Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Inexpensive RC Body Paint... >

Inexpensive RC Body Paint...

Inexpensive RC Body Paint...

Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Inexpensive RC Body Paint...

Ive come to the conclusion Im nothing more then a spray can-paint job kind of guy. Is there an alternative to the expensive small cans of paint at the hobby store even if its just for the basic colors that will work for lexan?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I tried Krylon paint for plastic last year and it definately did not work. I was losing paint after the first run. I would guess the same for Rustoleum plastic paint.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

..... the paint issue plagues me too. It seemed more prevalent with my gas cars (on-road gas, touring) .Have either of you tried using 1000 grit (really fine) sand paper,then washing the body just before painting? -It does sound crazy ,I know. And also, due to cold winters [here], i've heated both the Poly carbonate body and the can-of-paint that i'm using just before and also during painting. An inexpensive hair dryer [on hot setting] to warm the plastic
body and hot water to warm the spray can.-I've used a hair dryer as opposed to a heat gun ( too much heat is not good for the Polycarbonate- take note, that I've wrote "warm" ). The same "Warming" treatment goes for the spray can- any aerosol can will typically explode when enduring too much heat- the temp. of water from my water cooler dispenser seemed to suffice.
I still can smack a barrier, whereby initiating a paint chip; the idea i'm trying to convey[ aside from me needin' more run / practice time ] is that my tips aren't fool proof.- Polycarbonate car paint cans [ie. Parma's faskolor , Spaztix] typically fit into a Dunkin'Doughnuts Med. size coffee cup when i'm using my method of warming [my spray cans].-Greg
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sandpaper is too much work. 00 steel wool works much easier, contours better, and does the job faster. Wash with dishwashing soap and dry.. I think that's in the instruction sheet that comes with most bodies...

If you've got an air brush just head to the craft store and buy up some of their cheapo acrylic paints for general crafts. You can get them for $1/each here, you need to water them down and no they aren't as good as Fastcolor or Createx but they work just fine for basic spray jobs. I've even thinned down the ultra thick gross stuff used for drawing on t-shirts straight from the bottle.

Some dollar stores carry it as well..but it all requires an air brush, which will save you money anyway even with the more expensive paints because you end up using less paint in the end.

...and yeah, I too have tried pretty much all the paints available at Fred Meyer. They all chip off as soon as the body flexes, regardless of prep.