Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

m05's are now availible in the US, I've seen them @ ultimatehobbies and towerhobbies
Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

So are guys running setups on the M05 almost identical on the M03?

I just finished building my M05 Pro and its sitting in short wheelbase form. Just waiting on TRF mini shocks now.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan

I just finished building my M05 Pro and its sitting in short wheelbase form. Just waiting on TRF mini shocks now.
No
Old 07-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan

Old 07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
No
So tell us what works then.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hello Dan,

I initially started with that approach, however I have found that running the springs softer on the front and harder on the rear let the car work better. The steering lock is greater , therefore you need to change the EPA on your radio.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
So tell us what works then.
What I post doesn't really matter. Maybe you should wait for TFG or Calvin.

Ok I see Calvin already posted
Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default M05 Pro Ordered From Tower Hobbies

New to this board. I just ordered my M05 Pro at Tower Hobbies (still available in limited quantities).
Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default trf shocks

Hi all

for those who have the m05 already and have trf shockers on them what weight oil are you using in them and what springs?

any info would be great

thanks
Old 08-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Testing today has shown us that running a softer front spring and harder rear spring seems to suit the MO5. I ran a short TRF red up front and had a short blue TRF on the rear. This was later changed to a short TRF yellow.

My shocks:

M Chassis TRF built per instruction, except for pistons:
Front
50 wt oil
Three hole piston
Red Short TRF spring

Rear

40 Wt oil
Three hole piston
Yellow Short TRF spring

In testing today, again differnt tyre combinations were tried and also different springs front and rear. We did not play with ride height, something for later. We only run 55mm diameter mini tyres, with different inserts and manufacturers. Jeff and I had some minor differences in our MO5 Pro's, he runs two hole pistons up front and uses lighter oil and has his ball stud in the front knuckle in a different hole. His car seemed to corner a little tighter, however this could be in the differences in our radio setups.

The MO5 has more steering throw, than the MO3. I have restricted this in my radio, using the end point adjustment. This will make the car easier to drive. If you are using the MO5/MO3R alloy knuckles you can also adjust steering response by moving the ball stud either forward or rearward in the knuckle.

I believe that your own MO5 setup will depend on the radio you are using and your local track conditions. I can say that last night that with some testing and spring changes the car went from being a dog to being very easy to drive. This also showed in that my lap times got faster and were comparable to my MO3 times.

We have found at our local track that the MO5's do have a higher corner speed and are some what easier to drive. At this time we are still testing and developing our setups. Both of our MO5's are in the longwheel base configuration. Why, because we both like that wheelbase. Both cars are presently running a tight TAO3 ball diff and we are both pushing each other. I believe a future test will involve tighter diffs and more tyre combinations.

The best thing is with two or three people testing at the same time, you can get results quicker. I definately don't rate myself as a quick mini driver, but I do like to push the limit of my car and myself. The other thing is if something works I would rather share it than keep it a secret and not help others to be competitive.

I think we should all do some experimentation and find what works and then share it on the forum.

Happy mini racing. Apologies if I sent half of you to sleep.

Regards,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 08-01-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: xtra text
Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Servo recommendations?

Looking to buy a servo for my m03 mini at HobbyPartz.com

Any recommendations on which servo to buy?
MG995 T-Pro 55G Metal Gear Servo?
Hispeed3003? Junk?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

MiniU4IA,

After last nights racing, I would suggest buying a metal geared servo for your mini. I managed to strip the gears on my Futaba plastic geared servo. Also the added speed is good.

Just my opinion. I will be not using a cheapy again.

CYA,

Calvin.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
I think we should all do some experimentation and find what works and then share it on the forum.
Calvin,

I agree wholeheartedly. I'll be running my M-05 for the first time tonight and plan on playing with different setups (mainly tires right now). I'll report back on what I found!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here are some results from the testing I've been doing. We run indoors on grippy carpet.

I tried using the harder springs in the rear of my car, but I found it became a bit tail happy, with the rear swinging out too easily. I found this to be the case with almost any combination of tires.

The setup that's working for me at the moment is 65 wt. shock oil front and rear (though I'll probably soften that up a bit to reduce wheel chatter) with 3 hole pistons. Blue springs in the front with reds at the rear.

I tried several tire combinations and currently have Tamiya 60d slicks on the front with S Grips on the rear. My favorite tires, the Team Powers pre-mounts, are also fabulous on this setup.

I've tried using the stock as well as an alloy steering knuckle and I've found the stock one works a little better for me. I may mess around with this a bit to see if I can get a little more Ackerman effect.

Has anyone messed with toe yet? Just wondering if the car might benefit from a little more.

Jim
Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Default HW BL

Calvin,Tony: Thanks for the input re:upgrading my Mini. This HW BL 13T 3000kv system will be my next investment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.