Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Video of 1/8th scale onroad in action

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's amazing how people don't read whats written and only see what they want to hear. Someone will design a NEW car especially for brushless in a 1/8th scale and I guarantee it will be two (2) , count them.. 1.. 2.. two belts ah-ah-ah. Today's episode is brought to you by the letter "B" and the number "2". The Electric Company
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Or as a 2wd car.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 PM
JCB
Tech Addict

very impressive!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Or as a 2wd car.
Oh please don't....the 1/10th is trying to come back, and I am sure it will die very very soon....
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are so many different classes to run it's rediculous to have 3 or 4 guys running in one clase each. Instead of fishing for something you can win in, why dont we just try to find something economical we dont have to throw money at tires once a week and just race.... sheesh!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

A neu 1515 i think would be the way to go... a 1515 1y/f would be sweet...

Ide also wait for the Tekin Or castle creations Speedo's to come out before i did a nice project like that...

I have a 1515 1y/f in my Buggy and its awsome combonation... i bit much for buggy but i think it would be perfect for Road cars
Old 02-16-2008, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Oh please don't....the 1/10th is trying to come back, and I am sure it will die very very soon....
Originally Posted by John St.Amant
There are so many different classes to run it's rediculous to have 3 or 4 guys running in one clase each. Instead of fishing for something you can win in, why dont we just try to find something economical we dont have to throw money at tires once a week and just race.... sheesh!

The reality is, with so many more tracks becoming larger and larger for 1/8th scale cars, larger electric cars are going to be a reality. It's inevitable. Locally, we have nothing really to race in the summer, as all of the outdoor tracks are gas-specific. If someone is not a gas racer, there are few options, if any. I bought a MRX4-R to race around here, but gas is still not appealing to me and I'm having second-thoughts.

I really don't think of this as creating a new class so that someone can win—hardly—but as a new option for those who don't want to spend $700 on a new nitro 1/8th motor and futz around tuning engines all day.

And a 2wd—read Sportsman"—electric brushless/lipo version would be infinitely less complicated than a gas 4wd car, very fast and far more appealing to many people on a larger scale.

There is a reason why there are people swarming to the off road conversions right now, and it's not to just create another class.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

We want to see more videos! It is great to see the nitro's been beaten by electrics!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thank you all for such great responses!

So far I have seen no real reason why a 2 belt version wouldn't work better.
My buggest problem building this car has been how much battery can I fit between the chassis and top plate.
Most all of the LiPo cells of over 2200mah are longer than 130mm and the current layout only lends itself to about 100mm X 80mm X 30mm. So, if a complete ground up design is feasable, running a 2 belt system would lend itself to a less obstructed chassis thus allowing longer cells equaling longer run times. I am using the HV Max 4.5 system from novak because I wanted a sensored motor and it simply fit the space better than most of the motors mentioned. I would love to try out the MMM from Castle if it ever comes out.
I think the key to making this type of car really scream is more voltage.
5s or maybe 6s 5000mah will yeild the rpm and should increase the run time to over 10 minutes.

One more thing on the belt issue...
It's true that narrower belts will be more efficient but keep in mind that these cars go over 70MPH and there is no such thing as a soft crash at these speeds. So while I agree that the drivetrain needs to be more efficient, It has to be strong enough to handle the loads of big, grippy tires on a big grippy track. Belive it or not, I was running 48 pitch gears on the car the day that video was shot. They held up just fine...

The 2 speed is not yet possible because in order to take advantage of the motor braking you must remove the mechanical brakes and servo.
Many of you with experience using 2 speeds should remember that it is designed with a oneway bearing. So, when you hit the brakes with the motor, the car will keep rolling.
Perhaps someday I will figure out a way to make the 2nd gear clutch stay engaged except for when accelerating from a slower speed.

Keep up the chatter and maybe we can get the attention of an established factory. I would like to eventually design a kit that will move forward with what could be concidered the pinacle of battery powered RC racing.
If there are any connected people reading this thread, perhaps we could work together to continue this project toward a particular branding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Talking

BUMP...
Old 03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That is pretty wild. I have been kicking the idea around of making a prototype 1/8 pan car. Maybe i will put something together and see what it can do. It would be nice to strip the car of all belts and go direct drive to the axle. It really makes for alot of electronics room.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by protc3
That is pretty wild. I have been kicking the idea around of making a prototype 1/8 pan car. Maybe i will put something together and see what it can do. It would be nice to strip the car of all belts and go direct drive to the axle. It really makes for alot of electronics room.
don't worry, we'll use it up!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would definatly like to see a 1/8 pancar or maybe a quick and easy electric conversion kit for the guys who already own 1/8 onroad. That way they'll have to ability to swap between chassis when they want and they can also keep using any spare parts they already have. If BMI made it, I would buy it

Either way, theres a world class facility pretty much in my backyard and I cant wait to see electric 1/8 cars flying around.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Rick,

How is the motor mount coming along? This is porra from radiocontrolzone.