Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CF TC5 LIPO Mounting Brace - Diggity Designs

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Thanks for all the compliments.. As for adding weight, we havent looked that for into it yet (possibility of making it out of aluminum) - I like the idea of using both verndogs piece for weight and this plate to ensure that the pack is locked in! this is just something we had come up with so we could run LIPOs without the battery moving from side to side.. The best part is that you dont have to do any modifications..

To the one who asked if the 3600 would fit, the 3600 is 1mm longer and 2mm wider, so you could use it but you would have to grind the plate for it to fit because it fits nice and snug on all the LIPOs we listed... Of course if it gets poplular then we will be making them in different dimensions for other packs as well!!

Marcos: Good idea, but you would have to grind and cut allot off of it, and the holes dont line up right, it would take allot of modifications to get that to work right..
Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Verndog
There would be no need for both. The TC5 base plate I have locks the battery to the chassis already, which appears to be the point of this carbon cutout.
Just seems that you would not have to use double sided tape on the bottom of the battery to secure it to the alum. plate.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

verndog, this plate will do what we talked about when i asked you about machineing in a lip to hold the battery in place, i understand the idea was to shoe goo or whatever to fix the battery to the plate but i wanted a way to leave the plate in the car, i think a combo of your plate with this tray is what i was looking for.

thanks to both of you for talking care of my needs, (my rc needs that is)

however i still want to use tape to hold the battery in. so i'm thinking, place lipo plate in, attach lipo tray to chassis, then dremel out tape slots.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Diggity
- I like the idea of using both verndogs piece for weight and this plate to ensure that the pack is locked in! this is just something we had come up with so we could run LIPOs without the battery moving from side to side....
Do you have the inside cutout dimensions (length and width and corner radius) that the carbon is cut to? I'll tell you right now if it will fit. I could mod one to fit if there are those interested in this as a combo. The one issue could be the amount that the battery has to lift up and over the lip to get inside of bulkhead. Also, do you have a weight of the carbon piece...I'd need to adjust the total weight to reduce the amount the carbon trap adds...easily done in my cad system.

After looking again I think that would have to sit on top (not base weight inside of it) of the base weight. One reason I left the base weight wide was to adjust the placement of the battery so a multitude of packs could be fitted, and the input wires would clear top deck and bulkheads. If that cutout is well placed, it just may work.

Or8ital...I was refering to using 1 set of weights. Yes, if each the battery carried some weight then 1 base could be used.

Last edited by Verndog; 02-12-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Verndog: PM sent ...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I hope you guys can get these to work together. Perhaps putting a non-slip surface on the weight to help keep the battery from sliding as extra protection.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
I hope you guys can get these to work together. Perhaps putting a non-slip surface on the weight to help keep the battery from sliding as extra protection.
We're working on it.

Adding a little 3M rubberized undercoating to the top of stainless plate would be fairly cheap and easy to add...wont chip or slide. One key maybe getting the carbon trap to hold an Orion type pack that has a radiused edge, an angled cut with a 5-7 deg. draft endmill may resolve that. I'll do some testing within the next week or so.

Another nice feature on the stainless base addition is putting a heat gun to the plate (not battery) will warm the pack and retain heat to keep the pack warm prior to racing. 90 deg packs have proven to give a performance boost....of course I would not recommend anyone try this.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Verndog, you the man! Diggity too...

Verndog, I think someone may have suggested this but do you have a version with only 5 of the 6 slots weighted so that weight can me moved forward or backwards?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
Verndog, you the man! Diggity too...

Verndog, I think someone may have suggested this but do you have a version with only 5 of the 6 slots weighted so that weight can me moved forward or backwards?
I dont...that would block one of the battery strap slots. I have an adjustable universal weight that the weight can be added in the concealed channel and it can be moved for and aft.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Diggity
Thanks for all the compliments.. As for adding weight, we havent looked that for into it yet (possibility of making it out of aluminum) - I like the idea of using both verndogs piece for weight and this plate to ensure that the pack is locked in! this is just something we had come up with so we could run LIPOs without the battery moving from side to side.. The best part is that you dont have to do any modifications..

To the one who asked if the 3600 would fit, the 3600 is 1mm longer and 2mm wider, so you could use it but you would have to grind the plate for it to fit because it fits nice and snug on all the LIPOs we listed... Of course if it gets poplular then we will be making them in different dimensions for other packs as well!!

Marcos: Good idea, but you would have to grind and cut allot off of it, and the holes dont line up right, it would take allot of modifications to get that to work right..
no it actually took me less than 5 minutes with the dremel and it lined up great it fit my CORE RC pack very well om my MI3
Old 02-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (97%+)

here is pic of my design and sent this to diggity to add to his this would solve both problems movement and weight

hopefully I will get the test one for free!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails CF TC5 LIPO Mounting Brace - Diggity Designs-little.jpg   CF TC5 LIPO Mounting Brace - Diggity Designs-tray-pics-002.jpg   CF TC5 LIPO Mounting Brace - Diggity Designs-tray-pics-001.jpg  
Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by twistedone
here is pic of my design and sent this to diggity to add to his this would solve both problems movement and weight

hopefully I will get the test one for free!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the idea.. Although I dont think having the weight out to the side is the best scenario. I think in the center of the car or in front or back of the pack would be better. Mike Stewart told me that the best material for adding weight would be tungsten weights. I am working with Verndog and also checking into other ideas for the weight solution!

Damon
Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

would like to see what you guys come up with but for now my car is balanced and at weight for about a 1/16th of the cost
Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Verndog
I dont...that would block one of the battery strap slots. I have an adjustable universal weight that the weight can be added in the concealed channel and it can be moved for and aft.

what exactly is the difference in this or the bracket I made besides mine sits lower in chassis?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by twistedone
what exactly is the difference in this or the bracket I made besides mine sits lower in chassis?
Lower is better I would assume just for the "bling" factor and that the jig itself weighs a bit so you dont have to use as many lead pieces? Im sure Verndog can answer this better..

Damon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.