Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I got 208 off a pot of boiling water.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cheesecake
put a cookie sheet in the oven at 300 degreese leave it there for a hout then check the temp of it
But how do you know that the oven is accurate?

It's hard to check the accuracy of a temp gun, but most of the bigger brands are fairly close to spot on!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At atmospheric pressure, water boils at 212F or 100C depending on how your temp gun is configured. It can't go any higher, it becomes steam. That's what the "boiling" action is - water becoming steam. So, an open pot of boiling water is a very good indicator of the accuracy of your temp gun. Shoot it ten times and average the results. It should be within a few degrees of 212 either way.

The only way to vary the temp at which water boils is to confine it and vary the pressure at which you have it confined.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

all these suggestions are great, but not very accurate. I'm tell'n you, and your not gonna like it! but wait and test it at the track. or you can pour some hot water out of the tap into a bowl, put a thermometer in it and then you can compare temps that way!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

I temp gun can only be about 5 degree's off at the most come on if your tuning your engine and that much makes a difference than you need to re evaluate your engine tuning.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Talking

Most if not all IR temp guns have a +/- 5% or +/- 5 °F. The boiling water is the best way to check it. Like the post a few back water boils and turns to steam at 212 °F or 100 °C. The surface temp of the boiling water should read 212 °F +/- 5%. Then take a glass of ice water and do the same. Let the ice sit in the glass for a few minutes and then shoot the water surface temp it should be 32-35 °F +/- 5%. If you are still unsure send it to me and I will check it againg my FLIR Thermal Imager for accuracy.

Remember the temp thing is for a base guide line! If you run your buggy/truggy/etc. to the end of the straight and around a few more corners before you temp it, it will cool and temp lower. Shoot the temp immediately after a hard run. Use it as a baseline with the same temp gun and all should work out.

Certified FLIR Level I Thermographer

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO CHECK A TEMP GUN  ?-ir_0558.jpg  
Old 03-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When you about to fart hold it to your butt it should read STINKY
Old 03-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Rookie

All this kind of makes sense until you take into account the emissivity setting for the temp gun - my manual states different levels depending on the surface i.e. plain aluminium or annodised etc. I wonder what the setting is for water?

Ciao,

M.

P.S. You test this thing with farts? Batter make sure there are no naked flames about
Old 03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have to bask my new equipment in my ambiance.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

emissivity of water ranges from 0.94 to 0.99
Old 03-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I check my temp guns against an Actual head and button ill be temping....throw it in the oven at varieying temps....200, 250, 275, 300,325..and so on....basically giving the head/button time to reach the temp then quickly pulling it from the oven and checking...ive had different results with differnt temp guns...but IF u have an emmisivity setting u can Dial the gun Right into the head/button ull be temping.....ive done it this way for a couple years now and when i Do check it in comparison to say a Exergen or a PRICY gun at the track...there ushally within 10-15 degree's....and like JustinD said...if ur relying on ur temp gun THAT much...u really do need to re-evaluate ur tuning issues....as Temp isnt EVERYTHING when it comes to a tune.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah!! Temp is a gideline, but the most important thing is how the motor acts and sounds. This seems hard, if you're not lucky enough to have an expert explain exactly what the different settings do. Then it's cristal clear!! (In my case, at least for the next 2 minutes!! doooh!!)

Example: I was fussing (almost fusing) at the track the other day, and this guy (wich is kind of a smart-allec, but is really good, so we forgive him) comes up and just driving the car back and forth in the parking lot for 2 minutes and adjusting here and there, he set my motor perfect.

It was so perfect, that when he was done, he measured it once with my termometer and told me: "with your termometer it will be arround 95ºC at the end of the 5 min classifiers and arround 105-110ºC in the 15 min subfinals.

Do you know what the temperatures where?? 95ºC and 107ºC!!!! 'Nough said!!