Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic E4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Thanks for sharing you setup....once I am back from Florida, I will "TRY" to get my RS and FS ready....for some reason, I just love to try FOAM TIRES...(just for emergency, I still have the whole line of SCHUMACHER ready....LOL)

P.S...when will you be back on CARPET? Lets setup some meeting.....
Originally Posted by AreCee
OK, I did that and the ride height was hard to set. Do you precompress the springs (squeeze them) prior to installation?

Are you going to be racing at Jtec Loft? What foams work there and can I fit foams on the E4 Limited? Is it limited to 26mm in the rear or can 30mm fit?
Howard,
I'm hoping to get out to run this weekend either at the T/A series race @ Michiana R/C or at JTEC.

AreCee,
Probably. As for tires, double pink or magenta depending on which brand you run will work. The traction never gets super high so you won't need hard tires. I'll have to get back to you on the tire width, my foam car isn't finished yet so I can't say for sure if 30s will clear. With the springs, use the TC5 perches like Marcos has suggested, almost any springs fit with those on the shocks.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

JonnySocko, I think we may know each other but that's beside the point.

One more question, what would you suggest to use in the front on Jtec's carpet; one-way, solid one-way, spool or diff? It's been a very long time since I ran a TC on carpet, the last one was a TC3.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Howard,
I'm hoping to get out to run this weekend either at the T/A series race @ Michiana R/C or at JTEC.

AreCee,
Probably. As for tires, double pink or magenta depending on which brand you run will work. The traction never gets super high so you won't need hard tires. I'll have to get back to you on the tire width, my foam car isn't finished yet so I can't say for sure if 30s will clear. With the springs, use the TC5 perches like Marcos has suggested, almost any springs fit with those on the shocks.
On my E4 FS with KFactory aluminum steering blocks 30mm foams will fit if you use Tamiya wheel spacers. They rub on the front steering block. The wheel needs to be shimmed out 1mm
Old 11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

We used to use the 30s in the rear only and 26 up front but that was many years ago.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Why would you guys talking about 30mm and 26mm foams..? Please don't tell me you guys are using NITRO FOAMS for the indoor carpet foams...

Indoor carpet foams are all 28mm...wide, unless you want to trim them narrower...bare foams are 60mm diameter and you should start running them like 59ish mm and deal with the roll out...front tire foams are usually made in 2 different compound, harder on the edge and softer to the rest. At least that was the foams I was using last year...(long time no foams..)

Also, running foams for indoor carpet....only thing you want to use is FRONT DIFF. Oil should be thicker, and springs should be harder...and usually the shocks stand up pretty straight...

Dave....in order for you to use the regular TC spring, you MUST use the TC5 spring retainer piece (the lower plate thingy at the bottom of the spring)...otherwise, your E4 limited will be very limited because you will have 8mm ride height no matter how you dial it.

BTW....where is Jtec?

Also, you and Sockco were last raced at "THE TRACK" Trans-Am National and you were sitting like 10 feet behind Sockco...

Socko....good luck at the TA Race...I will be at Florida visiting Schumacher USA and Micky Mouse....also checking out their new indoor testing track @ Schumacher (if I am lucky enough...)
Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Howard, you are correct that the last time I used foams was on my nitro cars. Come to think of it I only used rubber for indoors.

Jtec is a track in Danville IL and they use foams with 10.5 BL. I figure that I'll go there a few times this winter since I live 80 miles away.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

AreCee,

I checked last night. Carpet foam tires (28mm like Howard said) do fit but they're really close. Also, front diff only for foam, slightly heavier setup for shocks but don't go crazy, you still want the car to roll a little.

The stock shock shafts are too long, same as the G4. Cut half the threads off the bottom and ride height will get easier to set. It will lower the piston in the shock body as well and keep it off the bladder when the shock is compressed. I had the same problem with my G4 and shortening the shafts helped not only with ride height but also with handling. Otherwise, the car will feel like it's riding on the bumpstops with the long shock shafts.

I'm sure I'll recognize you when I see you. I ran the Firebird at the VTA nats.

Howard,

As for 30mm tires, well....
Have fun in Florida.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The Wease
On my E4 FS with KFactory aluminum steering blocks 30mm foams will fit if you use Tamiya wheel spacers. They rub on the front steering block. The wheel needs to be shimmed out 1mm
Be careful with wheel spacers. It makes it much easier to strip the hex out of the wheel since the hub has less surface in contact with the wheel.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone!
I've been racing the whole season with the e4 on asphalt, 5cell rubber modified, with some succes. Next month I will attend the first indoor carpet race with the car and, since I'll have almost no time for practicing, I was wondering about a basic carpet set-up to start with. Control tyre will be sweep36 (!).
Any suggestion?

Thanks
David
Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys just planning ahead here.

I'm looking for a 17.5 set up for rubber on carpet. and info would great.

I"m in no hurry as I race 12 scale right now but going to a couple carpet races in the coming months.

I'm also looking a place that I can order parts from. would order from "wolf" but since they never got back to my emails on parts that were missing, and wrong part in my kits( took part from my 415), after my intial order. any info would be great

Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Martin
Hi everyone!
I've been racing the whole season with the e4 on asphalt, 5cell rubber modified, with some succes. Next month I will attend the first indoor carpet race with the car and, since I'll have almost no time for practicing, I was wondering about a basic carpet set-up to start with. Control tyre will be sweep36 (!).
Any suggestion?

Thanks
David
you can safely start with your standard outdoor set up
Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cyrrus
Hey guys just planning ahead here.

I'm looking for a 17.5 set up for rubber on carpet. and info would great.

I"m in no hurry as I race 12 scale right now but going to a couple carpet races in the coming months.

I'm also looking a place that I can order parts from. would order from "wolf" but since they never got back to my emails on parts that were missing, and wrong part in my kits( took part from my 415), after my intial order. any info would be great

Thanks
Hi,
Read your note. Not to worry. Try here .....

www.rcmanufactory.com

They have everything you'll need and some ...... lol
Their service is great. Thats the reason I use them !

Best of luck at the carpet races comming up .... I guess it'll be slightly slower then your 12th scale
Try using a spool up front Seams to help ...

British Menace
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Rookie

you can safely start with your standard outdoor set up
I'll do so.

Thanks, Marcos.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

all righty lets see where we start... Just got the car yesterday and started the build. i was impressed with the packaging and everything went together really easy. I was impressed. No problems until i came to the shocks dont know if 3 in the morning was the problem or working on the car for so long, but the shock caps felt like they were trying to cross thread??? anyone have this problem?

i am switching to this car from a tc5 so i have some setup tips.
1. i know its 3 belts and the drivetrain is tight, on my tc5 i cut out every other tooth and it freed it up alot? will this cause it to skip on a 17.5 10.5 situation with the aluminum pulleys?
2. how can i measure droop in the rear i usually measure under the hub? Am i gonn ahave to measure over ride height now?

Anyways car was easy to build and put together let you guys know tommorrow on how it does on the track. later guys thx for the help
Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For those of you who own an E4..

I just got my E4FS. I find that there is some play on the front and rear diff (Diffs are in the car and moves left and right). Is this normal?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.