Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-T cr Tranny Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default XXX-T cr Tranny Issue.

I have a boneheaded question. I haven't built a kit in about 8 years and recently bought a XXX-T cr to build.

The truck ran o.k. for about 5 minutes when the following behavior started:
The spur gear would turn but the tranny wouldn't turn the tires ( or would turn them very little ).

I was going to sit down and re-check the slipper and diff adjustments when I get off work but figured you guys might be able to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anomaly
I have a boneheaded question. I haven't built a kit in about 8 years and recently bought a XXX-T cr to build.

The truck ran o.k. for about 5 minutes when the following behavior started:
The spur gear would turn but the tranny wouldn't turn the tires ( or would turn them very little ).

I was going to sit down and re-check the slipper and diff adjustments when I get off work but figured you guys might be able to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
i think u have answerd your own q. check the slipper check diff if not that ohh boy
Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default XXX-T Cr Hatin' on Me

Yeah, just good to have some reassurance I'm on the right track.
One thing I found odd was that the top shaft threads where the slipper goes, actually backs out of the top shaft when I try to adjust the slipper, as opposed to the nut turning. Can't seem to get it to stay in the shaft assembly, actually.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

You need to locktite the long set screw in the top shaft. It will back out sometimes. The locknut hold well but if the adjusting screw loosens it is the same thing as the nut loosening.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by plumslow
You need to locktite the long set screw in the top shaft. It will back out sometimes. The locknut hold well but if the adjusting screw loosens it is the same thing as the nut loosening.
wow did not get to see a cr yet thats a little weird sounds like plumslow knows whats up
Old 03-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

The last losi kit I had was a XX, before that a Pro/Se -- So when I saw the screw start backing out I was wondered" hmm.. that seems odd, wonder if this is losi's newfangled answer to slipper adjustment" -- THen emailed them
<paraphrased>
"Hey, I'd like to put some locktight in the top shaft screw, will that jack anything up or cause the universe to implode?"</paraphrased>

But they never replied. In my imagination there's 4 guys reading emails at Losi saying "Damn this guy needs to go to Toys R Us and get a Nikkon if he can't figure that out"
Old 03-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

The threaded stud used to come separate from the shaft. The manual instructed you to use thread lock when assembing, which I believe ya got a small tube of. Can't remember for sure, but I thought that was how the XX came. But perhaps it was the XX retrofit tranny for the original JR chassis models that cam out before the full XX kit.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the tip! It definitely didn't come with any locktite or I'd have double-checked the assembly instructions "what the heck is this for?", my kit didn't even include diff lube

It is now locktite applied so with any luck the problem will be resolved when I bolt it all back together.
thanks again for the help everybody,

Bill