Search

Choosing a Big Bore Shock

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Choosing a Big Bore Shock

Hello,

I am very curious about all the different shocks out there now, and was wondering if you could put on the shock of your choice on a vehicle, and it mounts up and travels fine, which shock set out there right now is the one you would choose and why?

Also, as far as Big Bore larger shock setups go, at what point do we say its finally big enough? I mean, are we headed for LST style shocks??
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Hello,

I am very curious about all the different shocks out there now, and was wondering if you could put on the shock of your choice on a vehicle, and it mounts up and travels fine, which shock set out there right now is the one you would choose and why?

Also, as far as Big Bore larger shock setups go, at what point do we say its finally big enough? I mean, are we headed for LST style shocks??
I agree, going to big seems to be over kill, 16mm seems to be the standard right now, i run BB on my caster buggy and there is a diiffrence compared to stock, they help put the car IN the track it seems. Travel is increased front and rear, they have less pack, but still have the "Pack" at the right spot because of the volume. For me they are the most stable on rough tracks, the shocks are doing all the work compared to standard size packing to hard and kicking up the chassis, and the rebound travel speed is increased which is keeping the tires on the ground and a more controlled feel on rought track situations, I have talked to a few guys that build shocks for nascar teams and they have said these RC car shocks suck for the simple fact that we cant controll one speed motion compared to the other, fast stroke and slow rebound and vise versa, big cars dive hard in the corners but the rebound is controlled by valves and fluid in the shock, and a slower rebound keeps the nose in the track providing more down force, we have no way to controll up and down speeds other than using thicker or lighter shock oils, but the effect is the same both ways. But still the BB seem to have the advantage over some standard size shocks and i like em, i run Jammin BB, Caster Racing is also in the process of making there own BB 16mm they sould be out soon.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

What oil/spring/piston combo are you running on your Jammin BB's?

I have tried them on my Mugen, and was not really happy with them.

Was most likely not set-up very well though..... I found they did not have enough pack, and where far to "springy" for lack of a better word.

Thanks in advance
Sean.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Anyone know the common sizes for the various big bore shocks out there for 1/8 scale buggy? Say, from these manufacturers:

Mugen
OCM
Kyosho
Losi
CEN
Associated
Jammin
Ofna

Right now I have the standard MBX5 Shocks, not the MBX5R, so curious if I will notice a difference going to a big bore setup, even one NOT mugen.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

OCM=17mm from what I hear.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cain even the 5R shocks are a big step up from the X5 although you need the 5R shock towers to run them. I found the X5 shocks work well when new but as the bodies wear due to no hardcoat the car gets worse and worse. The 5R shocks are hardcoated and teflon coated like the Kyoshos which is nice. I suspect the Kyosho big bores would fit a Mugen with the old X5 shock towers. The Jammins might also work.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by savagebeing
What oil/spring/piston combo are you running on your Jammin BB's?

I have tried them on my Mugen, and was not really happy with them.

Was most likely not set-up very well though..... I found they did not have enough pack, and where far to "springy" for lack of a better word.

Thanks in advance
Sean.

Hey Brian

Any change you could tell me the set-up you are running with your Big Bore shocks?

Thanks again
Sean
Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mugenb46
I have talked to a few guys that build shocks for nascar teams and they have said these RC car shocks suck for the simple fact that we cant controll one speed motion compared to the other, fast stroke and slow rebound and vise versa, big cars dive hard in the corners but the rebound is controlled by valves and fluid in the shock, and a slower rebound keeps the nose in the track providing more down force, we have no way to controll up and down speeds other than using thicker or lighter shock oils, but the effect is the same both ways.
]In fact that isn't completely true. There are some shock pistons (X Ray XB8, I think) that have cone-shaped holes, so depending of you instal them one way or the other, they compress faster and rebound slower or viceversa....http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...=620&setup=xb8

Still, this seems like a very difficult setup option to decide and also to feel in the car that small difference
Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

have to look for the link but i have seen dual stage shock pistons that have different valving for bound and rebound rates.
I do know RPM has for the trucks but i saw ones for buggy applications a while back.
Ill check and post if i find them.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Fioroni Dual stage shocks
http://www.fioroni.com/inglese/prodo...ta&cerca=shock
Old 03-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run the Jammin' "Ginormous" Bores on my Hyper 8.5 to great effect.

Those shocks are like 'Buttah' on rough, rutted, blown-out, and nuked track surfaces... Great for downsiding jumps as well. Gets settled faster.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default hellfire pistons

My friend has a hellfire and it comes with the pistons you are talking about. 1.4 and 1.6 standard and 1.4 and 1.6 mm that are tapered in a cone shape. Don't know if these will fit in other shocks but just so you know.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

New Jammin 16mm big bores rock!
I am using the "stock set-up" direct from the Jammin site...

Buggy shock setups...
Spring...........silver/chrome front and rear
Shock end.....short front, long rear (screwed all the way in, but adjusted so left and right sides are equal)
Piston........1.4mm 6 hole
Losi Oil.... Outside temp 95+ ( 45 front, 35 rear) Temp 80-90 (40 front, 30 rear) Temp 60-70 (37.5 or 35 front, 27.5 or 25 rear)

Truggy (CRT) shock setups...
Spring...............Blue front and rear
Shock end.........short front, long rear (screwed all the way in, but adjusted so left and right shocks are equal lengths)
Piston...............1.4mm 6 hole
Losi Oil 50wt front, 40 rear during the day 45wt front, 35 rear if its cooler
Old 03-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thecman26
New Jammin 16mm big bores rock!
I am using the "stock set-up" direct from the Jammin site...

Buggy shock setups...
Spring...........silver/chrome front and rear
Shock end.....short front, long rear (screwed all the way in, but adjusted so left and right sides are equal)
Piston........1.4mm 6 hole
Losi Oil.... Outside temp 95+ ( 45 front, 35 rear) Temp 80-90 (40 front, 30 rear) Temp 60-70 (37.5 or 35 front, 27.5 or 25 rear)

Truggy (CRT) shock setups...
Spring...............Blue front and rear
Shock end.........short front, long rear (screwed all the way in, but adjusted so left and right shocks are equal lengths)
Piston...............1.4mm 6 hole
Losi Oil 50wt front, 40 rear during the day 45wt front, 35 rear if its cooler

dddaammmnnnn, thats hardcore, theres no way id ever adjust my shock oil to the temp outside... i dont even adjust my engine when the temp changes, havnt really had the chance to.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I GOT A MBX5 AND JUS BOUGHT SOME OFNA 16MM BIG BORE SHOCKS...WILL THEY WORK ON MY BUGGY?
THANKS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.