Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the deal with this website?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default What is the deal with this website?

This site is getting slower and slower. In terms that most of you can appreciate, the site is flaming out. I have to leave the pages loading and come back later to see if they loaded.

Also, I have noticed alot less activity here which seems to be as a result of the slow webiste.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I totally agree. I first thought it was my wireless connection but after checking other websites and forums, the speed is lightning fast. It is just this site that is extremely slow. I like this forum a lot better than the others but the slow speed is making me not come on as often.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This was on 2/11:

Originally Posted by futureal
I understand people are frustrated, and we are doing everything within our power to help things along.

A few weeks ago our database server load effectively doubled or tripled overnight and we haven't been able to locate the problem. We're working on it as best we can.
2/22:

Originally Posted by bconver
We have been working hard to troubleshoot the slowness. Unfortunately we have come to the conclusion that we will be unable to make substantial progress until we move the forum on to our own servers.

We have moved up the migration schedule to Wednesday of next week. RCTech.com will be moved to a much larger dedicated server in our data center. Since it currently resides on a shared host we think the hardware improvement alone should be enough to speed up the site.

Once on our servers we will be able to take a closer look at the database connections and see what optimization can be implemented. We will also consider changing the current search feature to our own custom version. We have found implementing a less databases intensive search can have dramatic improvement in application performance.

I will continue to post here throughout the migration process to make sure everyone is aware of the latest status.

Brent
Internet Brands
There's lots of talk about the slowness in the R/C Tech Site Forum section, but I think a lot of people are just jumping ship until it gets fixed. It's too frustrating waiting minutes for pages to load.

All I got from Brent's reply was blah blah blah...
Old 02-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Brent,

I'd be willing to bet there are database performance issues - (Slowness). Yes moving it to beefier HW will help, but you need to address the DB performance, otherwise it'll still 'flame-out' - it'll just take longer to do it.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JasonP
Hey everyone -

I just want to re-assure everyone, that this issue has not gone unnoticed. Shane and myself have spent countless hours the last 2 weeks trying to sort out this issue, and have spent about 10 hours each since last night working to speed things up.

We've just implemented a bunch of new changes that we hope will give the site a bit more juice here - and we are going to be watching it closely to see how the performance behaves.

Please, I ask you all be patient - I know and understand the frustration some of you are feeling. I give you our word, we are working as hard as possible to resolve this. These are transition pains, and while regrettable were not unexpected. Transferring ownership of this site involves a lot of changes being made, very quickly by parties that have not worked together previously. While we are trying to keep this as smooth as possible, there are going to be hiccups during the process.

We shall see how the changes we've made help, and hopefully come Wednesday when the site is running entirely in Internet Brand's datacenter - we will be full speed ahead!

Again, thank you all for your patience and understanding. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jason
Nice. Things are looking up.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

its a little faster since everyone bailed haha
Old 02-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Robert.Hull
its a little faster since everyone bailed haha
haha yeah. i was hoping for a thread like this to pop up, and i was also hoping that the site would stop lagging... it almost seemed like they both happened at the same time