Search
Like Tree13Likes

pro3

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: More suspension tweaking ?'s

Originally posted by DJ_GenR8
Can anyone explain a few things to me.......

First, what does it do to the car when you adjust the camber link settings (i.e, top or bottom holes on hub carriers and shock towers)

This adjusts the roll centre. The greater the difference in angle between the wishbone and the upper link, the higher the roll centre. A high roll centre will give the car a little less overall grip in corners, but make it feel a little more responsive (that's because the higher the roll centre, the less the car is likely to roll in the corners). In my limited experiment with roll centre on my pro3 on carpet, I found that a higher roll centre in the back seemed to make the car feel a bit smoother and more progressive in the way the tail slid out, while a higher roll centre in front seemed to make the steering a bit smoother, but duller overall.

My second question is about castor. What will more or less give me? I'm using the stock 8 degree up front and the zero's in back. What will the new 3 and 4 degree blocks give me?

Less castor will give you more off power steering, more will give you more on-power steering. I've used the 3deg blocks myself on both carpet and slippy floor with some success - they do seem to add a lot of steering, although I have been having a little power-on understeer that I can't quite dial out. Overall the car does feel quicker through the corners though. I reccommend you try the kit 6degs and see if they are an improvement before going for either the 3 or 4's. Castor has no effect on the rear of the car, however it does have a little kick-up (which is fixed at 2deg), it helps the car ride the bumps a bit better, and has an "anti-squat" effect, which stops the rear from diving too much under power.

Lastly, what do the blocks in front of the A-arms adjust? (1-2-9, 2-2-9 etc...)

The 2-2-9 block is for 2deg toe in, 2deg kick, the 1-2-9 block is for 1deg toe, 2deg kick. The two deg toe (as in the kit) makes the car's tail a bit more stable, but also takes away a little bit of initial steering adn a tiny amount of straight line speed.

Last edited by sosidge; 04-09-2002 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:08 AM
Ian
Tech Regular

Originally posted by MikeR

Ian- if your motor performs anything like a 19turn spec mod then I would try 6.9 thru 7.5 final drive- then do the normal routine of watching for heat build up and checking for 5 min run times etc...
thanks mike and the others...i guess the 23t stock should perform near 19t spec...i'll try the gearing
Old 04-09-2002, 06:18 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by RBLove
I read where he was using a prototype car, but have been unable to find any pics or details.........
Yes, it's a prototype Pro4.......... winning at first appearance, hmmm..... not bad
Old 04-09-2002, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Default Tire help

I race on carpet with foams, but want to do some experimenting with rubber tires on the asphalt. What is the ticket for tire and insert? I will experience hot and cold weather here in Ohio. Traction is mediocre. I prefer advice with HPI products just in case I attend one of the Challenges.

Thanks guys...
Old 04-09-2002, 07:01 AM
Regional Moderator

hey guys i have had several emails asking why i sold my pro3
i just sold one of them to rb love i still have 2 more!
one im building and the kai pro3
dont worry i will always have a pro3
Attached Thumbnails pro3-my-pro-3.jpg  
Old 04-09-2002, 09:26 AM
Ian
Tech Regular

pro3racing-is that a double one way on your car....i see that the front and rear diff axle is purple??
Old 04-09-2002, 09:31 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Ian
pro3racing-is that a double one way on your car....i see that the front and rear diff axle is purple??
its not a one way...... its a rear diff made by ova.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:45 AM
Ian
Tech Regular

cool!very,very,very,very nice car
wished mine were nice as yours
Old 04-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: More suspension tweaking ?'s

Originally posted by DJ_GenR8
Can anyone explain a few things to me.......

First, what does it do to the car when you adjust the camber link settings (i.e, top or bottom holes on hub carriers and shock towers)

My second question is about castor. What will more or less give me? I'm using the stock 8 degree up front and the zero's in back. What will the new 3 and 4 degree blocks give me?

Lastly, what do the blocks in front of the A-arms adjust? (1-2-9, 2-2-9 etc...)

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!
I think your question has been answered on the HPI website just recently.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

recent report at rczone.com ....

"As the Touring Car Worlds are less than one month away a lot of preparations and practice is being made. The Worlds Warm Up Race has just been held in South Africa, and with a strong lineup of factory drivers from Losi, Yokomo, Xray and HPI some news and devlopment was awaited, so here we go.
All companies are of course going for the title, the prestige and fame it carries is important in competitive racing.
At the warm up race several intersting things were spotted, but most interesting was the prototype from HPI, could be the Pro4. The new HPI car has a full graphite chassis, upperdeck and shock towers, aluminium diff holders as well as alu steering and rear knuckles.

The center of gravity is ultra low, and the car has an incredibly smooth transmission which is fully adjustable, and as with the Pro3 disassembly and maintenance is easy.
It might be that the final car comes with aluminium shocks and not plastic like on the Pro3, but as production details have not yet been set parts and options will vary. Both shaft and belt driven cars have been evaluated and much testing has been performed by Hara and the rest of the HPI team in order to create a very powerfull package.

The car was by far the fastest in practice at the Worlds Warm Up race and Atsushi Hara won the Worlds Warm Up race with it. HPI will for sure release information about the car after sufficient testing has taken place and it's proven to be very fast as we've seen from its first performances."
Old 04-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cool, I thought I may have leaked something. I just figured all you guys knew about it already.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That is pretty cool. Testing shaft driven and belt driven versions huh? I wonder which they'll stick with for the production car?
Old 04-09-2002, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

awesome i want one, if anyone hears anything else as time goes on, post!
Old 04-09-2002, 07:47 PM
Regional Moderator

Team HPI is on the move Team Yokomo should be more careful Make this competition harder !! LOL
Old 04-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

HPI is coming out with Pro4 already?? Pro3's lifespan is kinda short?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.