Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Pro-D

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pole_position
It is certainly an interesting car. The pro-D is lipo and brushless ready to balance up the car. More interesting is the the drive train layout, probably to kill off the torque steer found in many shaft drive chassis.

Let' keep a close look-out from HB if any SD TC spec is in the pipeline

That motor/drivetrainlayout doesn't kill torque steer, it just helps to balance out the car.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

This car will look good wherever its being raced. An uncommon design in chassis makes it give a bold statement.... "bring it on" HPI....
Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think Efficiency with the chassis might be an issue, since there are so many transfer spots. However, seeing as this is designed for drift, the slight inefficiencies would be trivial compared to the benefits of the weight distribution, as some have already mentioned.

Those shafts look relatively light, and I don't think they'll really affect the car much in terms of performance irregularities such as torque steer.

Plus I am not familiar really with torque steer in scale cars... I mean this term is from the real scale when a car has unequal shaft lengths running laterally (left and right) that feed power to the wheels. The force will be more direct to one side, and therefore will create that pull.

I feel like the term is used loosely due to the centrifugal force of something else, not unbalance. Modern shaft drive touring cars are perfectly symmetrical (I recall some cars with the shafts running down one side).

Is this phenomena in the touring car world created by the spinning motor? If so, the position of the motor might minimize the effect.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef
I think Efficiency with the chassis might be an issue, since there are so many transfer spots. However, seeing as this is designed for drift, the slight inefficiencies would be trivial compared to the benefits of the weight distribution, as some have already mentioned.

Those shafts look relatively light, and I don't think they'll really affect the car much in terms of performance irregularities such as torque steer.

Plus I am not familiar really with torque steer in scale cars... I mean this term is from the real scale when a car has unequal shaft lengths running laterally (left and right) that feed power to the wheels. The force will be more direct to one side, and therefore will create that pull.

I feel like the term is used loosely due to the centrifugal force of something else, not unbalance. Modern shaft drive touring cars are perfectly symmetrical (I recall some cars with the shafts running down one side).

Is this phenomena in the touring car world created by the spinning motor? If so, the position of the motor might minimize the effect.
i had torque steer on my E10 because the chassis flexes so much! it worked fine with a 21t silver can, i put in a 19t motor and it twisted and torque steered.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

nice
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

why so defensive? do you have a small wee wee? have you even tried grip racing?

Originally Posted by BLACK_ICE_DRIFT
its manly coz thay dont no how to u need alot more skill to drift than to drive arond and round a track as quick as poserble. drifting is about contole not who has the fastest car and knows how to use it.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I love racing just as much as anyone but I have to admit the drifting is on a whole other level skill wise. For me at least it was much harder even though I tried it on a full scale car. Maybe its a bit easier in RC I imagine the throttle would be a little easier This chassis looks great though would love to see the Pro5 coming out of something like this.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That definately looks like the drivetrain out of the Hot Bodies D4 Sport, and the same electronics layout basically, too. Definately a neat looking car. Haven't seen much of anything besides the standard TRF415 style layout in so long, its weird now, lol.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Tech Rookie

I am wondering HPI Pro-D still selling on market??
Old 11-21-2008, 04:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Leader
I am wondering HPI Pro-D still selling on market??
yes some parts clear sale !
http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?cPath=51_98_118_203
Old 12-05-2008, 03:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Let me start by saying, that i am of a different breed to most likely all of you, being that i am a drifter, not a racer - if we were all racers - it'd be kinda boring dontcha think?? =) Please don't take offence to anything i say, text is kinda hard to get things across nicely sometimes, and i aint the best at putting words together -lol-

I think you guys are a bit confused as to what this car actually is... It's a DRIFT car - made for DRIFTING - it has nothing to do with racing, and the whole dynamics are quite different to each other....

I must say - that before i started writing this - i was probably on the fence you guys are sitting on right now... racing is damn tech - i know this... drifting is for fun and games - no real setup needed etc etc etc... and you fellas are probably thinking - "ahhh... it's just a few fellas playin round sliding their cars blah blah" (Us drifters could say the same for you lot! clearly we dont -lol-)

But the more i think about it - the more i realise that drifting is pretty tech in itself too... probably not AS tech as you fellas in grip racing, but a well setup car really will make the difference...

HPI Japan have stepped out on a limb here, and have really given it some thought... it's a whole new car really, and has clearly been designed for drifting - not like Yokomo, who have basically just slapped a drift sticker on the box of a grip chassis -lol- (Don't get me wrong - i have the LCG kit, and it's a bloody good kit! hehehe)

IMO - HPI has gone more into the 'fun' side of things, and has sent all the race engineers over to HB - don't expect a pro5 to come of this, look to HB for that IMO - The Pro-D is a completely new design for a completely new sport in RC, and it's growing rather rapidly, weather u like it or not - but dont be upset - HB is still there for you guys!!

oh - and btw - i am keen to get my hands on my own Pro-D on the 14th of December... i recently won the RC Drift series locally here, and will be receiving the chassis as my prize, along with sponsorship hehehe So i will be able to actually let you know how it drives etc - just not with rubbers on it -lol-
Old 12-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by danhfvcsd
Let me start by saying, that i am of a different breed to most likely all of you, being that i am a drifter, not a racer - if we were all racers - it'd be kinda boring dontcha think?? =) Please don't take offence to anything i say, text is kinda hard to get things across nicely sometimes, and i aint the best at putting words together -lol-

I think you guys are a bit confused as to what this car actually is... It's a DRIFT car - made for DRIFTING - it has nothing to do with racing, and the whole dynamics are quite different to each other....
Well, I can say that I'm both...I race grip and I've experienced 1:10 drifting over the past 2 years. Both are fun ,and both serve purpose, but I do prefer grip racing simply because its not a judged result. To be honest I really don't see this car as nothing but a way to $$$ hook one into "thinking they have a the prolific 1:10 drift machine. You can make any 4wd belt or shaft driven chassis into a highly competitive Drifting machine. lol..ANY 4wd belt or shaft driven chassis can be made for drifting with the simple change of tires, maybe some dabbling with the suspension and lots of practice. I'm sure that will be noted after this car will seem to drift no better than a normal HPI sprint 2 or Yokomo.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

I Have had my Pro D for a wile now and I can say it is a very nice chassis. I also have a TC4 and a Tam Evo IV both nice cars as well. The Pro D is a very well thought out chassis and performs right out of the box. For the price they should have included the two upgrades that are currently avilable, the upper brace and the front oneway diff, but should have also made the hubs and arms in Aluminum as well. It would have put a verry nice finishing touch on the chassis. hers a cheezy vid I made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMpjtoEZMlE
Old 12-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

well - i finished my build the other day, if anyone is interested i have done a step by step build thread here if anyone is interested in checking it out closer... be warned - there are something like 70, 640x480 pictures on the first page! -lol-

Yet to drive it tho, and have done a couple lil things different - some because i wanted to and others cos i HAD to -lol-

hopeully it helps someone in some way - took me ages to do - spose i wasn't doing anything else tho -lol-

cheers
Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by danhfvcsd
well - i finished my build the other day, if anyone is interested i have done a step by step build thread here if anyone is interested in checking it out closer... be warned - there are something like 70, 640x480 pictures on the first page! -lol-

Yet to drive it tho, and have done a couple lil things different - some because i wanted to and others cos i HAD to -lol-

hopeully it helps someone in some way - took me ages to do - spose i wasn't doing anything else tho -lol-

cheers
Ha Ha, I did the same thing over at GD. How do you like the Mamba Max? I didn't care for it much I went with the Slyder 7.5.

Last edited by RC nut; 12-21-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: content

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.