Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speed Passion Wireless Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why not just put out a couple of microwaves on the track? That way the marshalls can have a hot snack while they are stuck out there and my car will have plenty of grunt.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

oXYnary, you are right about generating electricity from a power plant still causes pollution, it's just that this would help to lessen the pollution if it really works as Speed Passion is advertising.

Certainly, this does seem to be the possible future of our hobby, but I just think the technology is not advanced enough to see it in R/C first. I definitely agree that we shouldn't knock it until it really is released. Yes, Spektrum would be a great example. Without the vision that some of these companies have for the future of our hobby, we wouldn't see any advancement in the future of R/C or in technology in general.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4220889.html

Should be an interesting year to see exactly what SpeedPassion is coming out with?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xtant3150c
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4220889.html

Should be an interesting year to see exactly what SpeedPassion is coming out with?
Good find, Xtant! I knew this technology was available, I just didn't hear anything about how safe it was and how much power could actually be transmitted. This is why I'm not expecting too much from Speed Passion. I'm sure that this technology could be the future, though.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

I think many people are confused about what this product actually is. From an engineering viewpoint it seems very apparent that this isn't the future of anything for RC. It is simply another box to add to your car. It wouldn't replace your current ESC, RX or battery, it would be used in conjunction with them.

At a guess, it uses coil technology to charge your battery 'wirelessly'. But it still has to be wired to the battery. At very best, it has an ESC built in but it would be twice the size of any other ESC on the market.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
I'm looking forward to having a mega-watt microwave transmitter right next to my head on the drivers stand... that will be awesome...
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrxnfx
Good find, Xtant! I knew this technology was available, I just didn't hear anything about how safe it was and how much power could actually be transmitted. This is why I'm not expecting too much from Speed Passion. I'm sure that this technology could be the future, though.
It still wont be nearly as efficient as a cord. Hence it would waste more energy and thus produce more pollution. Thats why I believe if this is indeed what they are attempting, is slap in the face to our intelligence with green marketing BS. Oh, dont get me wrong, Im a full fledged granola lover (as far as someone who races these can be). But I call BS when I see it.

The MIT researchers successfully demonstrated the ability to power a 60 watt light bulb from a power source that was 2 meters (7 ft) away at roughly 40% efficiency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiTricity
Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)
Default !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im still very unsure on what the hell this thing actually is?! is it a speedy with wireless motor wires? is it a speedy and reciver all in one with wireless motor and battery wires? OR is it a battery speedy reciver servo and motor all in one??????? WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS IT!!!!! : weird:

OR......is it the newest range of Speed Passion RC inspired mobile phone??!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

the only thing this could benefit at the moment is a mobile phone, as you can get about 15 milliwatts from the mobile phone networks that cover most of the earth's land. 15 milliwatts at 3.7 volts isn't much though! and a transmitter big enough to beam power at this device would fry anything next to it, electronic or biological.

it's simply not possible with what we have.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

We haven't been able to figure out what it is yet either...and were working VERY close with Speed passion?????

Originally Posted by crabboy
I'm still very unsure on what the hell this thing actually is?! is it a speedy with wireless motor wires? is it a speedy and reciver all in one with wireless motor and battery wires? OR is it a battery speedy reciver servo and motor all in one??????? WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS IT!!!!! : weird:

OR......is it the newest range of Speed Passion RC inspired mobile phone??!!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

I find it hard to believe that it is possible to power a 1/10 car wirelessly. And if it is, i find it strange that technology would come from a RC company...

But this picture makes you wonder...
Old 02-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

here is a pic of the chassis they had displayed at the TITC.
Noticed it on one of teh links on teh TITC thread.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Assuming it isn't an April Fool (Chinese New Year Fool perhaps) it looks like it is designed to pick up power from a trackside power source.

Race forever!!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like how nothing in that chassis is wired. In fact, the servo leads are cut off. Thanks for posting Itchy.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
I like how nothing in that chassis is wired. In fact, the servo leads are cut off. Thanks for posting Itchy.
lol its all wireless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.