Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Which radio would you suggest to get...? >

Which radio would you suggest to get...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which radio would you suggest to get...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 12:52 AM
Tech Regular

KO MARS EX-1 is the way to go. Doesn't drain you batteries like the M8, and it feels well balanced.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

I would strongly suggest M8, Some people has mentioned battery drainage issue, now here is the fact, since M8 has a bettery meter shown on the large display, and after I recharged it overnight and the timer shown 2 hours and 16 minutes useage and my battery pack drop from 11.0v to 10.3v and the owner's manuel said if it drops down to 9.2v it will still work! and there is a fuel pump icon showing on the right side screen showing battery meter in bars didnt drop at all!

Now in terms of cost wise, I think it's best for the price! especially with the functions. I paid $249.99 for a complete set, including TX, micro 3 channel RX, a set of Crystal, TX module, 2 standard servos, DSC connection cable, power switch with charging plug. besides you can also buy different channel crystal for around $30 a pair.

Bottom line is if there are so many ppl using M8 including those top notch drivers then there must be something right about the radio! it's just plain common sense!

Hope that will help narrow down your selection!
Old 12-30-2001, 05:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Ah10
I would strongly suggest M8, Some people has mentioned battery drainage issue, now here is the fact, since M8 has a bettery meter shown on the large display, and after I recharged it overnight and the timer shown 2 hours and 16 minutes useage and my battery pack drop from 11.0v to 10.3v and the owner's manuel said if it drops down to 9.2v it will still work! and there is a fuel pump icon showing on the right side screen showing battery meter in bars didnt drop at all!

Now in terms of cost wise, I think it's best for the price! especially with the functions. I paid $249.99 for a complete set, including TX, micro 3 channel RX, a set of Crystal, TX module, 2 standard servos, DSC connection cable, power switch with charging plug. besides you can also buy different channel crystal for around $30 a pair.

Bottom line is if there are so many ppl using M8 including those top notch drivers then there must be something right about the radio! it's just plain common sense!

Hope that will help narrow down your selection!
I have both EX1 and M8. The EX1 is small in size and easy to carry/transport because of its size but I have big problem to hold this thing even for 5 mins. My arm twisted in 2 mins because of the unbalance.

The M8 is a little bit heavier and its odd size is a little bit problem for transport but I feel that the natural balance of this TX is great and I dont get tired or having my arm twisted for holding it long time.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:09 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Manticore

I have both EX1 and M8. The EX1 is small in size and easy to carry/transport because of its size but I have big problem to hold this thing even for 5 mins. My arm twisted in 2 mins because of the unbalance.

The M8 is a little bit heavier and its odd size is a little bit problem for transport but I feel that the natural balance of this TX is great and I dont get tired or having my arm twisted for holding it long time.
Thats why you need a wheel extension or the 2000R!!! Then after that you need the 6 hours guided tour to remember how to use those crappy menu layouts on the EX-1 ....... but I still like my 2000R!!
Old 12-30-2001, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by dtm

Thats why you need a wheel extension or the 2000R!!! Then after that you need the 6 hours guided tour to remember how to use those crappy menu layouts on the EX-1 ....... but I still like my 2000R!!

even with the wheel extension, it is still not good !!
Old 01-01-2002, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

I use the CX2P, it is right for my hand and looks great. The receiver was a airtronic micro, it is the same one that comes with the M8. I am happy with what I got.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Me I like the JR r1 it has all the bells and whistles and is easy to uses menu ..
Old 01-10-2002, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by chippy
Me I like the JR r1 it has all the bells and whistles and is easy to uses menu ..
Oh I like the R1 very much too! but I decided to get M8 because:
1. Function wise pretty much the same, except PCM
2. M8 is lighter
3. TX battery pack doesnt drain as fast
4. Main reason is cost wise, I got a brand new M8 with TX,RX, TX module, a set of crystals, 2 standard servo(although I have no use of it) plus 2 extra sets of crystals, the total cost is still cheaper than a R1 with just TX and RX.

I was torn between the 2 like a month ago! I finally decided to go for M8.
Just my $0.02
Old 01-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

the ex1 is a gem. all the features, excellent ergonomic design, light, no excess baulky plastic.

only draw back is the screen is rather small, but i've never really been in a situation were i needed a large screen, except maybe if you like to look at pritty little throttle curves
Old 01-11-2002, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When you guys get old and cenile like me you need the biggest sceen you can get LOL
Running nimh can run 2 race days with out recharging 3 x5min heats and 30min final not a prob....
Old 01-15-2002, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

Who actually has a chance to look at the screen during a race? I know I never do in the middle of the race! I have the 200R (Number 1873 of 2000 WOOHOO) and it is just a good radio for me. It feels the best in my hand...other people are different so in a sense, all the top notch radios are good and pretty much do the same thing. Get the one that feels best to you.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default JR-1 Owner

This is what did it for me. I was going to get the M8, Jr-R1, or the Hitex Lynx.

Fortunatley for me, my LHS had all 3 in stock and i was able to hold all of them. To me the M8 and Lynx were to top heavy and the feel of the JR was just right.

This is where it think it comes down to. All the top radios have the same features (i believe the JR has the most) and its up to feel. Also, all the JR items are top notch, a little more expensive but way worth it.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Personally...

Well... if given the choice with

1) Very good controller
2) TX, RX receiver set
3) Battery pack
4) Crystal set
5) 2 VR servos

The most obvious under SG$600 will be M8. However, due to recent crash of frequencies in tracks, failed safe is a very good feature when you lost control of your car! Futaba 3PJS follow very closely behind because of it's failed safe and PCM.

Ultimately, if got the money... my choice? JR R1 is my no one choice!

Old 01-26-2002, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i like the hitec lynx 3d. my bro has one and i love the feel of it. it has so many features and with the novak combo i think this is the best deal out there. im going to get a lynx 3d. for 300$ you get a novak 5 channel rx , tx module and tx nicad pack