Wiki Posts
Search

Gearing / 19t Mod motor TC3 Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Gearing / 19t Mod motor TC3 Question

Hi all...

I have an electric TC3, with the stock spur gear and [right now] a 21 tooth pinion gear.

Currently I am running an EPIC 19t Outlaw Pro mod motor, and the motor was running about 150 degrees [temp taken with Raytek MT4 temp gun] last night. Is this too hot for an electric motor, and if so, what is the "proper" temperature an electric motor should get to in doing mostly high-speed runs and some slalom / road course running?
Old 07-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

If you are not racing your car on a really small tight track, you shold gear up to say a 27 tooth pinion first of all. Your top speed will really go up. 150 is actually pretty good. Upwards of 180 is when you should start to worry. If you get that hot, you'll need a gear change, or just don'r run a whole 3300....
Old 07-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

You know, that would explain why a 27t P2k Pro was catching up to me...

I'd also be willing to bet that the reason my motor is getting up to 150 is because the gearing is too low.

Tonight I got a Novak SS Brushless setup for my TC3, so the EPIC is going into my T3... what Final Drive Ratios should I be looking for for decent acceleration on asphalt and short grass [not much dirt] as well as decent top end [for jumping]?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Tech Rookie

I just got a P2k2 Pro motor for my new TC3. I messed around in a parking lot (alot of stop and go, slow and fast) running a 26 tooth. After one pack, the motor was so hot I couldn't even touch it (or the heatsinks) for a split second. It was REALLY hot. I dropped to a 25, and it didn't help much. I went to SoCal today (a fairly tight track), and ran a 24. The motor wasn't quite as hot, but still too hot too touch for more than a second without burning my finger. This was while running at half throttle (I'm a newbie, and can barely stay on the track even at half throttle) I dropped to a 22.

Two Questions...

How hot is too hot? What gear should I be running for that motor at SoCal? (any regulars here?)

Second, and this has nothing to do with gearing, but I was wondering how long it should take before I can at least keep it on the track most of the time? The thing feels real twitchy and is very difficult to steer. I've only driven a few battery packs, so I know I need more practice before getting comfortable, but this is REALLY hard. I'm running stock setup, with around a degree of neg front toe. I've tried adjusting the exponential on the radio, but that didn't help much. (its an MX-3 radio with the cheapy stock servo that came with it). I'm only going a third to half throttle or so, and I can't even stay on the track half the time. I'm going to be there 2 or 3 more times in the next week practicing, so I hope to have a little more control after that. And to all SoCaler's, Sorry in advance for gettin in your way Hopefully I won't cause too many pileups...

Should it be this hard? How long did it take some of you to at least feel comfortable with keeping it on the track most of the time?

I know... I need to practice, practice, practice...

Thanks

-David
Old 07-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, I know nothing of your setup, track conditions, etc., but will offer some simple advice that has helped me immensly.

Since you're going to be racing, here's what you do:

1. Get a set of cones. Cheap orange cones work great, or you can get the more expensive "dot" type [low to the ground, can drive over them w/out moving them]

2. Set up the cones or dots in an oval of about 10 feet across by 25-35 feet long

3. Start out driving one way around the oval untill you aren't hitting the cones at all, and then switch driving directions and go around the other way untill you aren't hitting the cones again.

4. Now you can set up a road course and practice. It helps to practice all by yourself so you can get to know your car without the interference of other drivers. Once you really know your car and how to drive it, take it back to your local track.

These simple steps helped me out. I've set up the cones in a road course manor as well as the ovals, and my driving skills improved greatly. I was even getting compliments on my driving skills and how I'm taking my turns.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks DraKhen99,

I figured I would need to do something like that. I did do some running around in a lot, but without a course or specific areas I need to go, it didn't help much. Would a hardware store carry little cones? I guess I could use anything that is visible and not too hard/heavy...

-David
Old 07-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

The ones Sports Authority sells should be good, the ones for football. They are only 6 or 8 inches tall, and are bright orange. My friend picked up some at Wal-Mart which are about 3 inches tall in the center and are more "dot" shaped than cone shaped. They work well, other than driving over them causes them to move allot.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks.

Can anyone chime in on the Motor/gearing question? How hot is too hot?

-David
Old 08-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

150 is what I try 2 stay around.