Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Approves LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I can't believe all the complains over a lipo sack. It's a safety issue that probably won't be needed but if something ever happens you will be glad to have done the safety precautions.
Complaints? I think I saw one person joking make a comment about it and someone else with a valid concern about not being able to see the pack inside it. Lets not exaggerate. People are by far willing to accept the 'sack if if means the approval of lipos.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
The Lipo Sack rule is interesting.... and contradicts the idea that these are safe enough to legalize. You can't legislate common sense or care and usage by the racers at their pit table. I think having a lipo sack type thing in your pit area is a good idea... requiring them to be used during charging is going way overboard.

One of the great things about racing with lipos is not having to take the battery out of the car all day.

Allowing lipos = awesome. Overboard rulebook= not so good.

Still... thanks to ROAR for joining the revolution.
Originally Posted by or8ital
Complaints? I think I saw one person joking make a comment about it and someone else will a valid concern about not being able to see the pack inside it. Lets not exaggerate. People are by far willing to accept the 'sack if if means the approval of lipos.
True...I don't "like" it but I'll deal with it just fine. Just have to try and get one bought before every place is sold out...
Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

LiPo sacks?

Ugh.

When the guy next to me starts charging his NiMh in "M-80 Sacks."

I'm guessing this is one of those rules that will be bandwagoned by tracks that are nervous about them, and ignored by tracks that know anything about LiPos.

Ah well, progress is typically pretty slow, right? Glad that ROAR has finally jumped on board with current technology and is bringing brushless standards into electric racing. Things can only get better.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Thanks...

Thanks you ROAR for keeping up with the new technology! I've missed races that did not allow BL/Lipo and now that should be changing quick.
I know you have alot of pressure coming from the people that make money from the Sub-C/brushed guys and I'm glad you are making changes to benefit the racers.
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
Complaints? I think I saw one person joking make a comment about it and someone else will a valid concern about not being able to see the pack inside it. Lets not exaggerate. People are by far willing to accept the 'sack if if means the approval of lipos.
The penalty for not using the lipo sack as per the rules will be disqualification. ROAR is serious about this. Safety is a concern and yep.. in this litigious society, the organization and the host must be protected.

Regarding storing the Lipo in your car... that should never happen... just for your own safety and common sense...

read the storage of batteries portion....
Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good News !!!
hope after IFMAR can support use Li-Po
Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
The penalty for not using the lipo sack as per the rules will be disqualification. ROAR is serious about this. Safety is a concern and yep.. in this litigious society, the organization and the host must be protected.

Regarding storing the Lipo in your car... that should never happen... just for your own safety and common sense...

read the storage of batteries portion....
Missed that, sounds good! Thanks Dawn.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Lord

I imagine if a track hopes to continue to be insured by ROAR, they'll expect people to follow the rules regarding a charging bunker.

Safety is often inconvenient, and leads people to the mindset of thinking if something hasn't happened to them, it won't happen. Just like these NiMH explosions that happen nearly every race day aren't going to hurt someone since it hasn't happened yet.

Yes, the cells that pass these tests will be some of the very safest available, and hopefully nobody ever needs their bunker. But, even the best of cells can be susceptible to manufacturing defects. Look at the issues with the last batch of 4200 IB cells. Nobody thought those were a problem until a running change in the chemistry turned them all into little time bombs. God forbid that ever happens with an approved LiPo, but if it did, you'll be glad you were charging it somewhere safe.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Lord

CSRC sells a "Lipo Safe" bag as well, so those of you looking around to grab one up real quick might try there as well.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

so does Harbor Freight.. for less than $10.00.

Lipo Charging Sacks will be mandatory at ROAR sanctioned events. I only hope track affiliates understand WHY the rule is in place for their protection and enforce the use nationwide.

Anywhere an EXCOM member is present, you can bet a charging sack will be looked for in the pit areas.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

So now instead of being able to monitor your battery for any odd happenings, you basically don't know if something is going wrong until all hell breaks loose. Should make for some great YouTube videos.

Are there going to be extreme safety measures taken for exploding NiMh packs, too?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

As crazy as it may sound, is there plans for a "NiMh Sack"?

I have no problem with the rules for LiPo, just glad that we know have some. But through personal observation I have seen "rapid disassembly" occur more often with NiMh than with Lipo.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

This is great that Lipo is approved.

But I also think if you are gonna put Lipo's in a sack you might as well put Nimh batteries in a sack or something too.

It's easier to put out a Lipo on fire then say a IB/EP/GP whatever cell launching into someones eye. Heck look at the DHI pics and other big races where cells were launch across the room. I've seen pics of cells that blew up and shot through drywall! I have more fear of projectiles then a small fire on someones pitspace.

Again not to take anything away from what Dawn and ROAR has done. Making Lipos legal is great. But I would think while charging we might want to see if a Lipo was bulging or doing anything funny.

Probably doesn't matter at the club level anyway since tons of people are using Lipos without liposacks now.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, I don't want this to seem like complaining—because it's not—we are all VERY appreciative of what steps have been taken in a very short period of time for electric racers. This is FANTASTIC news.

To me, it just sounds like corporate lawyers got their hands on it and wrote the rules to C.Y.A.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Way to go ROAR!

Im sure we will all see some new products soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.