Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
***Brushless 1/8 onroad video*** >

***Brushless 1/8 onroad video***

***Brushless 1/8 onroad video***

Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default ***Brushless 1/8 onroad video***

HERE is a quick video of my Serpent 950 1/8 onroad. I have converted it from being nitro powered to electric powered. This short video was the cars second shakedown run. I will put up some more video and pics over the next couple of weeks. If you want to follow my real thread click HERE.

Cheers Andrew
Old 02-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Andrew is that clicking sound the 2-speed changing??
Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Andrew is that clicking sound the 2-speed changing??
You got it!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Is that thing faster the a nitro 1/8. It looks really fast and it looks like instant power. Really cool!!!!!!!!

DJ Apolaro
Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thats awesome!! Are you going to Brendale this saturday night? I want too see it run
Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Is that thing faster the a nitro 1/8. It looks really fast and it looks like instant power. Really cool!!!!!!!!
DJ Apolaro
DJ, I wouldn't say it is faster, it's just that the power is different. Electric motors tend to have lots and lots of torque = low down grunt (very strong out of the corners). I have tried my best to limit the power output of this setup to be roughly on par with a fast .21 . I plan to race it against other 1/8th cars very soon. Keep an eye on my real thread HERE if you want to keep up with the progress.
Thanks for your interest.

Originally Posted by Ryan41
Thats awesome!! Are you going to Brendale this saturday night? I want too see it run
Ryan, I'm not sure if I will race it this weekend. I need to send my speed control back to the manufacturer to have the latest firmware put on it (after they do this I can download the latest updates and instal via USB). It will mean I have to wait roughly 2 weeks before I have it back.
Once I get it back it's on .
Old 02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

That's cool!!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Theres another threadd where someone converted a mrx4 to brushless.

Call me a hater but I dont see the atraction in this, sure its cool that it can be done. But...

If someone told me that in the future 1/8th onroad is only going to be brushless, when the time came I would just quit. I like the class because of the fact that theres a noisy, hard to tune screeming .21 straped to the back of the car, and the fact that I can race for an unlimited amount of time just by refueling the car. Electric has never done it for me, and electric onroad is more boring than off road.

Brushless 1/8th onroad(or anything electric) doesnt get me exited about racing every sunday.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Theres another threadd where someone converted a mrx4 to brushless.

Call me a hater but I dont see the atraction in this, sure its cool that it can be done. But...

If someone told me that in the future 1/8th onroad is only going to be brushless, when the time came I would just quit. I like the class because of the fact that theres a noisy, hard to tune screeming .21 straped to the back of the car, and the fact that I can race for an unlimited amount of time just by refueling the car. Electric has never done it for me, and electric onroad is more boring than off road.

Brushless 1/8th onroad(or anything electric) doesnt get me exited about racing every sunday.

Just my opinion.

Hater!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Tech Addict

Added some photos under the hood HERE.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

That thing just looks rippin" fast. When that thing hits second it's like gone! I would like to see this class grow too. Not necessarily as a replacement for nitro, but as another viable class. I know Dennis is working on one of these too, and he's looking to get 20mins runtime on a pack. The motor he's strapping into looks to be abit bigger than others I have seen, and the speed controller doesn't look like it will thermal no matter how hard you push it. It will be interesting to see how this class develops.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Hater! j/k

While I don't see Brushless necessarily replacing nitro, I do see this as a great way to attract new drivers to 1/8th, while minimizing cost...

This might be a perfect way to bridge the gap between electric and nitro racers. I believe it might actually attract more electric racers to try the nitro cars if nitro motor tuning/cost was eliminated from the equation.

However, with my racing electric in the winter and gas 1/8th in the summer..

I see the following "pro's" to the idea.
1. Less Maintenance - No oil from the exhaust - less dirt sticking to the car
2. No needle tuning - just plug and play power
3. No pipe turning - or pipe dents
4. No glow plugs or shims to tune based on weather
5. No fuel mileage issues that lean out and kill the motor
6. Cost - the Nitro .21's average $500 and for that, a brushless with lipo will last longer than 1 season. (no air filters, no fuel, no glow plugs, no pipes, no pipe gaskets or springs)
7. Potentially more drivers on a Sunday afternoon - more race fees collected more competition created.

I see the following "con's" to the idea.
1. Ahh... the smell of nitro in the morning!
2. The gratification of the related sound of pulling the trigger, and the exhaust note pitch..
Old 02-25-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

Ray,

Any links to "Dennis's" project? I just like to see what others are doing.

Originally Posted by RayJ
That thing just looks rippin" fast. When that thing hits second it's like gone! I would like to see this class grow too. Not necessarily as a replacement for nitro, but as another viable class. I know Dennis is working on one of these too, and he's looking to get 20mins runtime on a pack. The motor he's strapping into looks to be abit bigger than others I have seen, and the speed controller doesn't look like it will thermal no matter how hard you push it. It will be interesting to see how this class develops.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

I was a hater, until I drove Rick Yoders electric mrx4 and it was just like the nitro version, only single speed for now, it had enough grunt for a 200+ straight. It will most likely be a future class.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by Motorman; 02-27-2008 at 07:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.