Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HobbyPlex Roar Race Review >

HobbyPlex Roar Race Review

HobbyPlex Roar Race Review

Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default HobbyPlex Roar Race Review

I know there was grumbling when Omaha was chosen, but what did everyone think of the facility?

I wish we had a facility like this in Minnesota. I can’t wait until next season for the Hobbyplex winter races.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
I know there was grumbling when Omaha was chosen, but what did everyone think of the facility?

I wish we had a facility like this in Minnesota. I can’t wait until next season for the Hobbyplex winter races.
The facility was awesome and the track was excellent. I'd go back again for sure.

The race was run fairly well. I think ROAR needs to look into a time schedule and stick to it. While ROAR had some faults with the schedule, the drivers were pretty bad about things like turn marshalling and frequency changes. So while the schedule did drag, nobody seemed to miss a race because of something that was their own fault. I would guess that at least 10 percent of the drivers on hand should have been given a panalty for not begin at their marshalling positions at the appropriate time.

It is sad that big races and their participants are less professional than they were 10-20 years ago.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I go twice a year to race there and wouldn't miss it. Even if the track does have my number and have a jinx on me...lol. I just hope it's brought this facility to some of our other drivers that joined us and bring in a bunch of new faces for the fall race.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there any pics of the track
Old 03-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iceman76
Is there any pics of the track
http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=246679
Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Not only was it a great race, but the Hobbyplex staff was great. Alex and Tim are the best. The locals were all very nice and helpful. I will go back and race some more carpet with the plex cats.

The hobby shop was great as well, their selection is the best that I have ever seen and thier prices were awesome.

The plex is a great facility that needs to be really valued by the locals. Many of us would kill for a facility like that!

ROAR has some serious work to do when it comes to running National races.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great Facility and awesome event. Had a blast.

The only thing I'd complain about is would be the preference given to the big name drivers. While it was minimal it was noticeable from failure to ask lap traffic to allow leaders through in lower resorted qualifiers (which affected some positioning) to holding up starts for others with problems there fault or not, even to the point where I overheard one official tell the announcer to just 'drag his feet a little'.

Over all the racing staff did and excellent job. form Teching... and failing BYO motors to verifying voltages on Li-Po's and checking tires and body part #'s. I think it was much more difficult for them than last year but seemed to me it went smoother. I've already started talking the wife into letting me go next year.

Thanks to the staff and Ex-Com for all the hard work over the last few months.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Big props to the volunteer local tech crew that gave up a week of their lives to help with one of the worst jobs at any race!

Chris, TQ Tom and Cory are the best.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FroBoy
Big props to the volunteer local tech crew that gave up a week of their lives to help with one of the worst jobs at any race!

Agreed..... HUGE Thanks for you'z guys... you did an EXCELLENT JOB!

Meet me wednesday night at the track & I'll buy you a beer at Legends! (Cheers)

Oh! and Cory..! now you can drive my car...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FroBoy

Alex great meeting you and Tim...oh and brokemore too!

You guys need to make a run to Denver this summer for some 1/8th scale buggy and some rubber touring!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Nice job Alex and Tim. The track and shop are top notch.

Thanks for the laughs Beardmore. That poor hooters girl never stood a chance lol
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I haven't gone that way in a long time. It would be nice to see Chris and Lars again, maybe even wheel them with an 8th scale while getting lapped.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

I have been to the Plex to race about a half a dozen times in the last 3 years, they have by far one of the best facilities that I have ever been to. As far as the people who run the place, they are the best from Tim,
Alex, Tony, Matt and the rest of the guys in the hobby shop they are great. They are always there to help you with what ever you need. They Plex is so popular with the Colorado crew that 24 of us came to this race because of the place not just because they had Nationals.

As for my thoughts on ROAR. I think they did an great job overall. The ROAR tech guys and the Plex volunteers that were there did every thing right. They did a great job. If some thing major was not right the volunteers called the ROAR Official and he made the call. As far as the minor stuff goes the were professonal about it. As far as the schedule goes, that was one of the things that I felt needs some attention. The ROAR crew did a pretty good job for the most part, they some times got distracted by other things going on and were not ready to start the race when the drivers and marshalls were ready. Granted this only happened a few times but just those few times cost 10 mins. in the cousre of the day. Between these kinds of delays and the regular things that happen during the course of the day you end up adding an hour to the length of the day. One of the things that I had occured to me was to maybe sort after the first and third rounds, instead of just after the second round. I felt this would be a little more fair for most people. I gets the slower drivers out of the faster guys way a little bit earlier. I know in my case that I was in a heat with most of the "A" and "B" main stock 1/12th scale drivers. (just a side note I was in the "F" main after qualifing) I spent most of the first 2 rounds driving in the marbles trying to stay out of every bodies way.

These are few of the observations that I made during the race weekend.

Overall I think that given the amount of new things that were at this race, that ROAR did a really good job. I was able to see some of the best racing that I have ever had the good fortune to watch.

The other thing that I noticed that the factory teams were really good about talking to the regular racers and anwsering questions and helping guys with setup info. I know that Steve Weis(sp) should be commended on how he handled himself. I was pitted in the same row as Steve and he was allways ready to help some out with what ever they needed even if it was not a Novak product.

I don't know about every body else but I will be back the last week in October for the fall race.

See every body there.

Lee Schultz
CORRC
Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
Nice job Alex and Tim. The track and shop are top notch.

Thanks for the laughs Beardmore. That poor hooters girl never stood a chance lol
I did have a great angle until she looked up..... (BUSTED)
Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

awesome facility and a great race I had a blast even though I had some tough luck racing.

BTW to whoever stepped in front of my 12th scale while I was leading the 19 turn 12th B main on the straight and shattered my car I hope your foot is ok... I was a little PO'd at first but hey stuff happens. and it was just the b main LOL no hard feelings

Hey Todd... this is Michael Skeen sat across from you all week... what kinda deal can you make me on an sti or a new camaro when they hit the streets maybe I could pick up my car and race with you the same week at the plex... LOL

you kept us entertained all week and listened to us complain your'e an ok guy no matter what everyone else said about you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.