Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
The Evicerator

SEAN C!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Sean Cochran;6200453]I don't normally run one on carpet. I would use it anytime there is low grip, usually on slick asphalt tracks.
Thanks.
E
Old 08-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Wow! Ran Sean C. 8-10 setup last night, fast, consistant and super easy to drive to drive fast. If you haven't tried this setup do it. I think you'll be surprised. Make sure you're using the same body type or I don't think the setup will work the same.

Thanks Sean.
E
Old 08-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Where can I find Sean C. setup for low bite asphalt? I would like to try it out. Anybody have a link to it? I searched the Associated website forums and no can find it in the 12r5 threads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you find one let me know, I'm also looking for one myself, 4cell low bite asphalt bumpy too.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sean,

Have you tried the new proline body yet? What do you think of it for carpet?

thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AVazquez
If you find one let me know, I'm also looking for one myself, 4cell low bite asphalt bumpy too.

Thanks!
I haven't run any asphalt so I can't help much. Try this as this is the only other asphalt set up we have used.
http://67.199.85.166/racing/setups/1...paved_2008.pdf

Originally Posted by kartermdb
Sean,

Have you tried the new proline body yet? What do you think of it for carpet?

thanks
I got to run the AMR last week. It seems pretty good, not a huge change from the Speed 12. It might make the car just a little more comfortable to drive at high speed, may be easier to be more consistent with.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I went to OCRC yesterday to play around with timing on my ESC (Speed Passion LP V1.1). I've noticed the past few weeks that my times are not improving, though I know my lines are. In summary, with every advance I made I was able to cut a few tenths of my times resulting in my first series of 9.9's (previously was running 10.5's on average). One of these days I'm going to pick up a Tekin RS or the LRP SPX, however for now, I want to see what I can get out of the existing speed control. Now to my question, how does timing advance relate to gearing / rollout ? Do I need to adjust rollout in relation to timing advance ? I just looked at Sean's recent setup (8/10) and it looks like his rollout is about 76.5. Mine yesterday was about 86.5. He uses an SPX (I believe) so I know it's different, but should I now look at adjusting rollout (lower) ? I think the car is fast enough on the straights (could always be faster I suppose), but it seems to me if I could pick up some low end I may pick up time there (as long as I don't lose too much top end). I'm new to this whole rollout discussion, so any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:04 PM
AE-Reedy

With the 1s battery it is very difficult to "feel" if the gearing is correct. The only way I have been able to tell is by checking lap times from beginning to end. I do know that if you gear up the car might go faster on the straight but you will reach a point when it is to much for the car to accelerate in the infield. The better the car drives, meaning the more corner speed it carries, the better able the car will handle being over geared.

Rule of thumb, if you increase timing you need to run a smaller pinion. I don't have any idea yet that if I add X amount of timing I need to drop X amount of pinion, it's still to new to me. Also it helps if you have another to car to run with to help gauge acceleraion and straight speed. That's why it's been so valuable to me to have McMoney to race with the last month or so.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Very helpful info and may shed some light on something I noticed. The 9.9's and very low 10's were in the first 15-20 laps or so. Shortly after that, I could do nothing to get better than 10.5's. I don't believe the slower times were a result of the tires as the car "handled" well the entire run. I'll try playing with gearing (lower) on Thursday to see how it goes. Thanks !
Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
The king pins are still 1/8th.
Cool thanks...kinda working on a side project thing and need to find parts of the right dimension. Sounds like this eyelet should work for my needs.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inconceivable
Very helpful info and may shed some light on something I noticed. The 9.9's and very low 10's were in the first 15-20 laps or so. Shortly after that, I could do nothing to get better than 10.5's. I don't believe the slower times were a result of the tires as the car "handled" well the entire run. I'll try playing with gearing (lower) on Thursday to see how it goes. Thanks !
1s Lipos are bringing back the strategy in 1/12th racing a bit (at least for a short period until the batteries improve). For the short term it doesn't feel like a 8 minute sprint we've all been dealing with the past 4-5 years. If you can get out front and make good time for those first 15-20 laps then having a soft car at the end may not be so big of deal if you put enough space between you and the guys running 10.2s-10.3s the entire run.

With that said I do think .5 sec drop off is too much. I've been seeing about a .2 drop off in 13.5 class but perhaps I'm undergeared? We will know more about what kind of drop offs to expect to see after the IIC is ran and we can analyze the results.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by jkirkwood
1s Lipos are bringing back the strategy in 1/12th racing a bit (at least for a short period until the batteries improve). For the short term it doesn't feel like a 8 minute sprint we've all been dealing with the past 4-5 years. If you can get out front and make good time for those first 15-20 laps then having a soft car at the end may not be so big of deal if you put enough space between you and the guys running 10.2s-10.3s the entire run.

With that said I do think .5 sec drop off is too much. I've been seeing about a .2 drop off in 13.5 class but perhaps I'm undergeared? We will know more about what kind of drop offs to expect to see after the IIC is ran and we can analyze the results.
I agree IIC will let everyone know where they stand. I think a .5 drop off is reasonable. The best I've been able to achieve at OCRC is .6 secs.

I think most of the drop off there relates more to the track and the grip level we have. I feel like the car wants to go fast but the tires just don't have enough grip at the end of the run. I've got the car working to the point it stays balanced through the entire run, it just can't maintain the grip level.

I think if we could run pinks or magentas it might maintain the laps better.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I agree IIC will let everyone know where they stand. I think a .5 drop off is reasonable. The best I've been able to achieve at OCRC is .6 secs.

I think most of the drop off there relates more to the track and the grip level we have. I feel like the car wants to go fast but the tires just don't have enough grip at the end of the run. I've got the car working to the point it stays balanced through the entire run, it just can't maintain the grip level.

word. We had pretty decent traction in Dallas this last week end and in both 17.5 and 13.5 1 cell 12th we saw some pretty small drop offs. .3-.4 in 17.5 and 13.5.

http://www.jlapracemanager.com/PC/Mi...und%20%201.HTM

http://www.jlapracemanager.com/PC/Mi...und%20%201.HTM

(disregard the title, were all running 1 cell lipo)
Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've got the car working to the point it stays balanced through the entire run, it just can't maintain the grip level.

We have been runing black front and pink or yellow rear with VERY little drop off at the end. As long as your not over geared that is. 2 to 3 tenths is about all we get.

DK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.