwise.

So the air passes right through essentially loosing all of that " high down force"
Old 03-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I can't comment personally but my brother runs that wing on his losi 8t and says it works really good.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok... I'm going to offer an unbiased explanation of what is wrong with that wing design. You can choose to ignore this, or believe that I am biased because I am sponsored by Team Cobra... however, I can assure you that what I am telling you is correct.

I'm going to start with a blanket statement that the OLD Himoto wing, now produced by Team Cobra, is the most effective high downforce wing on the market. Angelo from Team Cobra was the designer of that wing. Here is why:

There is one major flaw with virtually ALL of the wings on the market, no matter if they are standard or high downforce. There is a lip on the lower surface of the leading edge. This lip disrupts the airflow over the lower side of the wing, creating turbulence, and that is simply drag, with no aerodynamic downforce.

What most people don't realize is that the LOWER side of the wing produces the most downforce if designed properly, not the upper surface.

Look at the wing of an airplane. It has a smooth curve, which accelerates the airflow, causing low pressure and creating lift. While the lower surface of the wing does create SOME lift, it is simply by the airflow meeting that surface at an angle. The low pressure area on the upper surfThis principle is what allows aircraft to fly efficiently, and has been understood by aerodynamicists for the entire history of aviation, including the Wright Brothers. It has been proven time and again throughout the history of aviation, and is simple physics. (Or, perhaps not so simple, but it IS the way it works!)

The wing on an RC car, or a full scale car, can be thought of as an upside down airplane wing. IF designed properly, the lower surface would provide more downforce than the upper surface. (That means no lip on the lower side of the front edge to disrupt the airflow.)

Now, what most wing designers have done right is that there is a slot running across the rear portion of the wing where it starts to curve more sharply upward. This re-energizes the airflow and allows it to stay attached to the curved surface. This is the same principle as slotted flaps as used on large commercial airliners, and most other aircraft as well.

This wing, while it "looks cool," has both the problem of the lip on the lower side of the front edge, and no slot to bleed air through to re-energize the airflow. It has more in common with a parachute than a wing. Sorry, just the aerodynamic facts.

Now, you may choose to think this is simply a plug for Team Cobra products, but I can assure you it is not. If you look back at the discussion of high-downforce wings, I explained this same thing... prior to even knowing anything about Team Cobra. (Signature updates posts retroactively... so it will show "Team Cobra International" in my signature.) In fact, that discussion and Angelo's off-line emails to me about the wing design are what got me interested in Team Cobra initially.

I hope someone finds this post to be useful.

P.S. Regarding my knowledge of aerodynamics... I'm a long-time EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) member and former chapter vice president. I've been involved in construction and to a certain extent design of sport aircraft both in the past and currently, and am currently building an aircraft (not a model, an aircraft that I will personally fly) in my garage.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:38 PM

I need to set up some up flaps to smooth out my landings, im coming in too quick!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Ok... I'm going to offer an unbiased explanation of what is wrong with that wing design. You can choose to ignore this, or believe that I am biased because I am sponsored by Team Cobra... however, I can assure you that what I am telling you is correct.

I'm going to start with a blanket statement that the OLD Himoto wing, now produced by Team Cobra, is the most effective high downforce wing on the market. Angelo from Team Cobra was the designer of that wing. Here is why:

There is one major flaw with virtually ALL of the wings on the market, no matter if they are standard or high downforce. There is a lip on the lower surface of the leading edge. This lip disrupts the airflow over the lower side of the wing, creating turbulence, and that is simply drag, with no aerodynamic downforce.

What most people don't realize is that the LOWER side of the wing produces the most downforce if designed properly, not the upper surface.

Look at the wing of an airplane. It has a smooth curve, which accelerates the airflow, causing low pressure and creating lift. While the lower surface of the wing does create SOME lift, it is simply by the airflow meeting that surface at an angle. The low pressure area on the upper surfThis principle is what allows aircraft to fly efficiently, and has been understood by aerodynamicists for the entire history of aviation, including the Wright Brothers. It has been proven time and again throughout the history of aviation, and is simple physics. (Or, perhaps not so simple, but it IS the way it works!)

The wing on an RC car, or a full scale car, can be thought of as an upside down airplane wing. IF designed properly, the lower surface would provide more downforce than the upper surface. (That means no lip on the lower side of the front edge to disrupt the airflow.)

Now, what most wing designers have done right is that there is a slot running across the rear portion of the wing where it starts to curve more sharply upward. This re-energizes the airflow and allows it to stay attached to the curved surface. This is the same principle as slotted flaps as used on large commercial airliners, and most other aircraft as well.

This wing, while it "looks cool," has both the problem of the lip on the lower side of the front edge, and no slot to bleed air through to re-energize the airflow. It has more in common with a parachute than a wing. Sorry, just the aerodynamic facts.

Now, you may choose to think this is simply a plug for Team Cobra products, but I can assure you it is not. If you look back at the discussion of high-downforce wings, I explained this same thing... prior to even knowing anything about Team Cobra. (Signature updates posts retroactively... so it will show "Team Cobra International" in my signature.) In fact, that discussion and Angelo's off-line emails to me about the wing design are what got me interested in Team Cobra initially.

I hope someone finds this post to be useful.

P.S. Regarding my knowledge of aerodynamics... I'm a long-time EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) member and former chapter vice president. I've been involved in construction and to a certain extent design of sport aircraft both in the past and currently, and am currently building an aircraft (not a model, an aircraft that I will personally fly) in my garage.

Thanks for your time in the explanation on this matter.
I can see where you are coming from.
I will have to do some back to back tests to see if I can feel a difference.
Does Homoto still make this v2 wing?? As I got it cheap does this mean its a discontinued .
Thanks Mark..