Wiki Posts
Search

Is the OS TR Turbo a "cranky" motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Is the OS TR Turbo a "cranky" motor?

if anyone has one of these 5 port motors,I'd appreciate an opinion....My regular TR runs great..is the turbo just as smooth running?...(and easy to stay running?)...How does it compare to the std TR as far as power?....Thanks..
Old 06-25-2003, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have one, so far I'm pretty impressed with it's performance, it seems to get better the more you run it.
I have the optional"Hyper" head on it.
As for cranky...no way, it has to be the easiest thing to tune !
Old 06-25-2003, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

hey thanks......I finally saw a std TR ru tonite...we all have RB turbos in our Tc3 nitros...and they are a ROYAL pia....

this one guy got tired of tuning problems(we live in NJ..every day is differnt).....He popped in a std TR...and fnally broke it in...On our 125 ft roadcourse(with a 90 ft strait) he had it running at 200 degrees...and it went REAL well....and it stayed running....all night..It had better mid range than teh RB..

I figured with towers new pricing,get the turbo..

yours stays running also?.....I didn't want the turbo version if that was a PIA also....Hows the power compared to othger engines(and teh std TR)..thanks
Old 06-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Its an OS.....Ofcoarse it ISNT cranky!!!

OS Engines Rock My Socks
Old 06-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

this one guy got tired of tuning problems(we live in NJ..every day is differnt).....

Well, I live in Melbourne Australia, we are known for having 4 seasons in one day....no tuning problems, I use the OS P6 and P7 turbo plugs!

As for power, I reckon it has more torque than most Italian motors (except for the Collari),it has a very nice bottom end and midrange, but is maybe lacking a bit of top end compared to say a Rody RB.THe pipe might be an issue here, as I am using a ROAR legal, 5.2 mm stinger pipe.

Gearing is a big thing, it seems to like being geared slightly taller than what guys using the same car but say a Nova gear theirs.

regards
Old 06-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up O/Smotor

I have been racing nitro for years, and I have always purchased Italian based motors. I did buy a O/Str 3 port standard plug last weekend, let me tell you this motor has tons of bottom end. I broke the motor in at the track, and started runing it I was pulling R/B motors on every part of the track.
The 5 port is going to sacrifice a little bottom end but will give you more top end speed. I say the 5 ports are not R.O.A.R. legal so if you want some more power out of the 3 port just do some simple port work so the motor will flow more eficiently, wich in turn will produce more power.
thumbs up to O/S for a great little short stroke motor.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: O/Smotor

Originally posted by Slotmachine
I have been racing nitro for years, and I have always purchased Italian based motors. I did buy a O/Str 3 port standard plug last weekend, let me tell you this motor has tons of bottom end. I broke the motor in at the track, and started runing it I was pulling R/B motors on every part of the track.
The 5 port is going to sacrifice a little bottom end but will give you more top end speed. I say the 5 ports are not R.O.A.R. legal so if you want some more power out of the 3 port just do some simple port work so the motor will flow more eficiently, wich in turn will produce more power.
thumbs up to O/S for a great little short stroke motor.

Same here......I could not believe how hard the std TR pulled second gear in the nitro tc3....it was equal,if not better then ANY of the RB's running..including my own 5 port turbo..

ASnd that was on a 95 ft strait.....and at the end of that,it was still pulling........

And the whole night,the motor never even hiccuped.....

So I know the TR turbo will have good power.....

I just want to make sure it has the same tuning stability as the std TR.....and the same bottom end..

I have a never installed TR already..which will be good for ROAR events in my area...I'm looking for the turbo for tues nite racing.

Has anyone actually run both?..

Last edited by fastharry™; 06-25-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sp Racer
I have one, so far I'm pretty impressed with it's performance, it seems to get better the more you run it.
I have the optional"Hyper" head on it.
As for cranky...no way, it has to be the easiest thing to tune !

BTW,thanks guys for all your great answers......

SP..I called Hobbico product support..according to them,the hyper head only offers better cooling cause its taller...Besides that,did you notice anything else..

what was teh part # of that head?....
Old 06-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

it's not only taller but it's also bigger...

more cooling = better right?

part number is 72011000 Hyper Head (Outer) (that's what it says on the cardboard header!)
Old 06-26-2003, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sp Racer
it's not only taller but it's also bigger...

more cooling = better right?

part number is 72011000 Hyper Head (Outer) (that's what it says on the cardboard header!)
Go to tower and put in "hyper head"...see where it has all the heads for the TR at the bottom..whats the difference with TR (T) hyper for 60 bucks part #72010100 ??

BTW,it idles well and all that?...N0 adverse effects from running a turbo plug?...
Old 06-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys, i have a problem with my tr the compression is soo tight i cant get it too start what r ur methods on getting the thing to start?
Old 06-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I ran an TR turbo early this season. You know when the weather has a serious attitude problem. A small turn on the high speed needle. Thats it. Really once you set a motor there shouldn't have to do too much. Unless you have no idea what your doing, then you will have trouble with any engine. But Harry I know you know what your doing. The OS is a good engine.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Talking Nitro Nut

Originally posted by NitroNut
Hey guys, i have a problem with my tr the compression is soo tight i cant get it too start what r ur methods on getting the thing to start?
First I hope you have a decent starter box,If the motor wont crank because it is on its compresion stroke, use somthing to turn it ,get the motor right past that point loosen your glow plug 1/4 of a turn, and try to get the motor started that way after it starts tighten the plug back up.
As I said I broke my motor in at the track, ran it at 280deg. and it still hangs up on the starter box.
Have you got a chance to start breaking it in yet? and if so how did you break it in?
Good luck NITRO NUT...............R/C Painter
Old 06-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Hey thx ya i have a ofna 1/10 starter i tried loosening the plug but still no go will jus get stuck at top and then i have t manually take it out again bleh. stupid compression!!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Talking Starter

I have the new ultra starter box, and every once in a while I also have to get the motor off of the tight spot. Keep working w/it it will get better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.