Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Tanks Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Angry Losi Tanks Cracking

Anybody else having problems with losi tanks cracking at the seam? The week before last my son and I were at the Nitro Pit for practice with the Losi 8, we went through 2 tanks that cracked at the seam. We also pick up a Truggy this week, and just got back from the Nitro Pit. I replaced the Buggy's tank, and we were just warming up the motor on the track, and we might have ran 3 laps and I check the head temp and saw fuel every where. Another cracked tank at the seam, I had a new spare, and threw the old one over the fence, and tried it again, this time we only got a half a tank, when I saw something dripping when he was in the air, yep another junk tank. OK now lets try the Truggy, this time we got about 4 tankful for parctice, and again there was fuel every where. We replaced the tank with another new one, yes we buy alot of them now. and we made it through 2 qualify rounds and got 2nd. But too bad cause the tank was cracked again, and we couldn't even make the main. There were 4-5 other guys at the track that had to pull out due to the tanks cracking, the tanks are all cracking at the seam. Now I do know that things break, but we went through 4 tanks today, and didn' t even make the main, this sucks, and I'm ready to get rid of the Losi, has any body else ran into this, I personally think the LHS has a batch of bad tanks from Losi, and I'd like to talk to a Losi rep:
Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mine lost pressure, couldn't see a crack, but I guessed their was, got a new one and my pressure was fine.

put another O ring under the screw to flot it better!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

interesting things about tanks...

I am on my second or third tank. One time I just wanted to replace the cap, but where the nipple threads in was cracked. Defective right out of the package. Other then that my tanks seem to hold pressure fairly well, and I have messed with the seal adjustment in the cap too. So its all good for now.

My friend races an 8B and hes gone through a couple of tanks, and so has his dad in his 8T. 2 of them had a problem with the fuel filter clunk getting clogged.

About your issue having several tanks fail all after each other.. all I can say is that I think you have to be doing something wrong. That just doesn't make sense.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

i had a himoto gas tank that worked fine, then i let the buggy sit for about 4 months, and all of a sudden its not airtight anymore the o ring around the cap is shot.

i ordered a new mugen mbx5 tank and hope it fits on the junk himoto.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akiyama77
Anybody else having problems with losi tanks cracking at the seam? The week before last my son and I were at the Nitro Pit for practice with the Losi 8, we went through 2 tanks that cracked at the seam. We also pick up a Truggy this week, and just got back from the Nitro Pit. I replaced the Buggy's tank, and we were just warming up the motor on the track, and we might have ran 3 laps and I check the head temp and saw fuel every where. Another cracked tank at the seam, I had a new spare, and threw the old one over the fence, and tried it again, this time we only got a half a tank, when I saw something dripping when he was in the air, yep another junk tank. OK now lets try the Truggy, this time we got about 4 tankful for parctice, and again there was fuel every where. We replaced the tank with another new one, yes we buy alot of them now. and we made it through 2 qualify rounds and got 2nd. But too bad cause the tank was cracked again, and we couldn't even make the main. There were 4-5 other guys at the track that had to pull out due to the tanks cracking, the tanks are all cracking at the seam. Now I do know that things break, but we went through 4 tanks today, and didn' t even make the main, this sucks, and I'm ready to get rid of the Losi, has any body else ran into this, I personally think the LHS has a batch of bad tanks from Losi, and I'd like to talk to a Losi rep:
I would have to ask how is the weather there where you live? If it's cold then I would say thats your problem, if not I would put an O ring or 2 under each tank mount like xlgraphicspro said. I broke my LST2 tank because the pickup at the bottom was slapping the chassis on hard landings. I know the 8 and 8t don't have this, but I put a couple of O rings under the tank mount and never broke another tank.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
I would have to ask how is the weather there where you live? If it's cold then I would say thats your problem, if not I would put an O ring or 2 under each tank mount like xlgraphicspro said. I broke my LST2 tank because the pickup at the bottom was slapping the chassis on hard landings. I know the 8 and 8t don't have this, but I put a couple of O rings under the tank mount and never broke another tank.
just some helpful advice: i dont know about you guys, but i dont have extra o rings laying all over.

i imagine if you cut up an old tire or even if you have an extra inch or fuel line laying around that should work.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
just some helpful advice: i dont know about you guys, but i dont have extra o rings laying all over.

i imagine if you cut up an old tire or even if you have an extra inch or fuel line laying around that should work.
O rings are real easy to find and even if you can find them you can use rubber servo spacers and all kinds of stuff as long as it absorbs shock.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

ok on the Losi tanks, make sure that you do not tighten the screws down all of the way. Take the mount screw in about 80-85%. This will allow the tank to flex with the chassis. Bascially the problem with the 8 is that the car flexes so much that it will break most anything that is tightened all the way down.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have never had a problem in my buggy for the last year, I had a clutch bearing blow apart and the bell went into the tank. It dug a hole almost threw the tank but didnt and didn't have another one and I raced my main with it like that and it was sealed then picked up another and no problems, it does sound like u had a problem with maybe a bad batch I would call Horizon I bet they would send a couple out to u free, they have always taken care of me
Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nik
interesting things about tanks...

I am on my second or third tank. One time I just wanted to replace the cap, but where the nipple threads in was cracked. Defective right out of the package. Other then that my tanks seem to hold pressure fairly well, and I have messed with the seal adjustment in the cap too. So its all good for now.

My friend races an 8B and hes gone through a couple of tanks, and so has his dad in his 8T. 2 of them had a problem with the fuel filter clunk getting clogged.

About your issue having several tanks fail all after each other.. all I can say is that I think you have to be doing something wrong. That just doesn't make sense.

Nik,

I thought the fuel filter was the problem again last Saturday night, but when we got home, I found that James motor wasn't getting fuel because the clunk had been jammed into the front of the tank and crimped the fuel line when he hit the guy stopped on the straight-a-way. Live and learn!

Jeff
Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default cracked tanks

To answer some of the questions, the weather was low to mid 80's, nice weather, I took 4 brand new tanks still in the package 2 for the buggy and 2 for the truggy, on both of them I did not smach the rubber gromets too tight, and both have the chassis braces and steering brace. The weirdest thing is the truggy tank cap was leaking, so I just replaced it with the new one, that one cracked and so did the second one crack. On the buggy both were fresh out of the package, Like I said there were I think 6 other guys out there with newer tanks that also cracked. I didn't stay for the main, but there were suppose to 12 minus me, I found out only 7 made the call, cause they had cracked tanks. I probably should have pick my cracked ones back up, I was soo pissed I threw them behind the outhouse. Losi hasn't responded to me yet. I'm taking one tank to my buddies shop, he welds plastics, he'll weld it properly for me, and I'm buying another new one to take to my other buddy has a machine shop, and he's gonna CNC one for me and weld it together for me, so I should be coverd for this weekend. I may be extreme but it just sucks to be running into this crap
Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)
Thumbs down

threw the old one over the fence
I was soo pissed I threw them behind the outhouse
Sounds like KARMA kicking your ass for being a litterbug!!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dubum
Sounds like KARMA kicking your ass for being a litterbug!!
LMFAO!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

don't mess with the KARMA....its a powerful thing
Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

My losi goes through tanks a lot they crack right on the outside seem piss poor design and its not karma for me i don't through anything on the ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.