Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SERPENT 120

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ran the car for the first time last night. I was NOT dissapointed! very aggressive, lots of steering, and very constistent. I only ran two packs, going to make some changes, try different set-ups. So far the car is very nice.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 AM
Tech Champion

this kit have what different ?
Attached Thumbnails SERPENT 120-ser-411178a.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

those look like the offset steering nuckles from the picture. everything else looks the same as kit
Old 01-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

Hello guys:

That kit has NO difference from the parts at the S120, is jus a kit for those that want to make their own version of their 1/12 from other brands.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Edgar Millenium
Hello guys:

That kit has NO difference from the parts at the S120, is jus a kit for those that want to make their own version of their 1/12 from other brands.
ok thanks !
Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Hello guys:

According to the press release on Serpent's Web site, "The set includes inch-type alu inserts, as many other brands still use that." Other than that, the rest of the parts are the same. Are the inch-type inserts 8-32 thread?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
I've started building my 120 and I have a question. The assembly of the front end shows the shoulder of the pivot ball facing up in one picture and down in another. What is the proper orientation of the pivot ball?

Carbon Joe - What degree caster blocks did Paul put on your car? 3 degrees or 6 degrees?
did anyone answer fuzzy's question about the pivot ball orientation? I Didn't see anyone reply, and I would like to know the answer as well.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kobiwan
did anyone answer fuzzy's question about the pivot ball orientation? I Didn't see anyone reply, and I would like to know the answer as well.
HI!

I been trying to understand the question, but I can't figure it out. Can you copy a photo of it?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

HI!

I been trying to understand the question, but I can't figure it out. Can you copy a photo of it?

Thanks
I don't have the means to copy a photo of it, so I'll try to explain it. On page 7 of the serpent manual it shows an illistration of how the front pivot balls are installed into the lower arms with the shoulder of the pivot ball facing up. But on pages 8, 9, and 10 it shows the balls with the shoulder facing down. the question is, which way is the correct way? Shoulder up or down?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Edgar,

I think what they are saying is that on page #7, the picture shows the lip on the pivot ball facing upwards. On page #10, when you are looking through the arms, it looks like the lip or shoulder is facing downwards.

On most other frontends (non Serpent), the pivot ball lip would go upwards when placed in the lower arm.

Steve
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

kobiwan,

Thinking about it for a second, I am sure the lip goes upward. From the pictures if you put the lip downward in the arm then the steering block would drag on the arm. If you put the lip upward then it would have a much smoother surface to ride on. This is the reason why on other front ends too.

Steve
Old 02-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

OK, I just saw what you mean. I have it upward, like Corally said. Mobers is on the way back to his house, but when I had a chance I will ask him.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok guys...just woke up from trying to get some sleep back after the Snowbirds. I wanted to thank Serpent and Serpent America for all their support and for providing me with a GREAT 12th scale car.

I ended up 11th but would have been in the main solidly if it weren't for some power issues that got a figured out a little too late.

I'll have the setup on the site soon...

Butter

P.S. the pivot ball on the front arms needs to be bevel up.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello,

I got my kit and started the front end. I am a very slow builder, but here are some feedback items so far. Also please do not get me wrong I am very happy with what I am getting in the kit. I just see room to improve some small details that would make the kit better. You can take them for what they are worth and file them in the trash if need be.

1) Cutting the chassis for the cells to sit as low as possible is standard on most kits. However these days we see better plastic molding then ever. My suggestion would be to cut the slots wider and include inserts that will allow the cells to sit as low as possible. This is not original in any sense but it is practical.

2) The kingpins and pivot balls have been talked about in depth. The only frontend I have liked in 12th for sometime now is the CRC Pro-strut. The reason being the kingpins and Darlin pivot balls. Reasons for liking them over what is in the s120. First fit and finish are spot on. Second the adjustment is done via a .050" hex on the bottom of the kingpin. This means that you don't have anything to alter the travel and suspesion performance. The notches in the S120 kingpins are a bit crude. There are issues with flashing from the cuts that have to be taken care of. Also you still feel the notches effect travel once you get it all sorted. Now I know this has been an issue so I am hoping that these comments could help in the revision of the mentioned items.

Please don't feel that I am bashing this very fine car. Markus, you did very well on the car. I feel the manufacturing of your vision is in ways lacking. With all that said I look forward to finishing the build. I will offer feedback on the rest of the build as I finish sections. Hope you don't mind.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr Granone
2) The kingpins and pivot balls have been talked about in depth. The only frontend I have liked in 12th for sometime now is the CRC Pro-strut. The reason being the kingpins and Darlin pivot balls. Reasons for liking them over what is in the s120. First fit and finish are spot on. Second the adjustment is done via a .050" hex on the bottom of the kingpin. This means that you don't have anything to alter the travel and suspesion performance. The notches in the S120 kingpins are a bit crude. There are issues with flashing from the cuts that have to be taken care of. Also you still feel the notches effect travel once you get it all sorted. Now I know this has been an issue so I am hoping that these comments could help in the revision of the mentioned items.
The kingpin issue has been resolved. I recently received a pair of the revised kingpins from Serpent America and the two issues with them have been corrected:
1) They are now the proper diameter and fit the factory pivot balls.
2) The wrench slots have been removed and are now installed/adjusted using a 1.5mm hex wrench.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.